Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutabaga on the egg

Options
First try with rutabagas on the egg. I diced them, bagged with EVOO and seasoning, on the grill at 350 - 400 for 40 minutes or until they are brown to suit. They turned out great with a slight sweet taste. Didn't think to post until they were gone so no pics. Anybody else done rutabagas on the egg?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have not, but neither did you since there is no pic. You know the rule....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    When you say bagged, is that just for coating?  What did you put them on/in when on the grill? 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rutabaga is like, not meat, right? Congrats on what I am sure was an excellent cook. But to answer your question, no I have not cooked Rutabaga on my BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    When you say bagged, is that just for coating?  What did you put them on/in when on the grill? 
    Yes, bagging just to coat with EVOO and seasoning. I used a shallow baking pan in the egg. Other than the smoked flavor, the oven would work as well.

Eggo in N. MS
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I call bull sh?t. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I love rutabagas, but my wife has been slow to like them.  Recently, she's tried them and is warming up to them.  I need to try egging them like you did.  Have you ever heard of rutabaga fries?  I have a vegan friend who swears by them.  Might try those out next. 
  • eggo
    Options
    Rutabaga fries, yeah, gotta try some. Got to be good.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I have crawled this planet for 56 years and tried every edible thing.  There are three things I refuse to consume ever again, and rutabagas are one of them.  
    Nothing personal.
    Unless you also eat beets.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    Never acquired the taste for rutabaga even though my mom has cooked it all my life for Thanksgiving.  My wife tried it last Thanksgiving, before she was my wife and she apparently liked it.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've cooked it before as part of a root vegetable hash.  I prefer it prepared with other veggies.  Same as with jicama.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I grew up eating rutabaga's that my grandmother would cook with a little bacon grease.
    They sure tasted great, but I had to be careful and not overindulge.....they could lead to a very upset tummy.
    All things in moderation.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    @Hawg Fan , that looks great.  Any particular recipe you use for the root veggie hash?  That might be a good compromise for my wife. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    I have crawled this planet for 56 years and tried every edible thing.  There are three things I refuse to consume ever again, and rutabagas are one of them.  
    Nothing personal.
    I love beets, but what the hell is a rutabaga?
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    edited January 2016
    Options
    looks great, never thought to roast them. ive egged them before in beef stew and potroast and like to add a little to mashed potatoes. have fried them as hash with corned beef after the st pats day boiled dinner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Botch said:
    Nothing personal.
    I love beets, but what the hell is a rutabaga?
    they look like giant turnips, my supermarket even labels them as turnip sometimes
    fukahwee maine

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Thats because they are turnips. 
    http://bfy.tw/3qFP

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• fishlessman
    Options
    the big waxy purple colored turnips in the bins are a turnip/cabbage cross, but those are rutabagas, the little turnips sold in bags that look more like huge pale radishes are true turnips.
    fukahwee maine

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    the big waxy purple colored turnips in the bins are a turnip/cabbage cross, but those are rutabagas, the little turnips sold in bags that look more like huge pale radishes are true turnips.
    Quoted from Wikipedia:

Etymology[edit]

Harvested roots
    Harvested roots waiting to be prepared

Rutabaga has many national and regional names. Rutabaga is the common North American term for the plant. This comes from the oldSwedish dialectal word rotabagge, from rot (root) + bagge (short, stumpy object; probably related to bag).[2] In the U.S., the plant is also known as Swedish turnip or yellow turnip.[citation needed] The term swede is used instead of rutabaga in many Commonwealth Nations, including much of EnglandWalesAustralia, and New Zealand. The name turnip is also used in parts of Northern and Midland England, the Westcountry (particularly Cornwall), Ireland, Manitoba, Ontario and Atlantic Canada. In Scotland, it is known as turnip, and in Scots astumshie or neep (from Old English næp, Latin napus).[3] Some areas of south east Scotland, such as Berwickshire and Roxburghshire, still use the term baigie, possibly a derivative of the original Swedish rutabaga.[4] The term turnip is also used for the white turnip (Brassica rapa ssp rapa).[3][5] Some[who?] will also refer to both swede and (white) turnip as just turnip (this word is also derived from næp).[5] In North-East England, turnips and swedes are colloquially called snadgerssnaggers (archaic) or narkies.[citation needed]

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I guess we're both sorta right on this one depending on where you live.

• fishlessman
    Options
    I guess we're both sorta right on this one depending on where you live.

yep, its like a pike can be a pickerel, walleye or pike

B is a rutabaga =)

fukahwee maine

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Turnip

• eggo
    Options
    I don't remember a wax coating on turnips. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @Hawg Fan , that looks great.  Any particular recipe you use for the root veggie hash?  That might be a good compromise for my wife. 
    @Dyal_SC No particular recipe.  In the picture I roasted diced rutabaga, carrots, golden beets, and potatoes after misting them with EVOO and adding some rub for seasoning.  About 5 minutes before they were done, I added diced red pepper and garlic to the mix.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • eggo
    Options
    Gotta try that soon.
    Eggo in N. MS