Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

winter or summer egging?

Options
2»

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Prefer summer but the egg is used year round. I'm just not a big fan of lightening.....
    IL 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Egging knows no season at our house
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    One weekend last summer my neighbor had a yard sale. It started on Friday morning and they shut it down Saturday night. He had an old patio umbrella on a rickety POS stand he had asked $5.00 for. Nobody offered him a dime. Well as luck would have it, I was grilling with the BGE and a storm blew up, I offered a dollar, he took it. It is now my foul weather gear for when I am Egging. Looks like shid, MBW hates it, but it is the least expensive accessory I have purchased since becoming a BGEr. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    One time, at band camp...
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    One time, at band camp...
    I am sure there was more. I just got too crazy to remember it all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    No seasonal preferences here. However spring and fall tend to yield better results as I don't have to chug the beer to keep it from getting warm/freezing. 

Who am I kidding, I drink the beer quickly anyway! :-)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I egg year round, but when it is cold AND windy, that tends to keep me indoors. Just cold, with snow, not a big deal. It's the wind I really despise.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I egg year round.  I do however hate winter and cold/windy weather.  There's a slight reprieve in grilling and smoking food in the dead of winter to give oneself a taste of warmer weather and days to come.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I like the summer better because I can see what the hell I'm doing. Night cooking sucks. 
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I like summer or spring better. My egg doesn't stop in winter but definitely sees less cooks than summer. That also has to do with my job. As a principal there isn't as much need for me to work late with no kids in school. I spend time in the winter on the ski slopes to get through the colder months.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Move to south Georgia, you'll experience both in the same week!
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    F*^k me, it's cold!  18°f outside.  Doing a quick pork tenderloin (with mickey's coffee rub).  The egg is 5 steps from the door.  Clear out the ash, toss in some new lump, a chunk of apple, and a starter cube...and my fingers damn near fall off.  I take summer egging every day, all day.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Fall. Football and friends over eating out on the deck. F@@k summer in the south. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    The thing I enjoy most about winter egging is warming my hands on or hovering them close to the ceramic. The starting and cooking is no problem, but when it's cold I don't particularly enjoy cleaning out the ash if needed before firing it up. I do enjoy the reaction and envy that follows whenever someone finds out you were "grilling" last night in frigid temps.
    Stillwater, MN
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I hate cold weather.  New York strips in July in Phx when it is hotter than Hades with grilled corn and 2x baked taters is hard to beat.  Lotsa ice cold beer and a dip in the pool before the meat goes on, and after we eat works well too.   

Yesterday i smoked ribs for the games and it was in the 40s early AM and i was miserable.   My knees and back have a hard time when it is chilly too.   Plus cold and flu season are made more miserable when it is cold outside....

Heat heat heat....
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Year round here, although much more often in the winter. Of course, winter here is like summer for many of you.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I cook outdoor all year long- I prefer summer and that means even over 100 degree days over cooking in winter.  Winter here usually means rain, wind and shorter days.  Just more flexible in Summer.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Winter/ Summer Eggin.........YES!!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    F*^k me, it's cold!  18°f outside.  Doing a quick pork tenderloin (with mickey's coffee rub).  The egg is 5 steps from the door.  Clear out the ash, toss in some new lump, a chunk of apple, and a starter cube...and my fingers damn near fall off.  I take summer egging every day, all day.
    told you so.