Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

winter or summer egging?

Can't decide what season I like better.  But you can't beat some DO chili with a hint of hickory on a cold day.
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Summer!

I dislike cold weather! I moved from PA to Texas for warmer weather, just still not far enough South! I think it was in the upper 20s this morning, at least tomorrow will be warmer.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You cannot put a seasonal (or any other discriminator) temperature on the SWMBO escape time afforded by a BGE cook- geography be da-ned.  Or, It is all good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I like cooking on the egg in the winter and it seems to impress people that I am dedicated enough to cook outdoors while it is snowing.

Gerhard
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I cook year round. The wind chill right now is -8. With that said I prefer not winter. Enjoy sitting outside with the egg and smelling what ever is on the egg cooking away. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I egg all year round in CT.  The older I get, the less I look forward to freezing my ass off.  Until I move south, I will press on though.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If I lived in Florida, I probably would never step outside in the summer. Winter sounds nice though. Here, summer cooking is MUCH preferred! Especially those like last summer. Not once did I turn on the AC! 

But it's a moot point. There's no way I'd ever live in Florida. =)

And as for chili, what does the weather have to do with it? Good chili is good chili.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Yes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    TN_Egger said:
    Can't decide what season I like better.  But you can't beat some DO chili with a hint of hickory on a cold day.
    Clearly you don't have a clue what "cold" really feels like. Move to Minnesota or Canada and ask that question. You will laugh yourself out of the room. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I prefer Spring and Fall when the temps are more to my liking but I will grill year round.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Like both.....this time of year is for hearty stews and chile's. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Heat is uncomfortable but cold hurts.  Itll be 70 in phoenix this week, perfect bbq temperature.  No humidity either which is nice...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Heat is uncomfortable but cold hurts.  Itll be 70 in phoenix this week, perfect bbq temperature.  No humidity either which is nice...
    Rub. It. In. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    There's a difference?  Tim in SoCal  not SoCal Tim. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Outstanding!  No season!  Egged food rules every day brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • It's been brutal in Kansas this January, so the pellet grill has been doing a lot of the cooking. If it gets in the 40's, it's back to the egg!  Miss the good smell of meals on the egg!  Something about the aroma of lump and beef gets me excited about spring and summer cooks!
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Can't discriminate 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I prefer spring & fall but there is nothing like a big chunk of cow smoking away in a snow storm 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Winter, always winter. Best time of the year! It's 10 F right now, very refreshing.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    One of my favorite sights is walking around the corner of my house on a crisp  10 degree day with no wind, and seeing that sometimes ten foot vertical "shaft" of smoke coming out of the daisy wheel.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Summer - Have not used the Egg on over a month and a half and probably wont for another 3 at least months.

I hate winter.  And now that it is getting colder in the North East I hate it more - Each year the cold gets worse on me.

Florida - YES!  One year maybe...

Garnerville, NY
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Winter, always winter. Best time of the year! It's 10 F right now, very refreshing.
    And a potentially major snow event on the way!  Looking forward to people losing their minds.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Acn said:
    And a potentially major snow event on the way!  Looking forward to people losing their minds.

@Eggcelsior, I like cold when I am doing an activity like skiing or hiking. But to have 10 degrees and leave to take kids to school or go to grocery store? You can have that $hit. @Acn is right, people lose their minds where I am from with "cold" weather.

To answer the OP, I guess I prefer summer, but Columbia summers over 100 with heavy humidity is just as bad as 10 degrees in my book. I like the months where I can sit on porch and egg with beverage in hand and think about life, not how hot or cold I am.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Year around cooker here. Winter keeps my beer cold so that's a real plus! Only weather that I don't like to egg in - but I still do anyway - is in a heavy rain - but snow is fine with me. Guess I prefer my moisture in a bottle or in flakes but not in drops! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    @chubbs - I agree, Spring and Fall are easily my favorite seasons.  I do prefer cold weather to 95 degrees and 98%humidity.  I Hate August where all you can do is sit in your own sweat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Year round, 365, but summer is kinda miserable.

It's nice now, as I post this from the hammock.

Phoenix 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited January 2016
    Year round, just as often in the winter as summer, prefer summer obviously, but it really doesn't matter to me what the temp, or what to cook.  
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I prefer summer, but I'll shovel snow to get to my cookers.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    All year round in South Texas.  But the pool sure comes in handy in the summer...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @TN Egger I love the pic of your DO with the chili... It captures the atmosphere so well... Awesome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....