Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why's my pizza so smokey tasting?

Options
2»

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    If you can get it, el diablo mesquite burns hot amd burns a looong time.  Costco has it, amd you can find mesquite lump at and Mexican grocery store.  Its worth it.  Let it burn a while though so the smoke flavor burms off

Also coconut charcoal id flavorless and is awesome for making za. Good hot fire.  Spendy but worth it.   Amazon prime
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    seedman76 said:
    Hi folks.  New egghead here.  My first cook was two pizzas.  About a week later I did a third.  The crust and top turned out great but all have been way too smokey tasting.  To the point you can't taste the pizza itself.  All you taste is this smokey flavor...no crust, sauce, pepperoni, etc.  I cooked them at 500 on a pizza stone.  Platesetter legs down.  Stone on top of platesetter.  BGE brand lump.  I did some research on the cause and came across several posts with similar results.  Suggestions were to make sure the lump is going good before putting pizza on.  Make sure daisy wheel is open to allow smoke to quickly exit the dome.  Control temp with lower draft door.  Therefore I made sure I did all that with the 3rd pizza I cooked this week and it was just as smokey as the first two.  I love how they turned out except the smoke taste overpowers the pizza and I'm a huge fan of pizza so I need to taste the real thing.  Thanks for any suggestions.     

@seedman76 dude ...you're baking it in a smoker...duh

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    jtcBoynton said: Dough is cooked by conduction and the toppings a combination of convection and radiant heat. 
    I'd like to know where you're getting radiant heat from to cook the toppings? Any radiant heat is from the red hot burning lump to the platesetter. The small amount of radiant heat getting past the platsetter is mostly absorb by the egg's upper dome.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The dome absorbs heat during warm up and then radiates it back out. That is why it is important to have a long warm up. That is also why height of the pizza stone makes a difference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    It also helps to get the pizza as high in the dome as you can to get the toppings browned.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer