Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen scale

Options
Looking for recommendations on a scale.   Need at least 20# maximum.  Hoping to spend less than $30....anyone got any good leads... Thanks

Comments

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use the My Weigh KD8000 bakers scale. But it only weighs up to 15lbs. I use it mostly for baking. 

oh I double checked, I guess it goes up to 17.8 lbs or there abouts. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love my OXO food scale with the very handy pull out display. But it only has a 11 pound capacity. Whatever brand you buy just make it has the zero function which also is called the tare weight ability.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What do you need to weight in the kitchen that is 20lb? You cooking for@SGH? This on amazon has good reviews. If you are looking for baking I would get a more sensative scale with a lower lb rating like this. I have a more expensive scale that does more weight and when I tare it is will change by plus or minus a gram or 2 which is big when baking. Probably better to get a sensative baking scale then a less sensative scale that will handle the weight. http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453168141&sr=8-3&keywords=Kitchen+scale
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Lit said:
    What do you need to weight in the kitchen that is 20lb? You cooking for@SGH? This on amazon has good reviews. If you are looking for baking I would get a more sensative scale with a lower lb rating like this. I have a more expensive scale that does more weight and when I tare it is will change by plus or minus a gram or 2 which is big when baking. Probably better to get a sensative baking scale then a less sensative scale that will handle the weight. http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453168141&sr=8-3&keywords=Kitchen+scale
    I have a 12 lb one that we use all the time but I am dry aging an 18# rib roast and I'd like to weigh it after 45 days to see weight loss.  Maybe I'll just step on the bathroom scale and then grab the meat =)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My old Starfrit has max 5 kg and satisfies most of my needs.  Agree with @Lit , what I really need is a more sensitive scale for baking, curing, sausage making and potent curry spices from scratch. If you have a digital luggage scale, it comes in handy for weighing large qty. 

edit: just read why you're looking for a larger scale, a digital luggage scale will be perfect for that. Just hang the roast from the scale with two loops of butcher twine.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I have a 12 lb one that we use all the time but I am dry aging an 18# rib roast and I'd like to weigh it after 45 days to see weight loss.  Maybe I'll just step on the bathroom scale and then grab the meat =)
    Dan,
    Since my OXOI tops out at 11 pounds I skip the bathroom scale and instead record the weight stated on the package when I bought the sub-primal. Then after I have dry aged it I cut the piece in half and weigh each, add them together and compute my weight loss. 
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @RRP so if a 600 lb wrestler can't find a Large bathroom scale he should chop off an arm and a leg  =)  just funnin with ya  ;)
    canuckland