Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Lighting Method- Better Burn

After all the Discussion on 'how do you light' I took a different approach today.  My last burn was a ~9 hr brisket and hadnt opened it up since it snuffed out.  I (correctly) assumed wouldnt be much in there today and rather than dumping new in I scooped it all out and put in my chimney and added all new lump to egg.

Worked very well- the small pieces lit quickly in chimney on Gasser and the lump lit well in the Egg.

Anyway onto the cook- wanted to do an upright chicken at ~300 or so until done.  This egg just likes running at 325 regardless of X, Y, Z so thats what you plan for.

The real fun though was making bread, very easy to quickly raise egg from 325 to 450 and get the DO up to heat- after seeing this last week I knew me and my youngest needed to try it.  Here is our finished product.  

Great Sunday Lunch Meal
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• I may need to try the chimney side burner method. I've got a gasser as well.

The bread looks good. We always have issues getting our dough to rise.
    XLBGE w/ Woo2

Memphis, TN
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    fakewiig said:
    I may need to try the chimney side burner method. I've got a gasser as well.

The bread looks good. We always have issues getting our dough to rise.
    I used the side burner w/ my stick burner, worked great.  Saw someone just do it with newspaper and thought that seemed easier.  Ended up back on the side burner as it get good ignition very quickly.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I use the chimney to start. I have an old webber I use to set it in to start it, then dump it into my egg. Flawless.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Great looking bread!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    That was about the only thing I used the side burner on my trusty old Weber Genesis 2000 for - to light Kingsford or lump for my other grills.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    YukonRon said:
    I use the chimney to start. I have an old webber I use to set it in to start it, then dump it into my egg. Flawless.

I do the same thing - tried the weed burner,and a hand torch, but I prefer the chimney method.  

I've bought the kettle specifically as a "chimney holder / chimney storage" - it has never been used as a grill.

Phoenix 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've been trying my old chimney recently.  I used to just use alcohol directly on the charcoal but that took a while to come up to temperature, so I have now loaded up the chimney, sprayed some alcohol in the middle of the egg and put the chimney on top of it and tossed a match through the holes in the chimney at the bottom. In about 10 minutes the area under the chimney is glowing and I dump the charcoal and spread it around.  Very fast and it seems to burn off the VOCs quickly also.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Great looking bread
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    blasting said:
    YukonRon said:

I do the same thing - tried the weed burner,and a hand torch, but I prefer the chimney method.  

I've bought the kettle specifically as a "chimney holder / chimney storage" - it has never been used as a grill.

The only thing I used my webber for, since owning an egg, other than a fire starter, is cold smoking. I use ice to cold smoke, and I get a little nervous about possibility of steam in the eggs. It is handy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    blasting said:

As soon as I got my Egg, my kettle was relegated to chimney starter and plate setter landing pad duties.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    I like the idea of using the gasser to light up the chimney stove. My issue is that the gasser has no gas. I use mail circulars or pages from a phone book to fire up the chimney starter.  One phone book alone is good for about 100 lights.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Excellent looking loaf of bread!  Looks like another excuse to get a DO!
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Bread looks great, do you have a recipe?
    War Damn Eagle!
  • I light mine the same way. It gets you cooking fast. Works good for long cooks too. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

I do exactly the opposite.  stir the old coals in the egg to let the dust go through, then add new lump to the chimney and start it on the side burner of the gasser.  when they're nice and hot, add them to the egg.  then I know that all of the lump in there has gotten really hot once in it's life and hopefully any funk has been burned off.  starting the chimney with the side burner is super fast...

my only problem with the side burner is it's a little precarious and a lot of sparks fly...  kind of dry around here right now and I'm worried about sparks hitting the wood fence so I may go back to oil and paper or rutland starters

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle