Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fried Spare Rib Flap Meat & End Bone. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Most folks, however not all, remove the flap meat or skirt along with the end bone from spares. This is done for many reasons, cosmetics not withstanding. Rather than throwing this incredible meat away, here is what I do with it. 
Cut into finger steaks after removing from spares. 

Coat with FF.

Fry at 300-325 degrees until done. 

The end/drop rib in the foreground. 

The end result is a incredible snack. The fried rib and skirt will remind you of venison believe it or not. This is a great way to make use of the skirt and drop rib that is throwed away by some. Hope that enjoy this simple but excellent fried pork done in the style of Dixie. As always, thanks for looking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2016
    Options

I love that flap meat!  (Never fried it, though.  Just smoked it while the spares worked.)
    I can't believe some people just discard it.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options

I love that flap meat!

I love it to. Ever watch Franklin or Mixon trim them? In the garbage it goes. In my case, it's in the deep fryer they go =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Looks most excellent!  I'll trade you my soba noodles with mushrooms for your snack any day :)
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    SGH said:

I love that flap meat!

I love it to. Ever watch Franklin or Mixon trim them? In the garbage it goes. In my case, it's in the deep fryer they go =)
    We'll try it your way.
    Usually, we put just 'em on a skewer and . . .

As you say, incredible snack.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Sardonicus
    Looks awesome brother. Usually I leave it intact and cook it on the ribs. However today I was pretty hungry and made a quick deep fried snack out of it to tide me over
    =) 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @SGH I'm guessing the list of food you haven't fried is significantly shorter than the 'have fried' list.
  • SGH
    Options
    Dawnl said:
    Looks most excellent!  I'll trade you my soba noodles with mushrooms for your snack any day :)
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm ashamed to admit that I had to google "soba" :s

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    @SGH I'm guessing the list of food you haven't fried is significantly shorter than the 'have fried' list.
    You would be correct my friend. We have deep fried almost anything that you can think off. Tomorrow I have a real deep fried treat that I'm going to share. Frog legs, fish heads and chicken feet. A true southern delicacy my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I quick sear the flap meat and trimmings. That gets frozen and then put into my "Sunday" pasta sauce/gravy. Along with any steak/chops/brisket etc. that has been put in the freeze being left over.

Next time I will try this fry snack. 5 hours for the ribs to cook requires something!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SGH
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Next time I will try this fry snack. 5 hours for the ribs to cook requires something!
    Indeed it does my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
    ^^^^^^^^+1 That looks really good. I'll be buying some FF on my next trip to the store. Great stuff as always @SGH
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @SGHdude
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • SGH
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    @SGHdude
    Pretty cool huh B)

Status- Standing by.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @SGHyou ever wok? this recipe would cater to a bunch of wok uses. 
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • SGH
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    @SGHyou ever wok? this recipe would cater to a bunch of wok uses. 
    To be perfectly honest, I have never even touched a wok. No particular reason why, just haven't my friend. I need to get me one and mess around with it. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy
    When you have that big fryer going, try this end bone and flap meat. It will suprise you my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SGH said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
    ^^^^^^^^+1 That looks really good. I'll be buying some FF on my next trip to the store. Great stuff as always @SGH

Excuse my ignorance but what is "FF"?  I trim up my ribs this way also and have quite a collection of vacuum-sealed end bits.
    Toronto ON
  • SGH
    Options
    Simcan said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is "FF"?  
    Here you go my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks, @sgh.  Off to Amazon.ca I go.
    Toronto ON
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I went to a restaurant recently where they served "pork brisket steak".  Is that what this is?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I went to a restaurant recently where they served "pork brisket steak".  Is that what this is?
    More often than not, pork brisket steak does not actually come from the "brisket" or upper/lower pectoral muscles of the hog. It is steaked out, uncured, deboned picnic shoulder/ham. Do you sometimes find actual pork brisket? Absolutely my friend. However the brisket steaks are usually just uncured picnic steaks. A marketing or sales gimmic if you will. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @SGH, very good idea to use up all the meat. I hate to throw anything away and that really looks good. We love deep frying in this house.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I love you Scotty.  This is the PERFECT comp meal. We always have trimmings laying around the night before turn in day. (I don't trim at home)  With the fryer on the trailer this is a great way to burn those trimmings up. We cook 6 racks per comp.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    I love you Scotty.  
    Brother Grim, I think that you know the love is returned in kind my friend. If you go to fry that flap/skirt meat, give me a call before you do. I left a little something to the imagination in the post. However I will gladly fill you in on the little something that I left out. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

That is how you know I have been murdered. When I lay cold and still on the ground and my deep fryer is missing.

Looks delicious, as always.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    More often than not, pork brisket steak does not actually come from the "brisket" or upper/lower pectoral muscles of the hog. It is steaked out, uncured, deboned picnic shoulder/ham. Do you sometimes find actual pork brisket? Absolutely my friend. However the brisket steaks are usually just uncured picnic steaks. A marketing or sales gimmic if you will. 

That's what I wondered.  Thanks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've been throwing those in some sauce and making "burnt ends" if you will. Now I need to try this!
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    SGH, you can't say that and not share!  What is the little something that you left out brother?

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mgillia said:
    SGH, you can't say that and not share!  What is the little something that you left out brother?
    @mgilliaThis is honestly what I left out my friend. Due to the speed which this meat will cook when deep fried, it must be tenderized or it will be tough as nails. Simply poke the crap out of it with a fork or Jaccard. I find that the fork works perfect. I didn't leave it out on purpose. But after I re-read I saw that I had failed to mention it and it was to late to edit. Just poke the heck out of it with a fork and then follow all of the above my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Awesome tip brother!!  Thanks.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL