Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juice Substance Oozing Out Bottom

Options
I posted about this before without pic and it happened again so I took a pic. Anyone ever have this?  It happens infrequently and is pretty gross (my dog loves it). I get this thick "juice" that comes out the grate and leaks on my table. How does it make it this far is my question. I am currently smoking a couple racks of beef jerkey so it isn't anything too fatty. I also did a clean burn about 3 uses ago. Any explanation?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What does it smell / taste like? Could be a good hint. Not trying to me a smart ass....though it might appear so.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    Options

I was a little apprehensive about clicking this thread - relieved to see you were talking about your egg. "Juice Substance Oozing Out Bottom" lol

Never seen that happen before, seems odd considering you just did a clean burn.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@northGAcock "What does it taste like?"  I'm laughing so hard I'm wiping tears.

You're trying to get the poor guy to lick a strange substance off his deck!? lol

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    i would blame the dog
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Not tasting it. It's almost like a fatty substance. It is 15 degrees here so it is freezing but when it isn't it cakes in the groves of the temp regulator some times. 

Is my egg broken?
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Your bottom vent door is inside out.  Do you do that just for a setting? Do you change it around so the solid gate is on the outside of the screen when you shut it down? Or is this just me seeing stuff? 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Actually, now that I look at it again, the screen is flipped 180 deg from mine as well, where the two stop handles on mine are on the left, not the right, and the solid door slides on the outside. I am sure all three of mine are the same. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Your bottom vent door is inside out.  Do you do that just for a setting? Do you change it around so the solid gate is on the outside of the screen when you shut it down? Or is this just me seeing stuff? 
    I put it on wrong after cleaning it last time apparently. I have to take it off to clean the gunk oozing out of it. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

@northGAcock "What does it taste like?"  I'm laughing so hard I'm wiping tears.

You're trying to get the poor guy to lick a strange substance off his deck!? lol

@blasting LOL.....don't see you with any better advice for identifying it. Hell I would taste it if I wanted to know bad enough. I think smell and taste would be good clues. I eat most anything else that comes off of my egg....well almost anything. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Weird.  What were your previous 2 cooks?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jwc6160
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Weird.  What were your previous 2 cooks?
    Burgers and chicken. If I had just smoked an 8lb butt or something it would make sense. I have just been doing some small cooks lately and this one is just jerkey at temps under 200. It is bizarre and I have no idea. I took everything out a couple cooks ago and here is no sign from the inside. It is almost like it just leaks out the pores at the bottom. Again, I'm not tasting it, but my dog licks the **** out of it so it must be "food". 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    A grease-like substance? Any chance your low&slow cook drip pans don't catch all the renderings?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My dog eats canadian goose poop. I guess that's "food" too. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jwc6160
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    A grease-like substance? Any chance your low&slow cook drip pans don't catch all the renderings?
    This would most likely be the case as I don't usually use a drip pan. The weird thing is that I haven't done one in a while and it doesn't happen all the time. Also, the inside is clean when I look. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Condensation. Pure & Simple. Mine does this occasionally on a very long L&S. Not quite at the rate you have pictured but, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    My dog eats canadian goose poop. I guess that's "food" too. 
    Sure, if you're canadian.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    so happy mine doesnt do that =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    It's similar to what happens in your house (if you live in the North) during the winter and you have the humidifier set too high.  The hot humid air in the egg hits the cold metal door and condenses into water.  The water runs down the door and collects in the bottom grove until it runs over.  You usually see it happening during a low and slow when the temps are below freezing.  The gunk in it is a collection of smoke and some gunk off the inner wall of the egg.

And, just like it doesn't happen everyday in your house, it doesn't happen with your egg on every cook.

Use a paper towel to sop up the moister in the groove when you shut the egg down ... then the door will not freeze up.

I think, when you last posted, you saw a picture of what my egg created last winter:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Reminds me of a lawsuit we had (back when I was Bailiff)- concerning a mausoleum...
    I can hear buffalo hooves now
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    so happy mine doesnt do that =)

That is my favorite recurring picture on this forum.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    Mine is Mickeys batch of well done wings. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What took you so long to post @fishlessman
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013