Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Football Food

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So we decided on Friday to invite some friends over to watch the playoffs Saturday. Decided to do ClayQ's pulled beef.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/clays-pulled-beef-by-clay-roberts/

Got a 6.5# chuck roast out of the freezer Friday morning and in the fridge to start thawing. It was still pretty much frozen solid Friday evening. Started a SV bath at 160*, unwrapped the chuckie and vac sealed it with Rudy's Rub.

12 hours overnight and then dropped it in an ice water bath Saturday morning. Got the egg started around 250* with oak and pecan chunks for smoke. Got the chuckie out and it seemed to have almost separated into two pieces connected by a thick piece of sinew. Removed sinew and other stuff that wasn't going to render. Added more rub and on the egg.

Draped with bacon

About 4 1/2 hours later, time for the braise

In the dutch oven

Added water and maple syrup for braising liquid and back on the egg with lid on for about 2 hours until it was almost fall apart tender. Pulled it, added the liquid back with some sauce and back on the egg.

That wasn't going to be enough food, so loaded the egg up.

My sammich topped with white onions and pickled jalapenos

If you haven't tried Clay Q's pulled beef recipe before, give it a go. I'm not sure the sous vide added anything to this cook at all, but I probably would have had to start cooking the chuckie in the middle of the night given it was frozen. 

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm curious how much smoke the meat picked up since you didn't put it on the egg until 160?

(Cue @Darby_Crenshaw coming in to say that smoke adheres to the outside of the meat so temp doesn't matter)
    NOLA
  • DMW
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I'm curious how much smoke the meat picked up since you didn't put it on the egg until 160?

(Cue @Darby_Crenshaw coming in to say that smoke adheres to the outside of the meat so temp doesn't matter)
    After the sous vide, I dropped it in an ice water bath for a couple hours to chill it before putting it on the egg. Had plenty of time in the smoke, great smoke flavor.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Nice! Interesting use of the sous vide. 
    That second to last pic gives me XL envy
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    DMW said:
    buzd504 said:

After the sous vide, I dropped it in an ice water bath for a couple hours to chill it before putting it on the egg. Had plenty of time in the smoke, great smoke flavor.
    Interesting, thanks.
    NOLA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nice setup and cook DMW.  Pulled beef looks great.

Phoenix 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Solid cook. From start to that plate. Told wife I was getting a SV and she said I have too many "projects" at all times. To which I replied, "you don't complain when you are eating the food I cook." Got a little look then a "yeah you are right". So...... After I finish kitchen remodel (doing it myself) looks like I will use the new counter addition to hold a tub. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks guys, made more football food tonight, but didn't take pictures. I ate way too much this weekend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok. Just damn. That's fantastic 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Nicely done. Yep, you give me XL envy too :)

@Chubbs - I have had many of those tense too. Now I've stopped announcing my purchases. Easier to ask for forgiveness later. Still alive and married (for now...).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Man what a fine looking spread. Simply spectacular brother D. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for posting. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow!  Awesome cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is all pure magic...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Love that recipe. Looks awesome!!! Nicely done!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Ianb1122
    Options
    Wow!  That looks awesome. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice looking grub bro. I need to buy a Dutch oven. Ive stopped using my enamel one on the egg it leaves greasy oil spots that are a pain to clean off. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Nice!  Making me hungry.   
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have made this recipe several times and it's really good. I like the idea of adding those pickled jalapenos. Great looking plate but I think you need more meat. :)

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I havent tried pulled beef yet. I must say, that sammie makes me want to try this soon. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have wanted to try a chuck on the BGE. You have made that desire more so. Great presentation the food looked delicious. Was there a target IT for the 12 hour cook?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    Options
    @YukonRon - Thanks. As far as the IT, do you mean after the 12 hour SV? If so, I didn't check, but at that time it would have been 160*, same temp as the water.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA