Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok advice please

Options
I got a wok for Christmas and seasoned it. I did my first cook (fried rice tonight). It came out pretty good but there were some problems. The advice I've read on the web said to get the egg to 500, cook chicken, remove chicken, let wok cool, cook egg, put in rice and chicken and then finish.

I followed the directions and at 500 the heat seemed to high for the chicken. It cooked in about three minutes and there was minor charging. I then let the wok cool, put in the egg and the eggs immediately burned. It still tasted ok but the heat was obviously too high.

I have a woo2 and the wok is adjusted to be in the lowest position on the coals.  I think I'm going to raise it next time but is there any advice to get the right temp on the wok?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Somewhere in this link your question is answered.  Happy Wokking!!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1898357/#Comment_1898357
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
     When your wokking on the egg you have to forget about the temps that you read in recipes. I'm no expert but I will stabilize the fire at about 450 - 550 with the spider sitting right on the fire.  When I open the dome I shut the lower vent. You'll have ample amount of oxygen coming in from the dome and by the end of a normal stir fry the flames will be shooting above the wok.   You have to work fast and cook in stages like you did.  

I would try lowering your temp a bit till you get the hang of the wok on the egg. I also think once your wok gets a good black patina on it your problems will fix themselves.  I can't tell you how many charred bits we ate until I figured out fire control and my wok got good and seasoned or got that shiny black patina.   

Pstience grasshopper.  Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    Thanks for the link and the good advice...I left the bottom grate pretty wide open during the cook so the temps probably spiked......and yes flames were going everywhere.

i was worried I was going to singe my eye brows...lol
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Let you fire stabilize for 20/30 mins before you start cooking.  Once you really get the hang of it (no disrespect intended) you can go hotter & faster.    

Anything I can offer to help all you have to do is ask.   I learned from some of the best wokkers on the egg from this forum.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    One question, where is your temp reading coming from ? If you are using your dome I suspect that your actual wok temp is actually higher. I think 500 sounds like a low temp and have done chicken fried rice at closer to 650-700 with great success. I use a infrared thermometer when woking, this way you get a accurate temp of the wok not the dome.  
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    when wokking on the egg, you are constantly moving....it's the fastest and most active cook we can do on the egg.  best thing is to make sure the ingredients are cut small enough to cook fast and small, multiple cooks are better than one big cook.  there is a logical order to adding and wokking the ingredients. 

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Tbonez3858 These folks have offered solid advice. Having a well seasoned wok makes a big difference - and takes some time to achieve. It takes a while to learn also, but not every second of a stir fry requires sun searing heat. With experience you will learn when to pull the wok for a few seconds to moderate the heat and when to go full throttle. Eggs are an example of an item that I believe just needs moderate heat. I also like to season oil with garlic and ginger using moderate heat. When I have meat or veggies in the wok massive heat is what's needed. Keep cooking and it will get easier. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon