Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather BGE-ing

What's the coldest weather you've used your BGE in? I am in Chicago and it's gonna be cold this weekend. Thx
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think the coldest I used mine in last year was -1*F. Others here, especially the Canadian eggers, cook in much colder than that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I think it got into the 40s one evening.
    NOLA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Def in the negatives. The high in Peoria tomorrow is suppose to be 4 and I'm doing a turkey breast. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Best I ever got to cook in was 0 degrees and, it snowed a little during the cook. Eggie didn't know the difference.
  • Smoked a brisket last year for 14 hours at -15. It was windy so with the windchill it was around -40. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I cook on mine way more in the winter. Normally winter Here it frequently gets in the single digits with wind chills below zero. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• My thermopen doesn't register wind chill but lowest it has registered is minus-5.
    Stillwater, MN
  • We cooked on the egg in Fargo 3 yrs ago at -37* f .... When we checked into the hotel they gave me an extension cord to plug the truck in ....lol
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Cook away and enjoy. Thats why theres a warranty. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The coldest I've cooked was around -22F (-30C)

Coldest for me was 13º a couple weekends ago.  I couldn't keep the fire going at 225, but raised it to 250 and it stayed lit fine after that.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    I've made pizza's at -15.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • @buzd504 with the cruel taunting
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Well sadly tonight I had -10 on the thermometer and -30 windchill... Ice fish all day and Burgers on the Egg in the evening.  Nothing stops me from making a good burger for my boys.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Seriously I don't know how yall do it.  I know the eggs fine, but how do you step outside in those temps?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    We hit minus 35 Celsius last winter and I as egging. It was fine. My egg was new to me so, I usually only do low and slow in anything below -15 arbitrary but meh.
    HFX NS
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    mgd_egg said:

RRP said:

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    mgd_egg said:
    So...frozen pizzas then. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited January 2016
    So am doing a pork butt and started this am.  Even in the artic tundra of Chicago, having trouble keeping BGE at 250, it wants to go hotter. Had to re-arrange the coals once which is unusual.  Using new temp and meat gizmo and it's great once u figure it out and now have to learn difference between dome and grill temps.      Oh well. Happy que.  

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've got three racks of BB ribs on right now (-4 this morning, ~2 now). Rubbed with Blues Hog and then on at 250 for three hours. After that I'm thinking of saucing and wrapping them in peach paper for 45 minutes or so, then back on unwrapped with another coat of sauce for another hour or so until done.

Anyone else have experience subbing foil for peach paper for BBs? I assume it should work similar to brisket...

Cheers all, stay thawed...
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Black_Badger that sounds like a really sticky mess!  I'm too lazy to wrap ribs so please let us know if you do it how it works 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    -40 C (or F), with out wind, no issues with the egg. Was -32 C with wind last night for some thick chops. Tonight is a pork loin, -31 C right now with wind. Does not effect the eggs in my opinion. Although wind chill wouldn't effect it anyways. But still, no issues at lower temps on any cook. Just about to head out to the hot tub with a beer or two before starting dinner. Now beer, that is effected by the cold. Have to drink them quick. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Not too cold here in Oostburg today, its a nice 4 degrees F right now and I'm about to fire up the BGE to finish off some ribs that have been in the Sous Vide cooker since yesterday.  Nothing close to AlbertaEgger's -40.
  • SW Chicago Burbs here.
    just did a pork shoulder today.
    XL Big Green Egg
    Weber Summit S-470
    Smoke Hollow Vertical Cabinet (Propane)

(Joliet, IL)
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited January 2016
    Yup! Cooked some steaks last winter at -35*C without counting windchill. 

I read a lot of you guys talking about windchill, cars, eggs, and anything not living doesn't feel windchill. No point in counting it and worrying about the egg being out at -45*C with windchill you are the one freezing your buns off at that temperature the egg doesn't feel it.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Pork shoulder here today. Nice and warm 27 degrees.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    1move said:
    Yup! Cooked some steaks last winter at -35*C without counting windchill. 

I read a lot of you guys talking about windchill, cars, eggs, and anything not living doesn't feel windchill. No point in counting it and worrying about the egg being out at -45*C with windchill you are the one freezing your buns off at that temperature the egg doesn't feel it.
    Sure, the egg does not "feel" windchill, however, wind will impact it's fuel burn rate. Kamados fare better on cold windy days than most other grills but it is still impacted by that to a degree (heh-heh).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited January 2016

Actually, yes they do; moving air will cool a car, or an Egg, faster than still air.  Once the inanimate object hits ambient temperature, however, it won't go any colder than that.  

I had an argument about that with a USAF Colonel up at Grand Forks.  He said windchill does not affect the trucks, and I informed him yes, if you turn the engine off, the block will cool down quicker in the wind than in still air.  He won the argument (he was an 0-6 and I wasn't) but I was correct.  (we'd leave the diesels running when we were down in the missile silos anyway)   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure