Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough recipe?

Options
guys anyone willing to share their favorite recipes?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Robessa
    Options
    In case you don't want to scroll through that forum....my favorite is Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe.  The crust is chewy and soft and flavorful on the grill or in the oven.  It's also foolproof and easy as pie (pun intended)

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/no-knead-pizza-dough
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

autolyse autolyse autolyse autolyse

this has been by far the biggest jump in quality and flavor of my home made dough.  Jeff Varasano's writeup is awesome.    Practice

Oh, did I mention autolyse?  Just in case I didn't, AUTOLYSE

• mgoblue0484
    Options

King Arthur Flour website has a bunch. I've tried a couple, they are solid.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-and-flatbread

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    The www.fornobravo.com site, 00Flour Recipe: 

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

autolyse autolyse autolyse autolyse

this has been by far the biggest jump in quality and flavor of my home made dough.  Jeff Varasano's writeup is awesome.    Practice

Oh, did I mention autolyse?  Just in case I didn't, AUTOLYSE

I agree with that.

Also, you need to follow the temperature recommendation for the recipe that you will be using.

For a high temp dough made with 00 flour, I highly recommend this one: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141565/finally-the-pizza-dough-recipe-i-was-looking-for

Options
    I'm pretty happy with my recipe that I've been using/changing over the past several years.  Currently, it's

2 C flour (I use either KA all purpose or bread or a mix of the two)
    1/2 C KA white whole wheat flour
    1 C warm water
    1 tsp kosher salt
    2.5 tsp active dry yeast (we do enough "bread" making, that we buy it by the jar...this is 1 packet-worth)
    3 Tbsp olive oil

Mix the flour in a bowl (I do all the mixing by hand with a dinner fork).  Remove about 1 C of the mix and set aside.  Add the warm water to the bowl, mix, and then cover at least 20min.  Add yeast, salt, previously removed flour, and oil, mix until mostly uniform.  Knead by hand for about 3 minutes until uniform and soft but not sticky.  Additional flour will likely be needed during the kneading process.  I generally put about 1/3 of a cup in the 1/2 cup measure I'd used to measure the whole wheat flour, but usually use only about half of that.  Oil the bowl, either with olive oil or cooking spray (Pam), return the dough ball to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Ideally, all of the above should be done ~24h in advance, and the bowl put in the fridge to ferment.  If you don't plan that far in advance, do all the above about 2-3 hours in advance and leave the bowl on the counter to rise.

After 60-90min on the counter or the next morning if using the fridge, fold the dough back into a ball, recover, and either return to the fridge or counter for the second rise.  If doing this in the fridge, you'll want to remove the bowl from the fridge a few hours before you want to make pizza to let the dough come back up to room temp.  When you're ready to make pizza, fold the dough back into a ball, let rest 10min, then press/hand stretch into a 15-16" crust.  When the crust is more or less formed, transfer to parchment on a flat baking sheet (which I use sort of as a peel).  Use a clean fork to poke the crust all over...you don't want it rising into a pita.  I pre-bake 2min at 425F on a preheated stone (slide the parchment off the baking sheet, onto the stone).  Slide the crust/parchment back onto the flat baking sheet to remove from the oven.  Then add sauce, cheese, toppings, and bake another 14min at 425F on the stone.

For the "flat baking sheet", an airbake sheet works well (the type with a raised edge on just one side)...its multi-layer construction keeps the sheet rigid.  A plane flat baking sheet will tend to get "floppy", and you might have an "accident" going into/out of the oven.

When done, cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes before slicing.  This works in either the egg or the oven...I generally use the oven, but have done it in the egg.

Really, the hardest (really the only hard) part about making pizza from scratch is learning how to handle the dough and make a reasonably uniform (and round) crust.  I do a mix of hand pressing and stretching in the air using a mix of hand and gravity stretching.  For the pressing parts, you will need to lightly flour the work surface (I do it on the granite counter top) to keep it from sticking.