Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Cheese - A-Maze N Smoker

Options
Greetings all.  First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! 

Has anyone ever tried the A-Maze N Smoker in their eggs and how do they like it?

Thank you.

Q
Thank you.

Q
________________________________________________________________________________
Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

Comments

• ktpbighead
    Options
    I used mine about 2 weeks ago. Planned on eating some this weekend.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    The work great and love mine. The key is getting it started outside of the egg so you have a good coal base. Then make sure all vents are completely open for maximum air flow and have fun.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    welcome @KermitTheEgg

Funny you would ask, there were at least 5 cold smoke threads that popped up in the last 7-10 days.   I suppose it's that season.

I have the tray, not the tube.  I was very happy with the performance, and had no trouble with lighting or keeping lit as some of the amazon reviews stated.  

I it lit from both ends, and both sides got used up in a 4 hour cold smoke session - middle was untouched.

Phoenix 
  • KermitTheEgg
    Options
    Thank you guys for the comments. I believe I am going to have to buy one now, let me ask you this, do you empty all of your charcoal out and then put this in the bottom, or do you place this in a cast iron skillet or something on top of the coals so you don't have to empty them every time.
    Thank you.

Q
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

• blasting
    Options
    I laid a strip of metal across the top of firebox - just so the tray had a flat area.  Left the charcoal - saw no point in taking it out.

It was so ridiculously easy & cheap, I would say this should be one of those "automatic" accessories.  Have fun - let us know how you make out.
    Phoenix 
  • ccoffey
    ccoffey Posts: 21
    Options
    I am an egg newbie and this sounds interesting. What is this a maze n smoker and how does it work? How do you use it with the egg?
    Wesley Chapel, FL - LBGE
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ccoffey
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker did a great tutorial a couple years ago.  Should answer a lot of your questions.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158809/a-maze-n-smoker-tutorial/p1

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Use mine all the time. Check out thread above and if anyone has questions I am happy to help. I am by no means an expert but have used mine probably 20 times or so. Mainly bacon cheese nuts etc
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I've used the amaze-n smoker in both the LBGE and the SBGE for smoking cheese. It helps to have only a low volume of lump in the egg at the time of smoking. I move the lump to one side exposing a couple of the fire box holes to allow full air flow through the egg. Light the pellets (I use apple or cherry) with a mapp torch or propane torch until they are flaming and let them burn for ten minutes. Blow out the flame and put the smoker in the bottom of the egg. I then place the plate setter legs up in the egg to diffuse the smoke evenly throughout the egg. Put your cleaned grill in place and your cheese directly on the grid. I found that 1 hour is plenty to give your cheese a pleasant smoky flavor. I found that 2 hours in the smoke made the cheese a little acrid even after letting it mellow in the foodsaver vac bags for a couple of months. Start with an hour and if you find that it is not enough, increase your times in 15 minute increments until you get it to where you want as opposed to cheese that nobody really enjoys. BTW, I have been able to smoke cheese this way no matter what time of the year it is. The smoker produces very little heat. Obviously you can't do it if the outside temp is above 90* F. Your cheese will start to melt.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    I used mine to make all sorts of smoked cheeses for Christmas gifts - typically I just take my kickash basket out and set the pellet tray down in the fire box - but I have done it by just putting a small grid grate over the lump and the pellet tray on top of that as well. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Givengold3
    Options
    We just finished the last of the cheddar and Gouda that I smoked last year. Can't wait to do it again very soon. 
    Do give it a couple of weeks to mellow. 
    Concord, CA
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I just use it in my old gasser,  works great. 
    Edina, MN

• blasting
    Options

I'm fairly new to the amazing smoker.  I really liked the gouda and pepper jack that I've done.  The cheddar... not so much.  

I used Tillamook Sharp, does it work better with mild?
    Phoenix 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Smoked some cheese this weekend as well. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I have the A-Maze-N 6" smoker tube. Packed full it gaves me approximately 2.5 hrs of smoke. I remove the lump from my fire box and most of the ash to allow max air flow. Then I place the tube flat on the CI grate in the bottom of the fire box. Best as I can tell, its never flared up after the initial flame has been blown out but I always use the plate setter as a barrier just in case. The tube produces great smoke for its size and I'm very pleased with its performance. 

• Chubbs
    Options
    blasting said:

I really liked the gouda and pepper jack that I've done.  The cheddar... not so much
    Just too smokey or didn't like the smoke and cheddar combo? How long you let it chill in fridge before slicing?
  • blasting
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    blasting said:

I really liked the gouda and pepper jack that I've done.  The cheddar... not so much
    Just too smokey or didn't like the smoke and cheddar combo? How long you let it chill in fridge before slicing?

I didn't care for the combination.  It was heavily smoked, but tasted great on gouda and pepper jack.  Last package of cheddar sat for 6 weeks.
    Phoenix 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    blasting said:
    Chubbs said:
    blasting said:

I didn't care for the combination.  It was heavily smoked, but tasted great on gouda and pepper jack.  Last package of cheddar sat for 6 weeks.
    Hope mine comes out ok. Was on for 5 hours with Apple smoke before I was able to get home and take it off
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @blasting and @Chris133 I usually go an hour, but light at both end of the AMS. Is that equal to 2 hours on one end? Who knows, but I find that is plenty of smoke on mine. 5 hours would be really smokey I bet. Let me know how it turns out
  • blasting
    Options

@Chubbs   I lit both ends and smoked for 4 hours.  Probably too much.  The white cheese (gouda & pepperjack) was very smokey.  I liked it, but probably too much for most.  The cheddar didn't have a pleasing taste.

I'll cut the time way back next time and see how it goes.  I already picked up the cheese, and will be doing another batch in the next few days.

Phoenix 
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I use Apple wood pellets and the smoke seems to become more acrid after 2 hrs (my opinion). What wood are you all using? I was thinking I'd try something on the light side, oak? On my next cheese run. 
  • blasting
    Options
    I use Apple wood pellets and the smoke seems to become more acrid after 2 hrs (my opinion). What wood are you all using? I was thinking I'd try something on the light side, oak? On my next cheese run. 
    I used hickory last time, but picked up some apple for this weekend's cold smoke.  I think a bunch of cheese on Saturday morning.  
    Phoenix