Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Got my Sous Vide delivered. What should be my first cook??

Options
I was thinking short ribs, but I would love some ideas from you sous vide experts out there.
Denver, CO

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Chicken breasts. 2 hours at 145. followed by a little sear. I woudn't bite of short ribs just yet. Get your grove first. Pork Chops, asparagus. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Steak
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Chicken breasts. 2 hours at 145. followed by a little sear. I woudn't bite of short ribs just yet. Get your grove first. Pork Chops, asparagus. 
    This, but at 138.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    @Raymont did it take you a while to figure out your process? The whole thing seems way more simple than cooking on the egg. Any advice for finding my groove?
    Denver, CO
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mine was the 72 hour beef short ribs, from the recipe by Chef Thos. Keller. Followed by less than 30 sec per side in a searing Egg.

Really. A revelation.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I was thinking short ribs, but I would love some ideas from you sous vide experts out there.
    I'm going to suggest chicken breasts, they just come out so great sous vide and it doesn't take very long. 

Personally I wasn't impressed with the texture of the pork chops I've done. I really need to do another roast beef though, it came out great but I did let it chill overnight in the fridge before using the electric slicer to get it paper thin for sandwiches. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ima Puss.  I just got one too, and I boiled eggs.  Don't go weak like me!  My MIL still tells me I have a $100 egg timer.  

Secondly, I did soup.. And it was great. Then chicken, it was great.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We cooked a pork tenderloin that came out ridiculously tender.  Used the Anova recipe from their app,

Chicken is next on the list or a nice steak of I can find a good butcher.

Garnerville, NY
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    ^^ this
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CHANKEN BREAST !!  sear after & make a classic chicken sammich w/ the fixings.  Game Changa.  Also . . . some farmer market carrots (whole ones that you have to remove greens from before cooking) w/ honey/butter/thyme/s&p . . another Game Changa.  Have Fun!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Angela
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say link sausage sous vide is great, they stay so moist. 
  • Raymont
    Options
    A Filet (tenderloin steak) is also very, very good SV. I think Ribeyes' come out better on the egg, but filet's SV are tough to beat SV. 130-135 degrees for 2 hours followed by cast iron sear. (Medium Rare). A trick: let the meat rest for 5 min or so once you take out of SV and before you sear. This will eliminate any tendency to overshoot IT.

A few online references for you:
    http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-forums

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/get-started-with-sous-vide-your-first-week-s-menu

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/category/featured-sous-vide-recipes/

http://www.sousviderecipes.net/beef

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I saw the movie Burnt with Bradley Cooper this fall.  They showed this style of cooking in the movie in a negative light.  Cooper's character, a French trained chef, saw this as cheating and not "art".   They also gave the impression that this was a fast way to cook without microwaves.  After reading about this on the net, I am intrigued. 
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A fast way to cook? LOL! I'm a SV novice too, but I recently SV'd a not-all-that-well-marbled ribeye for 3 hrs at 130°. Very tender and perfectly cooked edge to edge. Seared in a HOT carbon steel pan on the stovetop. Saw no point in bothering with the egg for a minute or two sear.

An hour or so SV is "all" you need to cook a steak, but more time means more tenderness. Though I understand texture can suffer if you SV a steak for too long, I thought this one turned out quite well.

I read somewhere that a cheap cut like a chuck roast would seem like prime rib if cooked for a couple of days. So, 130°, 48 hrs later, it was actually pretty good, but was not prime rib. And it was not fast!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Another vote for chicken breast first. Its life changing. Then maybe lamb chops, followed by steak. I would try a long SV cook like short ribs after you have a few cooks under your belt. Eggs are an ongoing experiment, and I've never been unsatisfied with the results :)

Firing up the egg for a few seconds of sear is pointless, IMO. CI or a weedburner are much more efficient.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Raymont said:
    This, but at 138.  
    Naaah...142°F
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2016
    Options
    do I season before or after the water bath for the chix breast? I have my SV set to 145 for 1.5 hrs or so. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options
    or do i season after the sear? 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • HeavyG
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    do I season before or after the water bath for the chix breast? I have my SV set to 145 for 1.5 hrs or so. 
    Generally I season them then vacuum seal them. However, if I'm just cooking a couple breasts to cube for salads or mixed in a sauce I don't bother to season them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATABITES
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Im going to season first. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Scallops come out insanely good, as do glassed carrots!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Angela
    Options
    I don't season first usually, you have to be really careful because the food absorbs the seasoning much more than in traditional cooking. 
  • GATABITES
    Options
    Angela said:
    I don't season first usually, you have to be really careful because the food absorbs the seasoning much more than in traditional cooking. 
    I seasoned with S&P. I hope it turns out good. I have only made eggs and warmed up leftover brisket flat (which turned out excellent). Im a noob. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Raymont
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GATABITES said:
    Generally I season them then vacuum seal them. However, if I'm just cooking a couple breasts to cube for salads or mixed in a sauce I don't bother to season them.
    +1. SWMBO has me SV and cube up chicken breasts at least 1x per week and put in fridge. No seasoning. Then depending on the salad,etc (asian/bbq/indian curry, mexican). I take them out of fridge, season and reheat and serve.

+1 on lamb chops. I did a rack a few weeks ago and it was absolutely outstanding. I don't think there is a wrong answer to seasoning before or after SV. If season before, just go a little lite to experiment.

I am a big fan of Brisket flats SV. (heresy I know). I smoke low and slow for 6 hours or so (IT 165) and then bag and SV for 12-18 hours at ~155. My local Costco only sells flats, and let's face it, they are brutally difficult to get right only cooking on the egg. I find that supplementing with SV really makes a good product.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Salmonegg
    Options
    The biggest difference between the results I got before/after my SV rig has been lamb.  Lamb chops in particular.  This recipe has worked several times:
    http://www.sousvidelife.com/sous-vide-lamb-chops-with-recipe

This was great, too:
    http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/lamb-with-button-mushrooms-sweet-potato-mash-and-red-wine-jus
    I'd double the mushrooms on this one next time, build the sauce in the same pan used to sear the chops, and maybe throw some thyme in the bag along with the rosemary.

• robnybbq
    Options
    got a question - say we were making lamb chops or other - do you place each chop in its own bag?  I would think so as if the meats were touching it would be like a thicker piece and take longer.

Garnerville, NY
  • HeavyG
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    got a question - say we were making lamb chops or other - do you place each chop in its own bag?  I would think so as if the meats were touching it would be like a thicker piece and take longer.
    I wouldn't bother bagging each chop individually unless the bags you have are just big enough to easily hold a single chop.

The thicker the meat the longer the time so it really depends upon your timeline. Do you want them to cook in the bath for just an hour or can you wait for three or four hours or more?

Here's a chart I often refer to:

• robnybbq
    Options
    I got to go find a good steak now.

Garnerville, NY
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    You may want to experiment with searing before and after the SV bath.  Searing before starts the Mallard effect(sp?) to begin building flavors.  Searing after SV crisps the bark and heats everything up prior to serving.  Just a thought.
    Atlanta, GA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i did 1" chops the other night.  best chops ive ever made.  about 2.5 hours at 140 then a quick sear in olive oil and butter