Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grillworks - Beware

Options
I would like to tell everyone on here about Ceramic Grillworks from Pittsburgh PA (@CGW1 on this forum). Many of us on this forum have heard of CGW and their 2-tier swing rack grill grate system. But I would like to forewarn anyone from trusting CGW and it's owner Franco. He has my money and has stopped responding to any and all communication.

Some background:
A year ago, I purchased a 2-tier swing rack system for my Large BGE. The transaction went smoothly and I have been very happy with the product. As you can see on my social media posts (@markdewes on Instagram and Twitter), I do love the functionality a 2-tier rack brings to my BGE.

For Christmas this year, I decided to purchase another 2-tier as a present for my dad. He also has a BGE and has talked about my 2-tier all year so I know he'd be excited about it. I purchased one online on CGWs website; no problem. Christmas Day, my dad opens his present... It's the wrong size!

My current issue:
I accidently purchased a Medium 2-tier instead of the Large. The next day, I email Franco and he says to ship it back and we'll get it exchanged with a Large. On Dec 28th, I return the Medium and email Franco providing him with the tracking number. Two days later, I get a response from him:

"Hi Mark,

I'm traveling home from Christmas. I contact you tomorrow once I get in. "

That's the last I heard from him. Six (6) emails and at least 10 phone calls have been left without response. I do not have a present for my dad, CGW has my $170 and I am left without resolution. I, seriously, don't know what else to do at this point. But I wanted to warn everyone who wants to own the 2-tier swing rack system. It might work out for you, but you might also get shafted!

- Mark
@egger485

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Customer service issues with Ceramic Grill Works is old news around here. Spend your money with the quality folks at Ceramic Grill Store. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    This oughta be lots of fun, especially on a friday. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :pensive: Deja Vu!  I could be wrong but, this sounds awfully familiar from a past poster that had an almost identical experience. Or maybe not. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That was my first thought, but was thinking the other guys top tier warped. The posts sounds eerily familiar. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    That was my first thought, but was thinking the other guys top tier warped. The posts sounds eerily familiar. 
    Yup!  That's what it was...a warping issue during high heat searing. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    My experience with him over the phone left me with this impression - he is a nasty man to deal with.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Bring on the popcorn..... HERE WE GO! ;)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Apparently none of this impacts Franco.  Seems like someone is always getting a raw deal from his company.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac.   ....lol you said raw

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The best was when one guy was told by Franco that he couldn't fill his warranty right away because he was out of large rigs but someone on the forum posted their new large rig had just been delivered. I would never order anything from them. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I own a family owned and operated auto parts store here in the San Fernando Valley, customer service is priority in our business.

When I get done with a customer, i want him feeling like family, I want him walking away feeling like he's my only customer - in return, he tells his friends and family what a great shop we are, which equals sales.

I (and by the sound of others here) didn't experience that in HIS shop.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yep I remember that @Lit  
    Pretty much a slap in the face. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a few people ordered this and got it literally.

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/product/shaft-kit/

Options

https://instantostrich.com/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

:lol: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I ordered from the Ceramic Grill Store after reading of all the problems with ceramic grillworks. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Apparently none of this impacts Franco.  Seems like someone is always getting a raw deal from his company.
    Sounds to me like that old guys wife might be putting starch in his undies.
     :s 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I don't understand why Tom doesnt just get rid of that franco guy. 

Little Rock, AR

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    egger485 said:
    I would like to tell everyone on here about Ceramic Grillworks from Pittsburgh PA (@CGW1 on this forum). Many of us on this forum have heard of CGW and their 2-tier swing rack grill grate system. But I would like to forewarn anyone from trusting CGW and it's owner Franco. He has my money and has stopped responding to any and all communication.

Some background:
    A year ago, I purchased a 2-tier swing rack system for my Large BGE. The transaction went smoothly and I have been very happy with the product. As you can see on my social media posts (@markdewes on Instagram and Twitter), I do love the functionality a 2-tier rack brings to my BGE.

For Christmas this year, I decided to purchase another 2-tier as a present for my dad. He also has a BGE and has talked about my 2-tier all year so I know he'd be excited about it. I purchased one online on CGWs website; no problem. Christmas Day, my dad opens his present... It's the wrong size!

My current issue:
    I accidently purchased a Medium 2-tier instead of the Large. The next day, I email Franco and he says to ship it back and we'll get it exchanged with a Large. On Dec 28th, I return the Medium and email Franco providing him with the tracking number. Two days later, I get a response from him:

"Hi Mark,

I'm traveling home from Christmas. I contact you tomorrow once I get in. "

That's the last I heard from him. Six (6) emails and at least 10 phone calls have been left without response. I do not have a present for my dad, CGW has my $170 and I am left without resolution. I, seriously, don't know what else to do at this point. But I wanted to warn everyone who wants to own the 2-tier swing rack system. It might work out for you, but you might also get shafted!

- Mark
    @egger485
    This sounds like a similar situation I had with Franco a year or so ago. I had a warped grate and went through the same exact experience. Said he was putting it in the mail that day then didn't hear from him. Then he avoided my calls....I ended up calling him with a blocked number and was able to get him on the phone a few times. 
    He did finally send me a new grate system several months into the experience so I guess he kept his word but good grief it was a hassle shaking him down. 
    I'd suggest trying the old *82 trick before you dial his number. That will block your number (works on mobile too). 
    I will add that I love the 2 tier swing out rack, and my new one is working great with no warping. 
    Good Luck!!
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

If all else fails, BBB gets results.

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Pretty similar experience here as well.  I loved my swing rack for my XL.  However the bottom grate warped badly.  So bad - I can no longer use it. I emailed Franco and he acknowledged some warping problems with the bottom grate on his XL swing racks.  He said that once he got all of the issues ironed out, he would be in touch with me to get me a replacement.  I sent several emails asking about a time frame on resolving the warping issues for the XL and was always told "we are still working on it.  Once we have it figured out I will be in touch".  I saw quite awhile ago they were again selling the XL swing racks on the website.  I assume they resolved the warping issues but I have never heard back from Franco.  I finally just gave up and bought an AR from Ceramic Grill Store.  Money well spent!      
    XL BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Pretty similar experience here as well.  I loved my swing rack for my XL.  However the bottom grate warped badly.  So bad - I can no longer use it. I emailed Franco and he acknowledged some warping problems with the bottom grate on his XL swing racks.  He said that once he got all of the issues ironed out, he would be in touch with me to get me a replacement.  I sent several emails asking about a time frame on resolving the warping issues for the XL and was always told "we are still working on it.  Once we have it figured out I will be in touch".  I saw quite awhile ago they were again selling the XL swing racks on the website.  I assume they resolved the warping issues but I have never heard back from Franco.  I finally just gave up and bought an AR from Ceramic Grill Store.  Money well spent!      
    I would call BBB if I had all of these problem you guys have had with his product. I looked long and hard at it and am damn sure glad I didn't go down that road. Been more than pleased with my AR
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I would contact your credit card company & dispute the charge. Explain the situation to them, and they should refund the charge. That will get his attention real quick, and if this happens enough, they will revoke his ability to accept credit cards. I also agree with @stompbox on contact BBB. Also try seeing if he has any Google reviews & give him a negative review. 
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beware:

Options
    Beware:

I always knew there was something shady about Franco

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah just send it back and I'll send you a new one

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.