Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A kickstarter thermometer thingy for eggheads... ?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
So, I think the success rate on kickstarter projects is probably 40% to get a delivery and maybe only 15% that it actually works as advertised.   But this one seems pretty far along...once you get through all the marketing BS in this link, it seems like a cool product.

Basically, for $60 you get a single wireless temp probe that has two sensors on it.  The tip is inserted in the meat, and the part that sticks out gives you the ambient temp of the grill.  It connects to your phone via bluetooth.  If this thing actually works...I'm getting rid of all those stupid gnarled up maverick probes.

Optionally, for $170, you get 4 probes and a wifi repeater that sends those bluetooth things to your home network and anywhere you desire.  
If it works...
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

I'm not ready to throw away $60 on this yet, let alone $170.   But, if it actually works the price point is very reasonable if you compare what we pay for other wired wireless probes.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's been sitting on kickstarter for a long time. People keep on sending money to them. I think I need to start something like this to collect money and basically sell nothing but an idea and a promise that doesn't have to be kept. Look at how much money they've received.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    A buddy of mine bought into this.  He bought the probes and then they had a push out for new batteries so they through in the wifi-block.  I'm going to wait and see how his work first before I buy in.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have no use for bluetooth when egging.
    NOLA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I am a backer of "The Meater". I gave money in October. At that time they advertised January delivery. They have experienced product design and production delays and have not provided a new expected ship date. This is my first Kickstarter pledge, but so far I'm torn between feeling taken advantage of or excited about getting an innovative new product. My advice- hold off.. I will provide updates if and when I ever get it.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I jumped in. If it works, it'll be great with my new large trailer offset.  And I love doing group funding. I know I'll never get my stuff on the expected delivery date, but it's fun being a part of the start of something.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This is a great idea, but I would bet against it.  Living in AZ, I'm keenly aware of how the heat kills batteries.  It's ridiculous.

If this worked, the guy would be a bazillionaire because he would have revolutionized the battery industry.  Imho, there is no chance that probe is going to work long term.

Hope I'm wrong, this would be terrific if I am.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

This is a great idea, but I would bet against it.  Living in AZ, I'm keenly aware of how the heat kills batteries.  It's ridiculous.

If this worked, the guy would be a bazillionaire because he would have revolutionized the battery industry.  Imho, there is no chance that probe is going to work long term.

To be fair... None of my wired probes have worked "long term" either. I got 4 probes for 169 plus shipping... so only $42.25 each

New probes with long enough cables (10ft) for my smoker for a guru are $31 plus shipping
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

To be fair... None of my wired probes have worked "long term" either.

They are delicate, but that's a whole different issue that trying to get a battery to last in 250 degree temps.

I don't know if it does any good, but I hang my probes up without coiling them and have had pretty good luck.  

If Thermoworks would hurry up and put out a wifi version of the ThermaQ I'd be pretty thrilled.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The tips of mine seem to break about every 6 months on my guru probes. But I'm pretty abusive. I'll give a review of this when I get it.  If it starts out with a battery life of 48 hours... as long as it can still make it 12 after a year I'll be happy with the purchase.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Raymont said:
    I am a backer of "The Meater". I gave money in October. At that time they advertised January delivery. They have experienced product design and production delays and have not provided a new expected ship date. This is my first Kickstarter pledge, but so far I'm torn between feeling taken advantage of or excited about getting an innovative new product. My advice- hold off.. I will provide updates if and when I ever get it.
    I've participated in a couple dozen Kickstarter/Indiegogo over the past couple years.

Most of them did not meet their original timeline. One of them (the first gen Nomiku sous vide) went more than a year over schedule. None of them failed to eventually deliver.

Some folks have backed projects that failed spectacularly but those are rare.

Just keep in mind that this experience is not like just ordering off the shelf so you have to keep chill about the whole process/experience.

I decide not to back this project because they weren't really offering a huge discount over their intended retail price once the project hits the street and I already had lots of temp reading devices.

I do look forward to reports from folks when they do get them as it does seem like a potentially cool idea.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    In case you wondered what their progress was, at last report (before the holidays sometime), they were at 80% on their engineering samples. I think you have a little while to wait before user reviews come out.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    In case you wondered what their progress was, at last report (before the holidays sometime), they were at 80% on their engineering samples. I think you have a little while to wait before user reviews come out.

Wow!  Thanks for sharing that.   Yeah, they have quite a way to go.

I am always amazed and impressed with the production quality of the support material for kickstarter campaigns.  (videos, photos, write-up)  It is some serious ad-copy and it's no way a couple guys in their garage could spend the time to produce something so glossy.  Not just this campaign, most of the ones I see.

It cracks me up.  Last year I was watching the drone kickstarter ideas with some interest and every couple weeks a new drone concept would come out that was easy to use, waterproof and you could just throw up in the air and it would follow you.  All with incredible videos.  None of them have come to fruition.  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    blasting said:

Yeah, you nailed my skepticism right there.

Those things will have circuitry, batteries and transmitters...and will operate in an oven exclusively?  No way.   I'm sure the first deliverables will work initially, but, they are going to have a short life or will come with some surprise use suggestions that will void the warranty if ignored (like only working in closed ovens at low temperatures, or just for open grills, or have to be swapped out after 4 hours of use...something prohibitively stupid.)

Don't get me wrong, the innovation is great.  It would even be cool if they made the dual sensor probes and brought a wire out to a tiny waterproof box that had the battery/electronics outside the grill.  That'd be an improvement over mavericks if they could hit the price point they have now.

Maverick's are a POS.  They are the best option we have for the price, but it's crap.  Awful interface and poor quality.  I've been waiting for anyone to make a decent product with similar functionality but with better interface and quality.  So, maybe the Meatso will inspire others and lead to better products.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HeavyG
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Toxarch said:

Wow!  Thanks for sharing that.   Yeah, they have quite a way to go.

I am always amazed and impressed with the production quality of the support material for kickstarter campaigns.  (videos, photos, write-up)  It is some serious ad-copy and it's no way a couple guys in their garage could spend the time to produce something so glossy.  Not just this campaign, most of the ones I see.

It cracks me up.  Last year I was watching the drone kickstarter ideas with some interest and every couple weeks a new drone concept would come out that was easy to use, waterproof and you could just throw up in the air and it would follow you.  All with incredible videos.  None of them have come to fruition.  :lol: 
    The Hexo+ have been shipping for a few weeks so there one of them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    KiterTodd said:

... Last year I was watching the drone kickstarter ideas with some interest and every couple weeks a new drone concept would come out that was easy to use, waterproof and you could just throw up in the air and it would follow you.  All with incredible videos.  None of them have come to fruition.  :lol: 
    That's cool.  I had missed that one and will be curious to read the reviews of delivered units.   I've learned to be skeptical of all the marketing claims no matter how polished the website is.  :wink: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HeavyG
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    HeavyG said:
    KiterTodd said:

... Last year I was watching the drone kickstarter ideas with some interest and every couple weeks a new drone concept would come out that was easy to use, waterproof and you could just throw up in the air and it would follow you.  All with incredible videos.  None of them have come to fruition.  :lol: 
    That's cool.  I had missed that one and will be curious to read the reviews of delivered units.   I've learned to be skeptical of all the marketing claims no matter how polished the website is.  :wink: 
    Confucius say - a prudent person should be skeptical of marketing claims for any product sold anywhere not just via Kickstarter.

• georgia boy
    Options
    I'm very interested in hearing reviews once this thing (if ever) gets shipped!
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq

• Mclayborn79
    Options
    I am an original backer. The completion date just keeps getting pushed back. I hope they actually finish. They don't really post any concrete progress pics or videos. I believe their update are coming from a different company because they never address backer concerns. 
  • KiterTodd
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am an original backer. The completion date just keeps getting pushed back. I hope they actually finish. They don't really post any concrete progress pics or videos. I believe their update are coming from a different company because they never address backer concerns. 
    Wow...this post was from January.  That's not a good sign...

Know how many of those "backpack throw up in the air follow-me drones" I've seen reach production after all their glitzy marketing videos? 
    Zero.
    :confused:

LBGE/Maryland