Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on instant read thermometers

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Bought 2 Thermopens for my sons for Christmas.  They have already made cooking much more reliable and enjoyable!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Paying $10 (or catching them on sale) only hurts once. TP are a reliable tool to own. Own 2 myself and use at least one of those daily. 
    @NPHuskerFL what if you take more than one poop a day... Do you still only use TP once daily? Lol couldn't help myself
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Typo on the "$10". I edited that. But, seriously they're worth the money. See recent threads in regards to Thermoworks excellent cs besides building quality products. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Thermopops are on sale right now for $21, an amazing deal!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • slovelad
    Options
    @ibanda really? On their website?
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I started out with a Man Law thermometer.  it's not bad but I caught the new Thermo pen on sale in December and love it.   Definitely worth in cost particularly if you can catch it on sale.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    As everyone above says, Thermapens are awesome...but for the sale price of $21 the little Pop is great. Yes, it takes longer for it to tick to the exact temp. But most of the time 3 seconds will tell you aproximate temp wihin a couple degrees and that's all I need. Say I need steak temp to be 120. When I check it and it slows near 100 degrees, thats all I need. I don't need to wait for the exact tick until my temp nears my target temp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I was using a rectal thermometer but only goes to, like 110F,
    Pretty 'crappy' way to measure the temp. Do you have to lube up the thermometer beforehand? Does the meat have to bend over in a certain position before inserting it?
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I bought a thermapen during their cyber Monday sale, around $70 and worth every penny!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

PSA - For those considering one, Thermapens go on sale very regularly.  No need to ever pay full price.

Phoenix 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Years ago I attended the funeral of a very wise man.  They shared his advice on life during his funeral ...

"If you need it once, borrow it.  If you need it twice, buy it.  If you are going to buy it, buy the best."

True story ... and he would have told you to buy the Thermapen.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have 2 thermapens. Work awesome. Bought the second one during a sale after having one by the grill and then needing it inside at the same time. Even got some friends to buy them after seeing mine in use. And in case anyone didn't know, it will read oil temp in a fryer. Just be sure to let it cool for a few seconds before folding the probe.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    This is the one I have used for couple years and works great.

http://lavatools.co/products/javelin?variant=1011604840

• slovelad
    Options
    @mo egg awesome. How quick does it give readings?
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    SGH said:
    I was using a rectal thermometer 
    It's the little things like this why I never stay for the night ;)
    Especially if you think you might be coming down with a fever!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • MelSharples
    Options
    I have found over the years that if I had just bought the best (usually more expensive) option available the first time I could save myself money and headaches in the long run. I bought the $20 "instant" read off brand thermometer twice and they worked fine but then I got the Thermapen Classic for my last birthday and it truly lives up to the hype.  Now I have a $70 utensil that works great and $40 worth of junk. I will learn my lesson one day!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • garyflintstone
    Options

I just got a Lavatools Javelin PRO.  3 seconds.  backlight.  It is awesome.  $28, $58, or $68. 

http://lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-le00

Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Anyone had issue with their thermapen ? Warranty issues or replacements?
    I've had my thermapen for about 8 years and it's still going. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Angela said:

I have 2 Thermapens. The oldest is 14 years old and both are still on the original battery!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    slovelad said:
    3-4 seconds
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    RRP said:
    Angela said:

I have 2 Thermapens. The oldest is 14 years old and both are still on the original battery!
    I'd certainly go ahead and change out that 14 year old battery. Sooner or later that baby is going to start leaking which could cause a malfunction. It's probably one of those oddball little 12v batteries yes (at least that is what is in my oldest Thermapen)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options

mo egg said:
    slovelad said:
    3-4 seconds
    The Lavatools thermos are nice. I've got two Javelins and a Javelin Pro and am very satisfied with them. Not any significant difference between them and my Thermapens/Thermopops.

The Javelins are good gear at a good price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    Angela said:

@RRP ... Hey Ron, that little plastic tab that is sticking out from under the cover on your Thermapen ... pull it out ... then the numbers will show up on the screen.  Geez ... 14 years and the tab is still in place ... hmmm.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Thermapen excels when you are cooking multiple items on the grill at the same time, say like a dozen chicken breasts.  The quick reading times will minimize the time the dome is open, which will help keep your temp where you want it.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    Thermapen excels when you are cooking multiple items on the grill at the same time, say like a dozen chicken breasts.  The quick reading times will minimize the time the dome is open, which will help keep your temp where you want it.
    I just take the temp of the largest breast and if it's done the rest are.  LOL
    War Damn Eagle!
  • pinballLooking
    Options
    ibanda said:
    Thermopops are on sale right now for $21, an amazing deal!

Thanks for posting. I just ordered one.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, my original T-pen batteries finally died. I guess six+ years isn't bad. Not Ron's 14, but I'll take it. I had noticed recently that it sometimes (not always) took a few seconds for the display to appear. Last night, it simply didn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    mo egg said:
    This is the one I have used for couple years and works great.

http://lavatools.co/products/javelin?variant=1011604840

I have the same one, bought it a year ago when I bought my egg. Heard about the thermopen never got around to buying one. But this one works great for me. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"