Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessories - Where to buy? Online or Retail?

Options
I got a large BGE for Christmas.  I am in NC.  I am trying to figure out the best place to start buying the accessories.  Do most of you find pretty standard pricing from local retailers?  Or is there a preferred online retailer for egg accessories?  I do not need everything to be official egg branded, just wondering where most of you go for the stuff.
Large BGE - NCSU Wolfpack - Raleigh, NC

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com

www.meatchurch.com

www.smokeware.com

www.thermoworks.com

That should net you everything you need to get started. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ^^ Agreed with the above.  

Where are you locating in NC? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chooks
    chooks Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in Raleigh.  Ace Hardware is the official distributor near me,
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    www.firecraft.com
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    See above. My local distributor marks some things up outrageously e.g. Kick Ash basket for LBGE was ~$100 in the store, and almost half that online.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would look at both in store, on line and also re-seller sites.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I prefer to support my local brick and mortar store if they are good folks who sell at a reasonable price.  The relationship and ability to handle the merchandise is worth a premium to me.  If the online store is both reputable and substantially cheaper, then that's where the money goes.

An interesting back story.  I wanted a DigiQ unit so asked my dealer for a price (he quoted the green one with famous initials on it), but Firecraft listed the same green unit with "Bubba" on it for about $80 less.  Yep, the check went to Firecraft.  I shared that info with my dealer and about six months later he started carrying the Flameboss controller also.  Yep, when I wanted a wifi enabled unit, he got my controller business back ... smart dealer.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    What are you looking for? A few basics that are nice to have are good gloves, a way to set up indirect (like the plate setter), a wireless thermometer and a good instant thermometer. 

We will make lots of suggestions to spend your money here!  @caliking is buying me a smokeware cap with my $$ ;)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    I live in Cary and have found the town and country stores around here are pretty good. The only thing I can't find local is rockwood. Have fun with your egg. I got mine in July and love it!
  • chooks
    chooks Posts: 3
    Options
    The more I look, the more I am seeing that the accessories will easily surpass the price of the egg.  

I am going to start with the necessities for daily use (ash cleaner, gloves, side tables, etc).  Then I plan to start working on the cooking gear (ie conveggtor, pizza stone, and other ceramics).  

My wife has complained for years that I am hard to buy gifts for.  I now have a lengthy list for her to choose from!!!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    chooks said:
    The more I look, the more I am seeing that the accessories will easily surpass the price of the egg.  

I am going to start with the necessities for daily use (ash cleaner, gloves, side tables, etc).  Then I plan to start working on the cooking gear (ie conveggtor, pizza stone, and other ceramics).  

My wife has complained for years that I am hard to buy gifts for.  I now have a lengthy list for her to choose from!!!
    You can go crazy buying all these things, when you really will not use them all.  
    My main Eggcessories are as follows: 

• Thermapen
    • Platesetter 
    • 2-3 Fire bricks
    • Grill extender 
    • Heat res. gloves
    • Ash tool
    • Party Q - I only use this for low and slows
    • Cast iron pans
    • Good quality tongs
    • Nicely seasoned wok
    • Work gloves - Ones from Lowes.  I use them to stir lump and and grab cooled items. 
    • Gloves - I use THESE

I'd say if you plan to do low and slow, you'll need some kind of heat shield (either a platesetter, AR rig, etc).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'll put in a plug to support your local dealer as often as you can unless there are products you desire that are not available from your local dealer. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I live in Cary and have found the town and country stores around here are pretty good. The only thing I can't find local is rockwood. Have fun with your egg. I got mine in July and love it!

Yeah, sorry, we're not that far east.......yet.  Stay tuned.
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    @stlcharcoal that is great news. I'm looking forward to it. I've become a convert and love rockwood. Even my wife who was getting a little sick of the charcoal taste said just last night that she can't detect any strong charcoal flavor. I purchase from online but would love a local outlet. If I can help please let me know!
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Some great suggestions to get you going.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options

Just picked up some Rockwood today in Birmingham.  Looking forward to burnin' some!
    War Damn Eagle!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options

Any chance of coming to Virginia?
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va