Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why you should never eat salad. Ever.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Foghorn said:
    Bummer.  That sucks.

You've made me glad I have mostly crappy knives.
    Don't believe the hype. Even crappy knives ( but perhaps not really, really, really crappy knives :)) can be kept as sharp as "better" (aka, just more expensive knives) knives.

Just may need to sharpen crappy knives more often.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sounds like tossing the salad is much safer. Sucks about your thumb.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Were you just trying a new knockoff recipe for a Wendy's salad?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2016
    Unwrapped it all and got my first good look at it this morning. Looked so nasty I Almost went straight to the ER but once I got it cleaned up it looked a lot better. 

Btw- if you do not have this stuff in your first aid kit, go get it now. Totally saved me a trip to the er to stop the bleeding. Hurt like a mofo for about a minute but stopped the bleeding instantly after 2 hrs of pressure didn't make a dent. Sister in law said this is the first thing they would have done at the er. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey said:
    I would sell that demon house!
    It's the occupants, not the house. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    I have it but, I've only used it on my dog or cats when I accidentally hit the quick on their nails. I spect it would work considering it almost immediately stops the bleeding on their nails. It's just styptic powder in a small container. You can pick it up relatively cheap at PetsMart or other pet supply places. 
    Note: it's usually labeled (at pet places) as "Quick Stop". 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Ouch, that sucks.  I have lots of knives (Shun, Henckels, Wusthof) and my Shun is the only knife that I took out of the package and was amazed at how sharp it was.  Those things are scary sharp. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Ouch.  Dull knife leaves a raggedy cut, so I guess you've got that going for you! Heal quick.  Think about what, if anything, you'd do different ("slice kale, not thumb") and put it in motion.  But hope you can chalk it up to the fickle finger of fate and are back on the field soon!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

Btw- if you do not have this stuff in your first aid kit, go get it now. Totally saved me a trip to the er to stop the bleeding. Hurt like a mofo for about a minute but stopped the bleeding instantly after 2 hrs of pressure didn't make a dent. Sister in law said this is the first thing they would have done at the er. 

I've never noticed that stuff. Where found? Bought a bottle of liquid bandage for nicks, which also stings, but doesn't work well w. heavier blood flows.

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    This past New Year's Eve, I was using my brand new mandolin to slice up 1/4" potatoes because I was making @nolaegghead famous au gratin recipe.  Had sliced about a third of the *first* potato used on this mandolin and was so impressed that I called my wife into the kitchen to show her.  She was doing something, so I figured I'd do the rest of the potato.  Got down near the end, put the finger guard on that sucker and somehow the finger guard slipped and my thumb went right over the blade.  Sliced about half of the pad of my thumb off, 1/4" deep.

Of course, the bleeding wouldn't stop, so off to urgent care I went... pissed off.  Get in to the exam room and the nurse couldn't stop the bleeding, so the doc pulls out a finger tourniquet, bleeding immediately stops.  He put something similar to super glue over the wound and sent me home.

I'm not sure if I'm going to use a mandolin again.  I've since been told about "cut safe" gloves for food prep, so maybe I'll look those up some day.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited January 2016
    I think that knife has some bad Karma. I would ut that sucker away for ever
    I hope you heal ok. What a bummer. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Mandolines  are only a hazard if you "get greedy" and try to get "just one more slice" down to the last 1/4" of your spud or whatever.

Just to be safe, once you get thru half of the potato just throw the other uncut half away. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited January 2016
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker - When I did my thumb deal I quickly found out the value of two thumbs as I was down to one.  What a hassle-good luck with the one thumb adaptation as it is a royal pain in the A$$.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby said:

I've never noticed that stuff. Where found? Bought a bottle of liquid bandage for nicks, which also stings, but doesn't work well w. heavier blood flows.

we got this at the grocery store in the pharmacy area. It's commonly available at Pharmacies too. I had never seen it either until my SIL told me to go get it. It stopped it in seconds and it was pumping like the Dan Akroyd Julia Childs skit on snl. good stuff. Just remember, the burning means it's working :)

• I think that knife has some bad Karma. I would ut that sucker away for ever
    I hope you heal ok. What a bummer. 
    It gets a lot of use. I just wasn't paying attn. I assure you it has my full attention now.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    FWIW I'm pretty good at boogering up my hands on metal panels or anything that'll damage fresh. 
    This funny looking scar was from a double cog belt on an ElectroFreeze machine. Jag off plugged it back in while I was in it even though it was tagged out (SAFETY ALWAYS FIRST)!  I'm lucky I had quick enough reflexes and pulled my arm out just right or I would've probably lost my hand. That poor bastard that plugged it in probably dreads when I pull up now. He was crying by the time I left that day! Oh yeah and I kept going with a couple shots of hand sanitizer and paper towels wrapped with electrical tape and a 6mil glove. Got home and cleaned it up with alcohol, peroxide, betadine & bandaged. It was ugly!  Probably should've had stitches etc. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Pics or it didn't happen (haha)! Just kidding; that really sucks man!

The most painful one I ever did was a brand new microplane grater/zester. I was grating fresh ginger into a coconut soup I was making when the ginger slipped and I grated gouges into three fingers and my thumb which caused me to jerk back and knock the boiling soup onto my foot. It was NO BUENO!

Recover quickly and well.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Man, saying "that sucks" would be an understatement. Hope your appendage heals well.

A good friend of mine did something similar with a blender several years ago. he needs fingertips in his line of work, so his parts were surgically reattached.

In other news, i bought the Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpener that you were peddling a year or so ago. Sharpened all my crappy knives (the star of which is my $10 chefs knife form Target, ca. 2003), then last week I thought I should buy a "real" knife.

Was checking out Shun and other VG10 blades on Amazon, when I remembered the incident Janell had with her foot a while ago. I'm pretty sure SWMBO would maim herself with something that sharp, so I decided against it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Man, saying "that sucks" would be an understatement. Hope your appendage heals well.

A good friend of mine did something similar with a blender several years ago. he needs fingertips in his line of work, so his parts were surgically reattached.

In other news, i bought the Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpener that you were peddling a year or so ago. Sharpened all my crappy knives (the star of which is my $10 chefs knife form Target, ca. 2003), then last week I thought I should buy a "real" knife.

Was checking out Shun and other VG10 blades on Amazon, when I remembered the incident Janell had with her foot a while ago. I'm pretty sure SWMBO would maim herself with something that sharp, so I decided against it.

That thing out of the box was scary sharp. My Victornox cimetar as too. They are both still sharp but nothing like they were out of the box.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2016
    Unwrapped it all and got my first good look at it this morning. Looked so nasty I Almost went straight to the ER but once I got it cleaned up it looked a lot better. 

We used to get something called BFI powder that would seal a severed leg. I asked a pharmacist about it a couple of weeks ago and he laughed saying he hadn't been asked for it in thirty years. I have to get some of that stuff, or maybe some meat glue (which I thought would have been your go to).

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pics or it didn't happen (haha)! Just kidding; that really sucks man!

The most painful one I ever did was a brand new microplane grater/zester. I was grating fresh ginger into a coconut soup I was making when the ginger slipped and I grated gouges into three fingers and my thumb which caused me to jerk back and knock the boiling soup onto my foot. It was NO BUENO!

Recover quickly and well.

Cheers -
    B_B
    I've certainly donated some skin to the micro plane over the years. haven't pulled the soup trick; that is definitely in the playbook for the wife though. She has a "next level" when it comes to getting hurt.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    want to borrow my slicer =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • want to borrow my slicer =)

sweet jebus that thing looks like a Medieval torture device.

• Unwrapped it all and got my first good look at it this morning. Looked so nasty I Almost went straight to the ER but once I got it cleaned up it looked a lot better. 

We used to get something called BFI powder that would seal a severed leg. I asked a pharmacist about it a couple of weeks ago and he laughed saying he hadn't been asked for it in thirty years. I have to get some of that stuff, or maybe some meat glue (which I thought would have been your go to).
    The meat glue would have worked to glue my thumb tip back on after it stopped bleeding but had to stop the pumper first

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

sweet jebus that thing looks like a Medieval torture device.

did three fingers in one swoop cutting purple cabbage once =) must be into pain, found a second online for the camp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

That reminds me, I have one of these... ...hanging on the wall in my kitchen. Bought it because I thought it was a cool looking antique. Blades need sharpening, but the steel is in great shape. Wood too, for that matter. I've never used it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. 

Maybe I'll try it next time I make slaw. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

The meat glue would have worked to glue my thumb tip back on after it stopped bleeding but had to stop the pumper first

I've cut the dickens out of my finger....great skit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ouch... Sorry to hear this.... Hope it heals quickly
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Pics or it didn't happen :-)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I could hear the four-letter word all the way over here.  Sounded like 'OUCH' with a silent S and T, but I could be wrong.

When I ran three of my fingers too close to the table saw blade all I could think of was I'm going to have to learn to count in fractions.  Then I rushed myself to the emergency room where some nice lady sewed me up.  While she was sewing, I was thinking "$..T $..T $..T $..T" because it hurt really bad, but I managed to keep it to myself.   Thanks to her, they all grew back and I can still count to 10. (20 if I include my toes).  I prefer to point with my right hand fingers though.

Good luck with it.

Spring "1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. 6.. 6¾.. 7½..8¼.." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA