Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to do a Beef Tenderloin

Options
Steve_in_Md
Steve_in_Md Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about trying a whole beef tenderloin this weekend and looking for suggestions.[p]I'm thinking about using either CharCrust rub or Emerils Steak Rub -- applying it about an hour or so before going in the egg. [p]I'll probably use butchers twine to bring the smaller end over so as to make the whole loin about the same thickness throughout and cooking indirect at 350 dome until I get an internal temp of 140 and then taking it off and letting it rest for about 20 minutes.[p]Though I'm wondering if I should try to start off much hotter -- say 475-500 for the first 10-15 minutes or so and then crank the egg down to 325 or 350 for the remainder in order to get a nice crust on the loin.[p]Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Steve in Md,
    your plan is sound. ..one thing i'd do diffent is sear it at around 700 degrees, but only for about 90 seconds per side, then let it rest on a platter for about 20 minutes while you get your egg back down to around 350 degrees, then back on to finish (i.e. 'trex' it). ...[p]btw, if you want to go a little more 'over the top' here is a link to a lobster stuffed one i did a couple of years ago. . ..and even if you want to roast it whole, give the stuffing a try even if you just serve it on the side... it is some good stuff with the tenderloin. . ..HTH

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/169620.htm[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Steve in Md, I think 140 maybe to high to pull off, that may end up being 145-150 and not as good. I would shoot for 125-130 for rare to med rare. I like doing these meats along with tri-tip using a slow method first at 250 to about 125, let it rest then sear it.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Steve in Md,[p]One recipe we use for oven-cooking a tenderloin is also pretty simple and should translate well to indirect on the Egg - I've been meaning to try it but haven't yet.[p]2-3 tablespns cracked black pepper
    2-3 tablespns garlic salt (we ususally use less)
    1/2 cup worcestershire sauce[p]Trim fat off meat and tie. Make a shallow boat out heavy duty aluminum foil to fit length of tenderloin. [p]Mix dry ingredients together. Pour worcestershire over tied tenderloin and roll in the garlic/pepper mix. Place in boat. Roast at pre-heated oven at 350 for 45 minutes, let rest ten more.[p]In the kitchen oven this produces an even medium rare except on particularly thick pieces - they might need a bit more time.