Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why you should never eat salad. Ever.

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I was fine chopping some spinach and kale mix with my freshly honed 8" Shun Ken Onion Chef knife this afternoon and I guess I wasn't paying close enough attn.  in my haste, I cut off the tip of my left thumb off so fast I didn't even feel it. I'll spare you the gruesome pics until it heals up but I have never suffered a cut as bad as this one. My thumb is totally squared off and it ain't growing back. Never would have happened with a nice fat ribeye. 

For those of you who have been following along, this is the same knife that basically pinned Janell's foot to the kitchen floor when she dropped it the day we bought it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Damn man. Keep that sucker clean. You dont wanna let that get infected. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn man. Keep that sucker clean. You dont wanna let that get infected. 
    I'm hawking it for sure. Very glad I wasn't cutting raw meat. The blade was freshly sanitized and it went through like a razor. Sister in law is a nurse and she's making sure I do the right stuff to keep it clean. It is a nasty, nasty cut. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    The blade is cursed.

i will pay the postage for you to send it to me.

you are welcome.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Wow...makes me think twice how important having "the scary sharp" knives in my house is.  That knife has cost y'all a whole lot more than the price tag.  

I hope you recover soon and I'm glad your SIL is helping you out.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have been warning people against salads and vegetables for years ;)
    On a serious note, certainly sorry to hear of the accident my friend. As bad as it is, glad that it's not even worse. I have seen some serious knife accidents in my time. I have a good friend who is missing a left thumb and pointer finger due to a slip of a mechanical harvester. It doesn't take but a split second for a routine task to turn ugly real fast. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    See. That's what "roll tide" will get you. Blood.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    That is what you get for killing vegetables for food.  

Signed PETV (people for the ethical treatment of vegetables)

"This salad tastes funny, but I can't put my finger on it"

Wait I've got more...

How was the salad?  "Just about two thumbs up"

Just having fun.. Get better man! 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Been there, done that.  I feel for ya.  I cut my finger chopping chives with a Shun....through the nail, down to the bone.  Too drunk and hungry to do anything but wrap it up (as bloody as Monty Python's Black Knight) and kept on drinking and proceeded with dinner.  Regret is a dish best served  when you sober up in the morning.
    Options
    "This salad tastes funny, but I can't put my finger on it" - Brilliant

Bad times about your thumb.  I did the same only it was a carrot and steak knife.  From now on, no more salad.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Did the same slicing cucumbers on a mandoline. The tip of my right thumb is square. I haven't used one since.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the thumb. I bought myself a new Zhun premium 8" chef's knife for Christmas. I've nicked myself twice - it is a sharp blade after proper sharpening and honing. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn man, sorry to hear that!  That is one sharp-ass knife.  Get well soon!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Sorry man.  that sucks. The worst I've done was cut a little sliver off my thumb. Too much to throw away. So I cleaned everything good, taped it back together . It was sensitive for a couple of weeks but it worked.  I was in a hurry,cutting up cooked chicken breast for tacos,for my friends birthday. Knock on wood I'm almost 40 and never had a stitch. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Damn dude. That sucks. Hope it heals up soon
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    See, that's the trouble with those foreign knives ... no manners.  Sorry to hear about your accident.  Hope it heals without complications.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Eeek! Sorry to here this buddy.  Hopefully it heals well.  Bad thing is, it'll be sore.  

Cut my finger with a Shun too. I just bought my new Shun and wasn't even using it.  It was laying on my cutting board and I was moving something else when my finger bumped into it and gashed it open.  I have respected it ever since.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Egad!!! Ouch man, very sorry to hear this. This truly shows us the danger of roughage, consider your warning heeded.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,392
    Options
    Did a similar deal a couple of years ago with the tip of the thumb.  Rubbing alcohol over the opening then bandage and good 'ol duct tape.  After changing the bandage and reopening the wound, I finally used the non-stick bandage and that was the key to the healing process.  I'm sure your SIL will go with the non-stick.
    And I'm all in with the no vegetables or anything green other than oysters rockefeller.  
    Good luck with the healing process.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Youch! Do keep it clean. Sliced off part of a knuckle a few years ago with a boning knife, didn't keep it clean enough. Infection got into the joint, which sent me into surgery.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Bummer.  That sucks.

You've made me glad I have mostly crappy knives.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Two weeks ago, I sliced a wedge into my index finder with the the same type of knife, cutting through romaine lettuce.  Wrapped it up, after a few choice words, and proceeded to finish making dinner.  After two hours, it still wouldn't stop bleeding, so I took trip to the emergency room. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That sucks......I hate when I cut myself.  Just about took the tip of my index finger off opening a cryo-vac pouch a couple years ago...No Bueno.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Wow!  So sorry to hear this.  I hope it heals well, and doesn't continue to cause you pain.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2016
    Options
    tis but a flesh wound

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man I am sorry to hear about this. In many restaurants, they use a knife safe glove of the off hand. I don't have one but this seriously nudges me in that direction. While it does not look cool.....it can be beneficial to those of us who are getting older and may not that the same focus (particular with adult beverages involved. Be careful out there with that thumb. Take good care of what remains, and all the best on the recovery.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    "They" say that a sharp knife is much safer than a dull one. In some ways, I get that. I guess. But sometimes, I wonder if "they" are the guys selling expensive knives or sharpening systems.

Then again, I cut my finger yesterday on the foil on a wine bottle!! Bled like a stuck pig! Guess I will have to give up wine?

Hope you heal well, and quickly!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Ouch!! Hope you heal quickly. Another reminder that I need to finish those crafty knife skill videos.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would sell that demon house!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dude, that blows so bad!  I try to keep all "my" knives extremely sharp that I keep in my roll. I hope heals cleanly. Yet another versatile use of white hot CI... cauterizing wounds :wink: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL