Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Visiting Canada this year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    MJG said:
    Going to visit family in Toronto this spring or summer. 

Now there is a smart man (Or woman). Greatest city on the planet especially if you like to eat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    'Toronto' backwards is 'otnoroT'
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    MJG said:

Greatest city on the planet 
    He speaks the truth.   Just ask anyone from Toronto....
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Canadian_Egger
    Options
    Don't miss our two Eggfest's
    www.niagaraeggfest.com
    www.biggreeneggtoronto.com

LBGE for Christmas 2015 - just starting out!

Weber gasser

Burlington Ontario

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Braggart said:
    MJG said:

Oh I'm not from TO I just get the news stations. City TV especially

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Braggart said:
    MJG said:

Don't be so modest Steve.  You are TO through and through!

Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've heard Little Steven called a lot of things, but I've never heard him called a raccoon.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Braggart said:
    MJG said:

Don't be so modest Steve.  You are TO through and through!

Ya messed up Mr. Flintstone it's this way. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Braggart
    Options
    Warms my heart to see that even our US friends know enough to pick on those from TO. 
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So if a feller wanted to bring the youngins to Banff and such, what time o'year should he come?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    So if a feller wanted to bring the youngins to Banff and such, what time o'year should he come?
    September during the elk rut is hard to beat. 
  • Braggart
    Options
    Depends on what you are wanting to accomplish...how old are the kids?  Want to hike?  See bears?  Go fishing?  Or just drive around?

Have to remember that at higher elevations, the snow sticks around for a longer time.   You can easily find snow in June.   Runoff downstream hits it's peak in early July. 

First week of July....combine with Calgary Stampede.  Great time for the kids, rodeo for adults.   Weather is okay.  Can be a bit wet.  

Mid July to Aug...best weather.  Everything open, but busy.    Best time for families. 

Sept...fall comes early in the mountains, but by far the most beautiful time IMO.    Leaves are turning, evenings are cool, no bugs.   

Doesn't matter when you go...you'll see lots of wildlife and plenty of jaw dropping sights.

Banff (town) itself needs to be taken with a grain of salt (unadulterated capitalism at its worst), but the parks/facilities/Icefields and other towns like Jasper, Canmore, Bragg Creek are pretty little gems.   
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @theyolksonyou   ^^^ @Braggart's advice is spot on imho.  I used to live 4 miles from him!  It's out in the Albera wilderness, so that is quite a coincidence.

From Calgary west is very nice all the way into BC.  Also very nice heading North to the Jasper area.

Stop in your travels often - There is an abundance of tremendous picnic spots next to beautiful streams and waterfalls.  They all have hiking trails and nature walks around these stops.

Phoenix 
  • Braggart
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ...things to do...

Take a day hike up to the tea houses in Lake Louise area.  
    Visit the glaciers at the Icefields.  Walk right on the glaciers.   
    Take the skywalk over Sunwapta canyon on the Icefields Parkway. 
    Take the tram overlooking the town of Jasper. 
    Canoe Lake Louise. 
    Mountain bike the trails around Canmore, Banff or Bragg. 
    Visit the Dinosaur museum in Drumheller (2 hrs east of Cgy)...Mecca for kids!
    Go fossil hunting in the badlands, where the dinosaurs used to roam. 
    Lots of varied hiking in the parks...beginner to intermediate to overnight.  
    Walk around the town of Banff, visit the hot springs and the Banff Springs Hotel. 
    Head south and visit Waterton National Park.  Raw and beautiful.  Stunning. 
    Lots of fishing in the mountains, high mountain lakes and freestone rivers. 
    So many lakes and rivers and waterfalls to hike to in the parks.  Too many to list. 
    Camp in the mountains.   Whether in a tent or camper.  Worth it.  Very cool. 
    Talk to fellow eggers in the area and arrange to spend an afternoon smoking something while the spouses exercise some retail therapy in Calgary or area. 

Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I concur with @Braggart stampede might be your best time especially for the parade if you have younger kids.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ