Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garage Cooking??

Options
13»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree with Darby.  I don't want to know details of an egger's suicide.  

Besides, this isn't new and is quite common in other countries.   In Asian countries charcoal burning is the second most common way to commit suicide. 

Phoenix 
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    RRP said:
    I would get that out of my garage if I were you. Chris C from Dizzy Pig fame burnt his house down egging in his garage.
    Hi folks, Chris C asked me to respond for him, just correcting the facts. Chris was not egging in his garage. His egg was 30ft away from the garage. An ember came out of the bottom vent (pre- screens), found a leaf and that leaf was carried into the garage with the breeze. 
    Be safe out there folks
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Grab a fire extinguisher to keep near your grilling setup. Cheap insurance to stop or slow down a disaster. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to do this, but per request here are pics of the arctic butt cook and subsequent pulling. BTW, it was fabulous.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Guess I should stop using my welder in the garage too then. Heck of a lot more sparks then lighting a egg for sure.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    How does that song go.... The roof .. The roof... The roof is on ____.... Can't seem to remember the words
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Guess I should stop using my welder in the garage too then. Heck of a lot more sparks then lighting a egg for sure.
    And I'm getting ready to add a shed onto our old meat house to house my M and XL.  Got banished off the porch to the wood shed when SWMBO repainted the porch this summer.  Don't know, maybe not the best of ideas but want in out of the crappy weather we have here.  Gotta welder in my shop too and a cutting torch.  Also keep extinguishers handy. The industrial kind, not the big box Kiddies.
       On a side note, I got a fish cooker a few years ago.  One of those sets from Bass Pro.  Burner, CI kettle, lid and strainer.  Set it up on the porch and fired it up to season it.  Son was supposed to be watching it.  Went out and flames were licking on the top of the oil.  Got some heavy pliers, grabbed the bail and carried it over to where I dump wood ashes to empty the kettle.  Some of the oil hit some grass.  I didn't think anything about it.  The whole shootin match went up in flames.  Scorched my whole right side.  Not a hair left, though I wasn't really hurt.  Looked up at the porch and my son was dying laughing.  Thought the whole thing was hilarious.  Old dad in a ball of flames.  Wanted to kill him.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @fishindoc-That result-definitely worth it.  Great cook!
    @FarmerTom - wouldn't be a "like father, like son experience would it?"  Great story.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    How does that song go.... The roof .. The roof... The roof is on ____.... Can't seem to remember the words
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @slovelad is the above a "do over" from your post at 12:16?? Just wondering ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @FarmerTom great story...lol

I have said it is not the smartest move at all. I do keep fire extinguishers handy at all times and water is also in my garage/shop. It also is detached from the house not that that matters much I guess. Worst case I got really good insurance.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Farmertom...lol!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @FarmerTom ... great story.  All I can say is that grandkids are God's reward for not holding our direct descendant's head under water until the bubbles stop.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Jeepster47, It's funny now, not so much at the time.  Like many teenagers, he was texting and paying no attention to the cooker.  I was inside getting fish and potatoes ready to cook.  When I went out, there were blue flames dancing across the oil.  Wasn't at all happy with him.  I knew hot oil could be dangerous, but had no idea it would ignite like it did when I dumped it in old ashes.  Son said the fireball went 10-12 ft. up in the air. Thought it was great.  He's a bit of a pyro.  Loves fireworks and anything loud or explosive.  Anyway, I now have a deep respect for hot oil. 

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Well I should clarify...by garage I mean I set the table in the door opening. I guess I could still have an ember, but Ive never seen embers blowing around during my low and slow cooks. Still unsafe??
    I'm wondering how long it would take a CO alarm to go off if you had one in your garage with an Egg in operation.

CO is known as the silent killer. 

Yes, in my book, still unsafe.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    fishindoc said:
    Well I should clarify...by garage I mean I set the table in the door opening. I guess I could still have an ember, but Ive never seen embers blowing around during my low and slow cooks. Still unsafe??
    I'm wondering how long it would take a CO alarm to go off if you had one in your garage with an Egg in operation.

I can understand the danger inside a closed garage, but setting up at the entrance with the door open?  Seems like that would take an awful lot of CO to displace all that fresh air.  But who am I to say?  However, I don't have that problem as I don't have a garage.  Just cooking in a wood shed with 2 big doorways.  Think the cold or the smoke when the wind is wrong will get me before the CO.   ;);)

Tommy 

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Zmokin said:
    fishindoc said:

I can understand the danger inside a closed garage, but setting up at the entrance with the door open?  Seems like that would take an awful lot of CO to displace all that fresh air.  But who am I to say?  However, I don't have that problem as I don't have a garage.  Just cooking in a wood shed with 2 big doorways.  Think the cold or the smoke when the wind is wrong will get me before the CO.   ;);)

That's what I was thinking as well.   I haven't done it often, just when raining a few times.   Pulled in just enough so that the overhang is over the grill, but essentially wide open air.   I've thrown a fan in the garage blowing back toward the door as well just to be on safe side.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Ok, Im gonna (when it warms up a tad, today is -20 wind chills) do a cook with the garage door open and the table placed there as I typically do, and plug in my CO monitor right there in the garage. I will report back.