Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: And the stars look very different today

Options
RIP, David Bowie.  This one will stick with me for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY-cZew2xTc 
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Heaven knows [we'd] have taken anything . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    there's a playlist on youtube of a bunch of vids.  playing in the studio while i do some renderings today.

didn't even know the dude was sick....

69 too. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Good by Major Tom......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Had no idea he was sick. That's a shame, he had a great career and was a very unique guy.

Rock stars seem to be dropping left and right, Scott Weiland, Lemmy, now Bowie. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Put on your red shoes and dance the blues......
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I just bought his latest album "Blackstar" a couple days ago. Had no idea he was near death. Was stunned to see mention of his passing in my Twitter feed last night.

Glad he was able to finish one more project before he skipped town.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I just bought his latest album "Blackstar" a couple days ago. Had no idea he was near death. Was stunned to see mention of his passing in my Twitter feed last night.

I've heard really good things about that album - need to check it out.  People are describing it as a long love letter to his fans.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    His impact on R&R was large at least!  Great stuff.  Saw him in Tampa in the late 80's/early 90's when Frampton was playing in the band.  Really fun show.  69 is too young.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm going to have to listen to the new one again.  For no reason at all I pulled it up on Spotify last night and skipped through it in 30 min or so.  It wasn't my cup of tea.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I've heard really good things about that album - need to check it out.  People are describing it as a long love letter to his fans.  
    Some people say "Blackstar" was him saying goodbye to his fans. Planet Earth is Blue...

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    HeavyG said:

Some people say "Blackstar" was him saying goodbye to his fans. Planet Earth is Blue...
    The lyrics to Lazarus are like a farewell letter. Sad day indeed.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Bowie's passion for being unusual is legendary.  My Mom was shocked that the nice young man who sang "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing Crosby is the same guy who wears make-up and sings Ziggy Stardust.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RIP Major Tom
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "Oh baby, just you shut your mouth". 
    I had several vinyl albums along with t-shirts etc back in the 70-early 90 till they plum wore out. 

@HuddleHouseCook has a David Bowie poster in his room. His music transcended. He contributed so much artistically. 

https://youtu.be/HSH--SJKVQQ

And redone by Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) which I thought was done with sheer class. 
    https://youtu.be/HjKcCGaCiu0

RIP David Jones (Bowie)

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rebel, Rebel. Heroes. Ziggy Stardust.
    I listened to NPR all day, from what I learned today, he had multifaceted brilliance, and was one of the wealthiest rockers from his era. He took his profits from his sale of intellectual holdings, and invested heavily, to get the internet started in Europe. Made millions off his investments, and returned no less than 7.8% every year to his investors. Incredible talent as a painter, actor, musician, generous man to many charities, a gracious gentleman to those he met.
    The stars do look very different today.
    They are the final, beautiful and welcoming destination for one of their own, which will shine forever, because of his magical, yet short time, amongst we mortals.
    We Could Be Heroes, Let's Dance.
    Thank you, David.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One of the best shows I ever saw when he came out with Ziggy Stardust.  Band in Spider costumes and him coming out of the ceiling in a space ship.  There probably were some other mind altering influences at that show too, but we won't go there.

Truly a visionary, watched clips from his interview years ago with Charlie Rose this morning and it was incredible.  His latest video shortly before his death was bizarre, he knew it was coming.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I doubt anyone cares, but I have to vent this somewhere so OTBGE it is-  I enjoyed Bowie and his sidecar project Tin Machine in High School, 88-91 and was lucky enough to see him in Hartford circa 1989 or 1990. It was billed as his final tour of playing David Bowie and it was supposed to be all new and experimental stuff going forward. 

Two things came to mind at the concert:

1/ This guy could dance!  Really dance!  God I hate dancing and he was amazing

2/ He took a set break and said he would have a water, and be right back. He went off stage, had a water, and was back in 5 min. He grabbed  a guitar with house lights on, and most of the audience in the washroom. Slowly his crew band, and other performers made their way back to the stage, as he strummed away. When the lights guys were in place, the lighting was more interesting. When the sound crew returned, it got better, and when the band was ready to rock they all synced and continued the show. Such class-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Came across this tribute to Bowie today. Played by the bells from the 600+ year old Dom Tower church tower in the Netherlands: https://www.facebook.com/marchal.molenaar/videos/961280887284138/?permPage=1

The carillonneur (the bell player) is going to do a 1 hour tribute to Bowie this coming Saturday morning.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gabriegger
    Options
    @HeavyG Amazing.  Thanks for the post.  The most significant of all tributes I've seen over past couple of days.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cray cray
    Options
    Lost so many last year.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Lost so many last year.