Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody tried Old Dave's setup on the XL?

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been inspired by Mike of Egg and the Family Stone about the possibility of doing a whole competition on one XL (well, I guess I am not quite as daring, as the XL has a lot more room than the large). Ahem, anyway, I was wondering if anyone (including Old Dave) had tried Old Dave's setup on the XL? I have already scoped out a source for an 18 x 2 inch round pie pan that will fit the XL. A little band iron and I think I am in business. [p]Also, question for Mike and Old Dave. When you have the butt sitting on the top grid and brisket on the bottom (or visa versa) how do you keep the drippings from the meat on top from ruining the crust of the meat on the bottom? I did this once with brisket on the bottom, and the fat from the butt created a big bald spot right in the heart of the brisket, which was a problem for presentation. [p]Brett

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Honestly, I don't try to keep the juices off the butts from dripping on the brisket. You're right that it makes the center section on the top of the brisket look different from the rest. But that didn't seem to hurt my score at all. [p]What may have helped was that I sauced twice near the end of the cooking time. This helped restore a consistent appearance across the top of the brisket. I guess a lot less drippings come off the butt toward the end of the cook, so it doesn't mess up the appearance of the brisket as much during that stage? Kind of a guess here...[p]I'd make sure you have Dave check your numbers on that pie pan. I use about a 12" on my setup. If you figure the "ledge" that the grate sits on takes up about an inch on either side of the 18" main grid, then you really only have two inches all around the pie pan for the air to flow. If the grid on the XL is 22" (I can't remember if I've got that number right), and has a similar one-inch "ledge", then you're only allowing 1" of airflow around your pie pan. That may work, but you may have better luck with a 16" pan. [p]Let us know if you do compete with the XL. We'd love to hear how it goes!

• The Virginian
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Thanks. 18 inches is the diameter of the XL platesetter when you don't include the feet that extend out, so I think it will work ok, I hope so anyway. Maybe Dave can weigh in here. I plan on doing this at an end of the year competition in Shelby, NC in early November, but I plan on trying a practice cook sometime in the next month. If I remember I will post on my experience. [p]Brett

• Unknown
    Options
    Brett,[p]I don't have an XL but would think that I could come up with something that would work but may need a little time to get some measurements from that cooker. Will be cooking with Shigs N Pits this weekend and they do use an XL so I will see what I can do with a setup for this cooker.[p]There is never a problem using my method with the drippings from pork going down on a brisket as I prefer this and do it on all my cookers. [p]Will get back to you,[p]Dave
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Could someone enlighten me and tell me what exactly is "Old Dave's setup"
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Do a search on "contraption", which is what Old Dave calls his setup. It's a 3-tier grid system he designed, where the bottom grid is used to hold a drip pan. It allows you to cook your other two levels at lower heights within the Egg, which prevents cooking your upper level at too high a temp. The plate setter works great for cooking a single level, but if you try using the grid extender on top of that, your food on the top level is getting pretty far up in the dome.

If you can't find any more details here on the forum, email me and I'll send you some notes that Old Dave sent to me.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Are you going to the King City show Down In Mt Vernon ? I tried ti get over last year to meet you but something came up. Thanks, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]We'll be there and stop in for a cold treat.[p]Dave