Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garage Cooking??

Options

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @DMW >insurance company

exactly.  good point. anyone who wants to cook in their garage should skip asking a bunch of anonymous internet people, and simply call their insurance company and se what they think
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I have a friend who's been cookin' in his garage for eons.  Never a problem, but just in case, he has a smoke alarm that plays "We didn't start the fire"!!~~
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Well, I draw the line when its raining...then I do set the table in the doorway but Im there watching things pretty closely. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Lol....I cook in my garage all the time. Not saying it is a good idea. My garage is detached from my home though not that that matters. For venting I crack the door open and open the overhead door a few inches for a draft. If smoking it gets a little smoky but who cares it makes the pickup smell really good.

I am in NO way telling you this is ok as YES it is probably unsafe. But how many have started there house on fire from having there egg on a deck or patio and they were outside.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Backpat

As you were
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @badinfluence people shouldn't be grilling on a wood deck either
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• djebens1@yahoo.com
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Along with the fire, another deadly hazard from using a barbecue indoors is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless and deadly (my neighbor died in his garage from carbon monoxide poisoning).

The May Clinic's web site says "People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there's a problem." This is especially true if the victim is drunk or sleeping.

CO binds to hemoglobin in blood so oxygen can't bind to it. Because CO takes a long time to detach from the hemoglobin, even moving the victim to fresh air won't get oxygen into the blood quickly.

From the BGE safety page (http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/safety-tips/):

CAUTION — smoldering charcoal will emit carbon monoxide which is extremely dangerous! Never place an EGG with hot or smoldering charcoal inside a structure where people or pets are present – even if the air flow controls are shut. Allow the EGG to cool completely before moving into indoor storage.

As Sergeant Phil Esterhaus used to say: "Let's be careful out there."
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I only run my propane burner in garage when cooking things that smell up the house and it's raining.  Run a fan for ventilation.   I would never burn lump in my garage.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    You can cook a good  butt in a Dutch oven in the oven and a better one in a crock pot and still have a house when it's done, but its your choice.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Along with the fire, another deadly hazard from using a barbecue indoors is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless and deadly (my neighbor died in his garage from carbon monoxide poisoning).

The May Clinic's web site says "People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there's a problem." This is especially true if the victim is drunk or sleeping.

CO binds to hemoglobin in blood so oxygen can't bind to it. Because CO takes a long time to detach from the hemoglobin, even moving the victim to fresh air won't get oxygen into the blood quickly.

CAUTION — smoldering charcoal will emit carbon monoxide which is extremely dangerous! Never place an EGG with hot or smoldering charcoal inside a structure where people or pets are present – even if the air flow controls are shut. Allow the EGG to cool completely before moving into indoor storage.

It's no secret that a very popular egger used CO from his egg to end his life.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ron, I didn't know that as I've not been here long.  Damn, wish I didn't.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Wow that was a cold fire-up...I feel like I just did my "rite of passage" into the True Egg-Head club. Seems like there should be a ceremony
    Nope, not until you forget to close the dome and then have a bit of snow. =)

Good decision on rolling it outside, btw.

Reminds me of throwing steaks on during Snowmagedon in the DC area in 2010.  I had a pic that I can't find at the moment of me grilling steaks with literally 4+feet of snow.  I had to shovel a path for the dog, so I took a small detour over to the Egg. Dang good ribeyes!!!! 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    not a secret, but also not widely known.

certainly not likely known by the vast majority of people on the current iteration of the forum.

now the inevitable question "who", and then maybe someone can run through the whole story for everyone.

sigh

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    This is headed in a real bad direction. Jeezus Ron!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm content with leaving it at, "egging in the garage is a really bad idea."
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Let it go.  No need for anymore information.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm outahere
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no need to bail.  just let's let sleeping dogs lie.

• RRP
    Options
    no need to bail.  just let's let sleeping dogs lie.

I just meant this thread! 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Cooking inside using propane or charcoal grill is not recommended.

People cook daily on their stove/oven using propane or natural gas. CO is not a major concern. While it is possible for some to die cooking a roast in their gas oven, I have never read about it. CO poisoning occurs when the space is small and a lack of fresh air entering that space. Think boat or tent.

The danger cooking with charcoal is a fire not CO. CO detectors will sound an alarm way before the percentage will become dangerous. The important thing is to have multiple CO detectors and make sure they have not expired. In the marine world CO detectors are good for 5 years; after that they need to be replaced.

Cooking inside requires a hood and fan. It also requires that everything nearby is non-flammable. Local code may also require a fire suppression system.

I find it easier to use the egg outside than to jump thru additional hoops to make it safer.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah. Seen "Animal House?" A lot like Delta House.  Got a Lincoln?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Wow that was a cold fire-up...I feel like I just did my "rite of passage" into the True Egg-Head club. Seems like there should be a ceremony
    Nope, not until you forget to close the dome and then have a bit of snow. =)

Good decision on rolling it outside, btw.

Wow that brings back memories!  

I'm guessing you left it open so the gasket would freeze shut? 

Phoenix 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I want to know how you could kill yourself with the co from a egg in a garage. My garage is a 4 car garage and never had any issues. I do leave doors open to clear smoke. I'm not sure I know who you are referring @RRP but I had never heard of anyone dieing.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I want to know how you could kill yourself with the co from a egg in a garage. My garage is a 4 car garage and never had any issues. I do leave doors open to clear smoke. I'm not sure I know who you are referring @RRP but I had never heard of anyone dieing.
    It's dangerous for sure. We were cooking at the opening to a buddies garage and had his back door of the house open creating a draft that way and it set his CO detector off in the house. I wheel my eggs into the garage to cool down all the time but I leave the door cracked and put a fan pointing out and have a CO detector right inside the garage door to the house.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm guessing you left it open so the gasket would freeze shut? 

No, I never do anything to prevent gasket freezing. Single layer Rutlands don't freeze... well, mine never has anyway. 

I went out the night before (no snow), opened the dome, stirred and added lump (didn't light it) and went back inside for something. Then I decided not to bother with the egg and to cook inside. Forgot I had left the dome open. Woke up to two feet or so of powder!

There was surprisingly little snow on the lump. Very little got past the CI grid. I just shoveled it off. Took the lump out and let it dry for a bit (if it was even wet) and used it for another cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    badinfluence.  one, not everyone is lucky enough to have a four car garage.

we have a one car garage.

i opened the garage door, started the car, and backed out, and then shut the garage door, car still idling outside.

upstairs, in the winter with the windows closed, the CO detector went off outside our bedrooms.

CO is no joke

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    RRP said:

It's no secret that a very popular egger used CO from his egg to end his life.
    did not know this, it just pisses me off, i have no tolerance for this anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Been around for awhile also and I had never heard anything at all regarding someone killing themselves. Crazy.