Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How smoky is a turkey done on the EGG ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I want to do my 11 lb turky on the egg, but I am just wondering how smoky it will be ? Thinking of an elderly guest who may not like it. And, do you still serve it with regular turkey gravy ? Thanks.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    EJ,
    Poultry absorbs smoke quickly, and can easily be smoked too much. Even a little is too much for some folks. I used 2 chunks of pecan on last year's, and many thought it was too smoky. Yet they don't normally eat smoked turkey. For those who are used to smoked meat, a few chunks are good. But for the uninitiated, the flavor of the lump charcoal smoke alone gives the bird plenty of character and smoke flavor.[p]Also, the higher temps you use, the less smoky it will be.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    EJ,[p]I did a 6 lb chicken yesterday (kind of a practice bird..) on a verticle roaster at 375* for 90 minutes. I didn't add any chunks for smoke save the natural BGE brand lump. It was just smokey enough for me and plenty smokey for my wife. I planned on using pecan chunks for more smoke, but I think that natural lump gives enough smoke flavor. Just 1 man's opinion.[p]Jimbo