Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt question

Options
maybe a crazy question, but is sea salt much more salty then regular table salt?  i've used sea salt a couple of times and it seems as though what i grill is way over salted.  using about the same amount as regular table salt.   thanks in advance.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Depends on the sea salt you use (a little) but both iodized table salt and sea salt are about 40% sodium by weight.  They do differ in texture and size and i prefer sea salt or good old Kosher salt to the table salt.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Are both salts the same grind? Gram for gram, ounce for ounce, they are the same.

However, a teaspoon of course ground kosher salt is much different than fine grain sea salt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I think you have it backwards. Table salt is more "concentrated" in the sense that recipes that call for 1 cup of table salt would require about 1.25 cups of kosher salt. The reason is that the larger grind of the kosher salt results in less salt per unit of volume.

Sometimes I think larger grind salts might taste saltier on meat because the don't dissolve so easily. For example, sprinkling for huge flakes of Maldon salt on a ribeye is a much different/better taste that table salt.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I think they both have the same NaCl content but the textures can be much different, which might ultimately effect the amount you apply to your food, unless of course you weigh it before applying it.  Both technically come from the sea, but table salt is mined and iodine is usually added to it.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is all I have used for lots of years. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I personallynever salt pork. Don't get me wrong, there is generally salt in my rubs. If I was to not use a rub (seldom) I only use pepper. It is just how I roll with pork.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow