Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg not getting up to temp...

I'm having some sort of issue with my egg.  Tried to make pizza last night.  I loaded the firebox with fresh charcoal, opened the vents all the way, but the egg only reached 450.  It's possible the thermometer is busted, but the pizza took too long to cook for the temp to have been much 450, so it can't be that far off.  To give you all a better picture of my situation, the gasket is fried in many places, and the egg has developed a significant underbite (nearing 1/2 inch).  Still, I've not noticed any heat escaping the lid or anything.  Any idea what's going on?  Could it be related to the decaying gasket or the underbite?  Do I need to take the dome off and re-assemble the whole thing with a new gasket and proper alignment?  
Southern California

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    You need to leave the dome open longer before you shut it. And put in more lump. The only other think would be to take fire run and box out and make sure no holes are clogged
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Remove firebox and ring and you will likely see piles of ash corresponding with the locations of firebox holes.  These can inhibit air flow.   Sweep em all out. Clear firebox holes and start over.   Also adjust lid and replace gasket.   Im going rutland next week.   

Lastly, get one of those fire starter chimneys and light it and be sure all lump is orange, pour that into a full firebox amd add platesetter, grates stone etc.  

Leave lid open for 20 mins then close with all vents wide open

That should do the trick
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I too would guess air flow. Have you taken the fire bowl out and cleaned around. Also make sure the "opening" of the fire bowl is lined up with the lower vent opening. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    + 1 with @chubbs - air or fuel. More than likely plugged grate or firebox holes.  As to the gasket and dome , neither will effect being able to reach higher temp but the gasket could prevent you from holding lower temps. More air = more heat 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Take the metal top off when cooking high temps, not just opened all the way.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    In addition to what @DMW posted, also reduce the bottom vent restrictions.  Be safe, but if you're in a area where you can fully open the screen, that helps greatly to increase the airflow.  Once at temp, then close it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited January 2016
    It depends how much charcoal you light also, more fuel burning equals more heat. It will get to temp eventually as the lump continues to light more lump, but that takes time.

And as everyone said, airflow! Hate the OEM charcoal grate. Get a HiQue or kick ash basket.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    And just to close the loop-you should give your dome thermo a cal-check.  Take that possible question out of the discussion.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Thanks for all the help.  I should have mentioned that I'm using an upgraded fire grate very similar to a high que in my egg.  So it's very difficult to imagine there were clogs.  I'll check, but just doesn't seem likely.  I've noticed issues getting up to high temps for a while now, and they seem to be getting worse.  The issues are present irrespective of whether or not I have recently cleaned the grate to ensure there aren't any clogs.  But like I said, since the grate is not the standard BGE, it's like a High Que, there are almost never any clogs.  If it's not a clog issue what else could it be?  The whole thing is really weird.
    Southern California
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Air flow and fuel, @Chubbs speaks the truth.   

Everyone experiences the same issues at some time in their egging careers.    Unless you hand stack your lump, it's impossible to replicate lump placement for each cook.   Sometimes the lump is such that small pieces are filling in all the "holes" throughout the stack, limiting airflow.   Sometimes there is plenty of space, allowing for lots of airflow.    In the end, the biggest difference will be "time to get to desired temp".    Leave it long enough and it will eventually take off...when the smaller pieces burn up and unclog the holes.  

Having said that...if you're having issues getting to temp...and if you don't wait long enough before putting in your "guts" (platesetter, woo, grates, proteins), expect to worsen the situation.   Impede the already impeded airflow and it gets even more frustrating.  

Remember...there are no moving parts, no mechanical orifices, no regulators (short of your vents and daisy wheel).   Open the vent, take off the daisy wheel and every egg is essentially the same.  It's all in the lump.
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • You can still get clogs in the holes in the fire box.

Also sometimes the firebox and fire ring get pushed against the egg instead of being centered. That can affect airflow as well.

If you haven't ripped the guts out and shop-vac'd the whole thing recently, it's probably worth it too, along with calibrating your thermometer.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Not just clogs in the grate. Clogs BEHIND the firebox and round holes in the firebox. You have to remove the guts to clean behind the firebox. If you havent done that it would explain why it has gradually gotten worse as more ash buildup occurs between the egg walls and the firebox. 

Little Rock, AR

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Got it. Will take the whole thing apart and shop vac it out. Thanks so much everyone!
    Southern California