Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Value of controller in 1 picture

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I must be missing the big flick here-and the controller will stop snow and have other BGE super-powers??  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited January 2016
    lousubcap said:
    I must be missing the big flick here-and the controller will stop snow and have other BGE super-powers??  ;)

Haha, sorry.  I can monitor and adjust temps without leaving the sofa.  I have a brisket on the XL.

Now I just need to figure out how to probe ot without going in the snow.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Oh, someone will post cooks where the snow is taller than their egg.  Seen it.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Picture's worth a thousand words brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac - any brisket cook is about the most fun you can have with the BGE.  And I hope your controller brings you a great result.  The couch can be quite an addiction-and at the critical point the controller will declare victory and just quit.  But I'm sure you are ready to deal with that.  ;)  
    I wish I was wrestling with a brisket cook tonight-enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Not I.  I live in Florida.  I seem to remember Nature Boy being snowed in on several of his camping trips and showing photos.  Others too, but it's been too long...
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lousubcap said:
    Haha, sorry.  I can monitor and adjust temps without leaving the sofa.  I have a brisket on the XL.
    I don't get it either. Why would you want to do that? I never monitor and I sure don't change temp. I set my DigiQ for the temp I want and it stays there. I have never changed a temp mid-cook, ever. I know, more or less how long the cook will take and I go back outside then. And graphs bore the hell out of me. =)

Sometimes I go out in the snow anyway just because, well, it's snowing!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Brrr!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Carolina Q I don't have those skills yet :)

I have adjusted temps mid cook many times.  Every piece of meat I have cooked behaves differently.  I usually adjust to hit end time windows.

I dream of graphs and data.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yep, every piece does behave differently. I estimate the best I can and go from there. If it finishes at lunch time, I have it for lunch. Dinner? I have dinner. :rofl: Haven't had a butt for breakfast yet, or missed a dinner party... that's what FTC is for. 

My dreams of graphs and data are called nightmares. Ugh!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @Carolina Q I don't have those skills yet :)

I have adjusted temps mid cook many times.  Every piece of meat I have cooked behaves differently.  I usually adjust to hit end time windows.

I dream of graphs and data.
    You need a drone to fly out and put the brisket on the egg and close the lid and you'll have it made. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Yep, every piece does behave differently. I estimate the best I can and go from there. If it finishes at lunch time, I have it for lunch. Dinner? I have dinner. :rofl: Haven't had a butt for breakfast yet, or missed a dinner party... that's what FTC is for. 

My dreams of graphs and data are called nightmares. Ugh!!
    I almost had this brisket for breakfast.  I tried 210 for grins and it just wouldn't finish.  Went 17hrs flat never went over 178, then I decided to bump to 250, it finished 1hr later.

Surprised to have the prime finish at 185, but also surprised a little trimmed 10lb'r took 18hrs.
  • lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac - The cow always wins and I guess it was pay-back for running at 210*F.  Of late, I have been seeing around 0.75 hrs/lb (prime or SRF black) with running at 260-270*F on the dome.  Just did one last week (prime) that took about 1 hr/lb at the above temps.  I am now in the 1 hr/lb crowd and can FTC for the duration if the beef decides to run a little quicker.  
    I'm sure there were some great eats.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I agree @Ozzie_Isaac. Not always necessary, but I have adjusted based upon timing. Some of actually have friends and have these gatherings of afore mentioned people. It's just nice to not make them wait hours to eat or eat leftovers. Just saying. Others I guess, don't. Hmmmm. If I lived alone in the woods without human contact, I would definitely not worry about it. 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Ok, I guess Im now inspired. Ill drag the table out in the 0 degrees and start my butt!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    fishindoc said:
    Ok, I guess Im now inspired. Ill drag the table out in the 0 degrees and start my butt!
    Good choice!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishindoc
    Any thoughts on how much longer it will take a still partially frozen butt??
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    fishindoc said:
    Any thoughts on how much longer it will take a still partially frozen butt??
    Extra hour or so. I've cooked them from completely frozen before. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Wrap it at 150 and it will plow through.
      No idea on the difference in time, except it is more difficult than you might think to thaw meat with warm air as opposed to cold water. 
  • fishindoc
    Well, at least the surface 1/2" is thawed so I can get a rub on there which IMO is close to the most important thing....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    fishindoc said:
    Well, at least the surface 1/2" is thawed so I can get a rub on there which IMO is close to the most important thing....
    Yep, when starting from completely frozen, I pull it after an hour or so to apply rub and insert food probe.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishindoc
    I think my egg actually groaned at me....What??
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    fishindoc said:
    I think my egg actually groaned at me....What??
    They are used to hibernating.  They all get used to it eventually :)