Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garage Cooking??

Its 0 here today and I have the itch to do a pork butt....my green egg is in my garage which stays about 50. Anyone have any clever ideas for exhausting the smoke without opening the garage door all the way??

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,884
    I would get that out of my garage if I were you. Chris C from Dizzy Pig fame burnt his house down egging in his garage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Hence the invention of the bottom screen cover!!!!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Not a good idea to use a BGE in doors. Ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,273
    I would wheel it out and go for it.  The BGE doesn't care about outside temp and with proper anti-freeze level you won't either.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Not in the garage brother.  Unsafe in a number of ways.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP said:
    I would get that out of my garage if I were you. Chris C from Dizzy Pig fame burnt his house down egging in his garage.

As I remember Ron, Chris's fire was caused by an ember that blew into the garage and ignited newspapers. As you probably remember, he and I went through that at the same time. Still good advice though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I've egged in 20 below. No prob.  You use a bit more fuel so be prepared to add if you are going old school low and slow.  If you are going turbo you will be fine if you start with a full fire box.

100% agree with no indoor egging.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,884

As I remember Ron, Chris's fire was caused by an ember that blew into the garage and ignited newspapers. As you probably remember, he and I went through that at the same time. Still good advice though.
    Thanks for the correction, Steve. I really did think he was egging in his garage. Can or will you share your story?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    bgebrent said:
    Not in the garage brother.  Unsafe in a number of ways.

Well, that really depends.  I have plans to put in a reclaimed stove vent with a 600-1200cfm exhaust fan vented to the outside.  It can be done safely. 

You can also use a metal dryer vent hose into a "chimney" similar to an exhaust vent for a gas fireplace.  You don't want an inline fan as that will draw in too much air causing higher temps.   

So, yes, you can do it, you just need to be safe about how you do it. 
  • Little Steven
    edited January 2016
    Mine was caused by a spider or some other insect in the venturi of the side burner of a gasser (eggcessory storage unit). Used the side burner to boil some water during outdoor spring cleanup. I always thought the table with the burner made a great place to store lump under (dumbass emoticon here) to keep it dry. You can guess the rest. Cedar clapboard house. I believe there are pictures on TNW web site of the scorched trusses even though the fire was only connected to the egg via lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Well I should clarify...by garage I mean I set the table in the door opening. I guess I could still have an ember, but Ive never seen embers blowing around during my low and slow cooks. Still unsafe??
  • it's unsafe

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    fishindoc said:
    Well I should clarify...by garage I mean I set the table in the door opening. I guess I could still have an ember, but Ive never seen embers blowing around during my low and slow cooks. Still unsafe??

I'm pretty cautious but low and slow doesn't usually spark except when lighting bad lump. Think about the emissions though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Never seen them blowing around until it's too late.  I would think with the screen, you may be ok, but keep an eye on it.  That is what happened to Chris, ember fell out and blew back into garage.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Other than it being cold out, is there a particular reason to not just wheel the BGE all the way out of the garage and close the door behind you? I agree with those who suggest getting it outside. Considering the cook you wouldn't need to be out there checking all that often as long as you have a remote thermometer of some sort (for which lithium ion batteries are recommended when it's that cold). Good luck.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishindoc
    Yeah,,,I suppose I dont want to notice anything too late....
  • fishindoc
    Im planning on using my DigiQ,,,hmmm, I wonder if the fan will have any trouble blowing in 9 degrees?.....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    fishindoc said:
    Im planning on using my DigiQ,,,hmmm, I wonder if the fan will have any trouble blowing in 9 degrees?.....
    It can happen. Sometimes the condensation will freeze up and not allow the fan to turn. If it does, just bring it inside briefly and take Toothpick or something and force the fan to turn. That will dislodge any ice pellets. I would keep a closer than usual eye on the fan. I've had it happen in warmer weather than this, but it's fairly rare. 
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    You could fire it up and get it cooking then let your significant other check on it while you stay in and keep warm.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• fishindoc
    Oops, should have read 0 degrees
  • Little Steven
    Think you  have had a lot of good advice here. You seem to have your mind up. Bad idea man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Forget the fire, you will asphyxiate yourself.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647

hence the suggestion of a venting system of some sort... 
  • fishindoc
    Im headin outside...at least the sun is out.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,566
    Post a few pics of this frozen tundra cook..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    onedbguru said:

You can vent all you want and still have a low O2 circumstance.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    O?

And you call yourself and Egger?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    You'll only need to be outside 5 times.

1. Load and Light

2. Lock in temp

3. Load Butt

4. Temp check

5. Pull it
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    onedbguru said:

You can vent all you want and still have a low O2 circumstance.
    Correct, in addition to commercial exhaust, you need sufficient fresh air supply. Meadow Creek BBQ Supply in New Holland, PA has an indoor setup with all required exhaust, fresh air supply, and fire suppression system. The room has a concrete floor and stainless steel on the walls. It is an impressive setup, but was pricey.

They had it inspected by local officials and their insurance company.

It is possible, but expensive to setup properly. And I doubt you would get residential homeowners insurance to say it's OK.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishindoc
    Wow that was a cold fire-up...I feel like I just did my "rite of passage" into the True Egg-Head club. Seems like there should be a ceremony