Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of next egg

Options

I am the proud owner of a LBGE, sometimes wish it was a XL, but that will come later. Here is my issue; I have two locations where we live.  A house and a condo.  They are 300 miles apart. We live in the condo (for work) 90% of the time. I am getting ready buy an egg for my balcony as I can no longer be without an egg 90% of the time. I was thinking of a medium but after reading comments here on the mm and small I was wondering if I should change size.  Normally, I am cooking for 2, but do cook for as many as 4-6 on occasion. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on which size would be best as I have no idea what the smaller size eggs will do. Thanks.

Large BGE
Houston, TX

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    Options

Since you've wished for an XL, could you upgrade and relocate the Large to the condo?

Phoenix 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    blasting said:

Since you've wished for an XL, could you upgrade and relocate the Large to the condo?

I like this idea if there is room for the large at the condo.
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    I like the idea as well, just not enough room!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    I also had a LBGE and heard all the talk of the versatility of a smaller unit and decided on getting in on the game.  

In my case I didn't have a choice as to the size (long story short, got lucky and found a MMax being demo'd...only used once...for an attractive price), but would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Love my MMax, use it 10x as much as my LBGE....but believe that the same would be said for a Small or Mini.    So easy to fill, light, get to temp and cook with.    

Best of luck with whatever you decide.  
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have an XL and Medium at my house in CT.  i have a large at my cottage in NH.  I like the mix but if the MM been available I probably would have done that instead of the Medium.  It all depends on where you cook more often and for how many.  It's a small cottage and we are usually only there on weekends and summer vacations so a large with an AR Combo meets that need.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I really love my Medium and if I was lucky enough to have two plots of land on this earth that is what I would have where I'd be cooking for less then 6 on a regular basis. Love my Small too, just get more use out of the Medium. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    My medium is the workhorse for my family of 5. We use the mini a lot too for burgers or when the kids are gone. For what it's worth, I got a medium as my second egg. Then I sold it so I could have two larges. I missed the medium so much, I bought another one. It gets to temp faster than a L too. Good luck with your decision.  
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    In the minority here.  Get a L if you have the space.  Cooking for 4-6 without limitation. Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Can't say enough how much I prefer the medium for regular cooks over my xl, l, s, and mini. 
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I am thinking a medium is coming to my balcony very soon.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Foot print of Large over Medium is not that different and all your add-on stuff will work between Eggs. Just a thought.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I have a medium and it has served me well.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from, I do not like to be without an egg! In my extended family scattered over three states we have mini, small, medium (2) and large (3) so I am pretty familiar with what each can do.

The small is a pretty good 2 to 3 person grill, and I have smoked an 8# pork butt for 11 to 12 hours, that 12th hour is iffy on lump, but I have been able to finish a couple of pork butts.

IMHO the medium is a good size for about up to 4 people and I am fan. Going to 5 or 6 people is possible but if you want to cook a brisket or ribs, I would move up to the large.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I can't comment on the MM since I don't have one but I do love my medium. That would be my vote.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    minimax with woo stone and bge platesetter at the condo,   itll hanlde your needs provided you do some advance planning

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Being a Medium only owner, two regrets I have. 1) All the cool aftermarket accessories are made for Larges first; XL's second; and then perhaps the smaller models 2) Before buying a KAB, I constantly had airflow problems with the Medium, it was very frustrating and many times I wanted to throw the green overpriced flower pot into the neighbors yard. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    i have 2 larges.  i don't use both of them a lot.  it's nice to have another large when I'm smoking on one & grilling on the other.  the xl is too much in my opinion.