Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Trouble

Options
I've been traveling all week and just went to light her.   As I open the lid it is heavier than usual and moves more to the left side as I lift.   I can open it maybe 1/3 and I will have to force it to open it further.   As I lower the lid, it isn't closing 'straight' but does align correctly when fully closed.   

Any my suggestions as to what might have happened and how I can fix it?

Thank you.   
Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Check all the bolts on the hinge, bands and where the springs connect. It sounds like something came loose. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sounds like a spring came unhooked.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    You may need to loosen all the spring related bolts.  Sometimes the lid will then shift on its own back to its normal spot and then retighten everything.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Check these bolts on both sides. They have a history of tightning over time as dome is lifted. Loosen and oil the joint.

xl.jpg 40.5K
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    That bolt that Photo Egg highlighted caused me the same symptoms on my XL. I'd go there first :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have had similar issues in the past, just added a bit of WD40 to the bolts/hinges. Cleared right up... 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The end of my bolt on the one side was hitting my band and tightning itself. I ended up removing it and grinding it down to shorten it.
    Put it back together and oiled the joints and all is good.
    Similar issue with my Small Egg a few weeks ago and just oiled the joints to free it up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Check these bolts on both sides. They have a history of tightning over time as dome is lifted. Loosen and oil the joint.

So how tight or loose should the bolts be?   I looked at all of the bolts at the back and they aren't tight but still very secure.    
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    So how tight or loose should the bolts be?   I looked at all of the bolts at the back and they aren't tight but still very secure.    
    Bolts need to be loose enough to allow the hinge to move freely.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I followed your advice to the letter and XL is back to perfect working order.     Thank you for all of the advice and guidance.   
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I followed your advice to the letter and XL is back to perfect working order.     Thank you for all of the advice and guidance.   
    Great, make sure the end of the bolt circled is not touching the band ring. This is the binding that causes part of the problem over time. 
    Hope you are enjoying your XL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas