Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digique please help

Options
Schoot
Schoot Posts: 13
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure this one has been beat over and over but I'm struggling. I just recently bought a digique, and am using it currently to smoke a brisket. Ive used it on ribs and loved it, but now I cannot get it to maintain my temp, I have it set for 215 and its up to 250. I've closed the damper and the petals are shut all the way and it is still building steam....any suggestions? 

Comments

• Schoot
    Options
    I'm also using royal oak lump if that makes any difference....
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Where do you have the damper on the fan set?  The little lever.  I usually have mine about 1/4 to 1/3 open.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Schoot
    Options
    I actually have it closed right now trying to get it back down but I had it 3/4 should I shut it further?
  • Schoot
    Options
    This is where I had it
  • Fuzzbutt
    Options
    I can't really tell from the picture, but make sure that the expander clip is all the way up and covering the opening. If it's not, then air will get pulled in around it and you'll overshoot. Is your fan running at all? If not, then you have an air leak somewhere. It's either the fan or the metal piece that covers the vent. 
  • Schoot
    Options
    Fans not running and I have the clip in all the way, should the egg door go over the fan piece or just flush to it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Minor point ... push the left end of the retention clip, that shows up in your photo, fully up into the channel.

It's early morning ... did you just start the egg ... then you might have too much lump lit and it'll take a little time to throttle it back.

The most common setting on the dampener is 1/4 to 1/2 closed.  If you need to, then 3/4 closed is no problem.

215* is hard to hold if your egg doesn't have a tight felt line gasket and a tightly sealing cap.  Do you have a gasket on the daisy wheel-to-egg joint?  Do you have a casting imperfection that is holding the flap or the petals slightly open?  If you have a small amount of lump lit and you're above target temp, then you have too much natural air flow ... in order of importance is probably daisy wheel, felt line gasket, and then bottom vent.

@TheRainMan had a cook a few days ago where he had to change out the daisy wheel for his ceramic cap to keep the temps down ... probably not the best choice, but when in a storm ...

And lastly, you might compromise and run at a higher temp than 215* ... not sure a brisket cook needs to be that low.  He uses a different cooker, but Franklin smokes at 275* and folks kind of like his stuff.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Your damper is set to high. For low and slows set your damper to one hash mark. Also, as was previously posted, make sure the expander clip is fully seated.
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Your damper is open way too far. Only to the first mark for up to 250

• Schoot
    Options
    OK I'll try that and the felt is new I can make it maintain 250 and that was my original thought about the charcoal but I lit it at 730 eastern. The clip is now completely in the channel, how about the egg door placement?
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Snug up everything. Only air going in should be via the damper. The petals should be open at the top about 1/8-1/4" for 250. Mine are usually 1/8"
  • Schoot
    Options
    It appears the clip fixed my problem temp is starting to drop
  • Schoot
    Options
    I'll keep y'all updated and thank you on the damper settings I had no idea 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Just keep in mind the controller cannot lower the temp, it can only raise it. Once you over shoot, it can come down, but it's a long process. Good thing is the temp you describe shouldn't mess up the food results, only the timing maybe. Good luck. 
  • Schoot
    Options
    It's never got above 260 so it should be good thank you for your help
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Schoot said:
    Fans not running and I have the clip in all the way, should the egg door go over the fan piece or just flush to it
    I run my Guru with the screen closed and the solid door slid over the adapter ... just like you show in your picture.  The screen yields some additional airflow restriction, but that's no problem.

Look at the first picture in this thread ( http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174674/jeepster-digiq-round-ii/p1 ) ... see the paper towel stuffed in the back side of the solid door?  That's one area that does leak.  Normally not a problem, but that egg has a poor felt line seal and needed the extra help.  My final answer was to use a bamboo skewer shaped to hold the door tighter.

Oh yes, I have a skewer on the left side also ... belts and suspenders!

• Schoot
    Options
    That's awesome I'll try that right now
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Lots of advice this morning ... just don't mix and match.  The key is you have too much air flow ... period!

@fishindoc runs his Guru with the top vent open more than I do and the bottom dampener closed more than I do.  No problem ... he's controlling the air flow via the bottom vent system.  I control airflow via the top vent system.  Find what works for you ... don't combine his top vent settings with my bottom vent settings or you'll have cinder brisket.

One setting that you do want to pay attention to is the percent that the fan runs ... 20 to 30% seems to work best.  If it runs less than that, then it's hard for the egg to dampen a flare up of the fire ... lump settles, you open the lid, etc..

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    score one for the luddites on the forum!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    Options
    score one for the luddites on the forum!
    Hmm? You mean to say if you have a question about the proper operation of your car, you have proof that it is a stupid unnecessary machine? A bit of a stretch. 
  • fishindoc
    Options
    What is a luddite?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Someone afraid of technology as I remember. Believe it was started in the UK over a weaving machine.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @pgprescotti mean to say that powered draft units are proposed often as a solution for temp control.

this is an example (there have been many over the years) where a device is no guarantee.

not a stretch, just an observation. one tickmark in the 'sh!t happens with a controller too' column

@fishindoc the luddites are a... well, i tried to post a link to their website, but can't seem to find one
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jeepster47
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @fishindoc ... A luddite is someone who can't accept and/or work machinery (technology), so they claim superiority by continuing to operate in the old ways.  Or something close to that.  @Darby_Crenshaw is just lightly trolling through the forum this morning.

• pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescotti mean to say that powered draft units are proposed often as a solution for temp control.

this is an example (there have been many over the years) where a device is no guarantee.

not a stretch, just an observation. one tickmark in the 'sh!t happens with a controller too' column

@fishindoc the luddites are a... well, i tried to post a link to their website, but can't seem to find one
    As opposed to the fire going out and ruining the cook all together. Good comparison. A guy,admittedly not 100% confident about the usage of a new device having an easily correctable issue. Dead horse beaten! Yep, 100000 to 1 good to bad experiences is a great indicator of failure. Don't want em, don't get em. Not a very good argument IMO. 
  • fishindoc
    Options
    All I can say is, I have fun with it and to me, this hobby is fun
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    A lot of people know a lot more than they understand....Crenshaw is not one of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I had this very problem whem i first got the digiq.  The fix was snugging up the intake seal below, slighly bending the adapter to match contour of the egg base, and gasket replacement alomg with spring band adjustment,    there were actual gaps between lid and base which allowed for a lot of air and smoke flow.   Once those issues were fixed, temp maintenance was easy

One other trick i learned alomg the way: if you are doing low and slow cook, 210-250F, always set your target temp on controller 30 degrees under where you want it.  Almost every time, the target temp gets exceeded by too much fuel ignition amd it is more difficult to ramp temp down than to ramp temp up.   So, once your egg gets near the target temp minus 30 degrees, you will likely overshoot it and at that point you can gradually bump it up 5-10 degrees at a ti.e to get to your stabilized temp.   This method has work for me every time is used it.  Be sure to leave yourself a lot of time.