Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Powerball

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
So lets say you won.  How would you go about collecting the ticket and be safe at the same time?
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Go to your lawyer first, open a trust, have it collected in trust.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Go to your lawyer first, open a trust, have it collected in trust.
    ...while I'm doing naked cartwheels in front of the lotto office. 
  • MaC122
    Options
    who could you trust?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Driving my company vehicle into the Ohio and using Uber to go get it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I would be so disappointed if we won it now.  Told folks at work to watch on Monday for my entrance.  If I walked in backwards with my pants down, that was the signal that I had won and they could kiss my a$$ good bye.  Now that I'm retired, all the fun would be gone.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I would be so disappointed if we won it now.  Told folks at work to watch on Monday for my entrance.  If I walked in backwards with my pants down, that was the signal that I had won and they could kiss my a$$ good bye.  Now that I'm retired, all the fun would be gone.
    Split it with me and you and I can do that together at my office...
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MaC122
    Options
    ill be more specific. I won.....holy ****! I have this ticket that needs to get to the state lottery office. I could drive there. I could get a limo. Would you guys get some sort of security?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Hire tax attorneys, quit job in poor fashion 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'd drive.  Only normal personal security.  My accountant and attorney to meet me there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Go to the bank on Monday ... open a safe deposit box ... put ticket in box ... lock it away.  Go to lawyer's office ... set up new will and financial plan.  You're rich, now comes the task of trying to keep as much as possible out of the government's hands.  Hire good financial lawyers and listen to them.

Think seriously about the possibility that this much money will screw up your kids, your grand kids and your great-grand kids.  Make a concerted effort to address the possibility.

The odds of winning the lottery and not going broke within the next decade is not that great.  All of us have a comfort zone, and when pushed outside of that zone, we seem to work extremely hard to get back in.  In the case of lottery winners, they seem to be very good at getting back to zero.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited January 2016
    Options
    $700,000,000 +.

Even losing half for taxes and then half again on stupid stuff, that is a ton of money to blow to end up at zero. 

I'd like to give it a try. 

I just want enough to pay off the mortgage and life the life I have now, but not have to work. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Sea2Ski ... only 700,000,000?  Have you been sleeping this afternoon? It's now over $900,000,000.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I asked my boss this morning what he would do if he won ... he told me, 'first I divorce my wife, then I go collect my money' ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yep.  Setup a trust, live off the interest, and generations are set from here to eternity.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    First thing I am going to do is buy each of you a new egg of your choice.  
    Then I will need to win the lottery to keep grilling. (MEDIUM, by the way)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    No winner apparently 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Next pot $1,300,000,000+
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
     I'd build my dream house with an amazing outdoor kitchen. The rest would go to more Eggs and accessories. My XL takes all my money now, I don't think that would change.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Hire a cheap attorney, they'll only want (steal) 25% of the winnings vs the normal 33%.
  • MaC122
    Options
    really...no winner...that cant be right.....btw I had no numbers. absolutely no numbers hit. wow  
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Hmmm ... the missus bought one ticket ... she's a math major who's taught probability and statistics and should know better.  She let the machine pick the numbers ... it guessed the power ball number correctly and doubled her money.  Now I'm afraid ... really afraid ... might have to hide her car keys.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I would contribute it all to Hillary's campaign.... "Hillary for 2016"..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Can one choose to remain private in these situations?  Surely, that is an option. 

Dave - Austin, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

@Terrebandit   In some states yes, in others no. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My neighbors growing up won the lottery. (My sisters best friend family) 90 million after taxes. They were divorced 6 months later
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Schoot
    Schoot Posts: 13
    Options
    My question is how do you manage it banks are only secured up to million....
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I asked my boss this morning what he would do if he won ... he told me, 'first I divorce my wife, then I go collect my money' ...
    Thats an easy court win for his would be ex wife if he did that. There is already legal precedent from similar cases. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math ;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math ;)
    I always thought it was a tax on the dumb, but that works too.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker