Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggHatter wanted chili...

Options
Morning All:

We have finally had some "not too hot" days here in Florida (which is fantastic when your A/C unit isn't working) so Kathy wanted some chili...my schedule today allowed me to get it started before heading to the courthouse for a hearing...start by putting a spoonful of bacon grease in the dutch oven...

Once that gets hot in went the 3.5 pounds of hanging tender (hanger steaks also) cubed...I prefer "chunks" of meat to ground beef...also used DP Game On while browning the meat chunks...

Most everything is in the pot (including tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon & cumin)...set up the Egg to hold 260 to 270 and headed downtown...

Got home about 3 hours later and added the beans (yes, we like beans in our chili)...then let it continue getting happy for another couple hours until Kathy got home...ready to serve...

My bowl...it was gooooooood...

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great!  I like beans in my chili as well!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Looks great Jay! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm a bean in my chili guy too. Looks tasty and perfect for today's weather here in Georgia. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks great, Jay! I just finished a bowl of red here. No beans, of course... not this time anyway, But sometimes yes, sometimes no. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Awesome
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow, love the steak chunks.  Nice work brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Looks like my next purchase must be a dutch oven.  With a high of 10 degrees on Sunday, chilli sounds really good.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I'm usually a ground beef guy, but next time I'm going chunks.  Serve it over a lump of rice and smothered with shredded cheddar and diced onion...mmmm...boy oh boy!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks good. With or without the lid whole time? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pinballLooking
    Options

That looks really good. Now I need to put another thing on my want list a Dutch oven.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

That looks really good. Now I need to put another thing on my want list a Dutch oven.

Be careful what you ask for, my wife was disappointed when I gave her a Dutch oven....
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    That looks great. How did the meat chunks turn out? Were they tender? That would be my only concern with using cubed steak. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude.
    Seriously.
    Dude.
    Awesome!

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning All:

Thanks everyone -- The lid was off the DO the entire cook...the steak chunks were VERY tender and falling apart at the end of the approximately 8 hours of cooking (think braising?) in the sauce...I used to use chuck roasts to cut up, but since finding the hanger steaks I like them much better (only place I have been able to find them though are at Restaurant Depot).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Yes!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You made chili out of hangar steak?  That's balls. 
    NOLA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks excellent!! I have some brisket I need to turn into chili today

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum