Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought used Large BGE.

Options

A few weeks ago I bought a large BGE plate setter stand. I have been using it a lot so far.

One thing that surprised me was how much I still use my old propane grill. I use it even more now that I have a BGE.

Here is a picture of it in action.

Photo Collage Maker_xpuVeP.jpg

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    That's an expensive chimney starter you got there!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Wlcome! Where's the picture of all your egg tools in the gasser  =)
    canuckland
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited January 2016
    Options

The funny thing is that grill over 10 years and never used the side burner once until I got a BGE.

I bought a weed propane burner to start the fire but this is simpler than that to start a quick fire.

Here it is after I cleaned it up some.

• pinballLooking
    Options

Here is it is in action with ist's iGrill 2
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  That's a goodlooking used egg. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pinballLooking
    Options

Thanks.

I added the smokeware cap so I could cook in the hard rain this winter.

• pinballLooking
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wlcome! Where's the picture of all your egg tools in the gasser  =)

Yes I store the chimney and wood chips in the old grills cabinet. It is still being used in some.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have had my Egg for ~4 months and I cooked on my Gas Grill last night for the 2nd time.  I had never used my sideburner either until I bought a Chimney Starter for my old stickburner.  I actually just went back to this method for lighting my chimney, by far the most reliable to get a stack of coals roaring in no time.

I used to keep (3) propane tanks in some stage of full/ empty (lets be honest mostly empty) now its been 6 months since I filled one.

No way I will quit having gas around though- last night from light to eating sliders was faster than adding lump, getting it lit, getting temp.  It will still have its place but its going to last forever with as little use as it will get.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    " It will still have its place but its going to last forever with as little use as it will get. "

I thought I might be the only one who thinks like this.  I put some money into refurbishing my gas grill a couple of years ago and figured that with the low amount of use it gets it should last me another 20 years even though it was already 10 years old. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Good call on the weed burner. Excellent tool
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Nice.  I think buying used can be a great deal.  It takes these things a million years to break significantly, the warranty isn't as important as some people would make it out to be IMHO.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome and post your cooks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options

The funny thing is that grill over 10 years and never used the side burner once until I got a BGE.

Same here, lol. Welcome to the club, prepare to be amazed.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Nice.  I think buying used can be a great deal.  It takes these things a million years to break significantly, the warranty isn't as important as some people would make it out to be IMHO.
    At the right price you are 100% correct....... warranty is some what over rated.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• pinballLooking
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ham slow cooked 5 hours smoked apple wood.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I paid $400 for it. It came with palate setter, charcoal starter cover and a so so stand.

He said the thermometer needed replaced it just needed calibrated.  I have cooked lots of things and I am really enjoying it so far. Here are a few of the things I have cooked so far. The pork roast top left was cooked 10 hours straight. It just fell off the bone.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I don't happen to agree with those who say buying used without a warranty is cool. Over the last 15 years of having 4 eggs and getting warranty replacements of several fire boxes and fire rings I know that I'm way ahead money wise. I mean REALLY WAY AHEAD! Good luck to you on trying to beat the odds, but honestly - start saving up for the costly replacement pieces.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pinballLooking
    edited January 2016
    Options

@RRP

I have a gasket I bought from you to install on mine. I just need to stop using it long enough to put it on.=)

I had never cooked on one before and never tasted anything cooked on one before so buying this.  Used was a great way for me to try it out. I am happy with my purchase.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

@RRP

I have a gasket I bought from you to install on mine. I just need to stop using it long enough to put it on.=)

I had never cooked on one before and never tasted anything cooked on one before so buying this.  Used was a great way for me to try it out. I am happy with my purchase.

Cool! At least you got off on a long journey on your gasket! Good luck all the way around! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you got a good deal and should have many good cooks ahead of you.  IMHO buying a used egg is kinda like deciding if a car is worth having full coverage or just liability ins. If you can afford to eat the cost if something happens then your all good and in your case I would say all is good.  

Keep the cooks and pics a coming!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Looks like you got a very good deal.  I don't know about warranty issues as I haven't had any in the 5 years I've owned my Egg. How old is the Egg? The firebox was redesigned some time back because the previous design was prone to cracking due to expansion of the ceramics while hot. The redesign units are basically pre broken. They call them a two piece design but in actuality there the one firebox with a cut vertically down the firebox. This allows the firebox to expand and contract without putting stress on the wall of the firebox. The fire ring is still one piece. Even though it would break, there are many who kept trucking right along with a broken firebox. I think you'll be ahead of the game in the end.  
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Welcome! You're putting out some good eats over there :)

I wouldn't be quick to discount the warranty. Some have not made a claim in many many years of ownership, while others (myself included) have made warranty claims after a few. My LBGE base cracked last year, and was replaced under warranty with little fuss.

At the price you paid, you could probably pay for any cracked parts and still be under the cost of a new egg. And I hear used eggs cook just as well as new ones (which are "used" after the first cook anyways).

Now when should I come over?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.