Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Appetizer That You Will Ever Eat.

Comments

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    SGH, Do you need to use the Pyrex dish or would RRP's "meatloaf basket" work too?

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    TCT said:
    SGH, Do you need to use the Pyrex dish or would RRP's "meatloaf basket" work too?
    Brother I'm not sure what the meatloaf basket is. But on that note, a solid dish is preferred. Examples- Pyrex, cast iron, etc, etc. The key to this being so good is it soaking in the grease. That's why I don't recommend forming a loaf and sitting it on the grid without a pan. Use a solid pan of some sort for optimum results my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Pork fat, it's all about the pork fat, right Scottie?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    SGH said:
    Zmokin said:
    our evil step-mom would put them in almost everything she made.
    You know, don't much anger or make me mad. But fukking with my food will set me off every time. I would have broke her from that $hit. Whatever it took. Especially if she was doing it just for meanness. 
    Uh, yeah, I'm not sure how well that works for a little kid dealing with a mom.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Pulled the trigger, DAMN.....
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    Pulled the trigger, DAMN.....
    Looks awesome brother magic. Glad that you enjoyed it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    SGH, no tater tot recipe?  Thought you were going to share brother?

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    fergi said:

Thanks SGH, a big thumbs up for the wife and me!

I think this has been the best looking version.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • mgillia

Looks great, but a tease without the recipe brother.

• mgillia

Wait a minute, that's not a tater tot.  Geesh!

• Thatgrimguy
    mgillia said:

Wait a minute, that's not a tater tot.  Geesh!

He's waiting to make sure he gets all the goodness out of this thread before dropping that badassery on us.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • mgillia
    Right Arm!

• SGH
    He's waiting to make sure he gets all the goodness out of this thread before dropping that badassery on us.
    I'm going to post it before the weekend is out. I shot the pics for one the other night. However I'm experimenting with another one and want to get it just right before I post it. Want to offer two ways of doing them that are equally good. I have been real busy as of late fellows. Been having to run back and forth to Auburn about three times a week and it's a 5 hour ride one way. Don't give up on me though. It's coming. 

Status- Standing by.

• mgillia
    10-4 SGH.  Standing by.  Thanks brother!

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Well looks like my healthy 2016 will just have to wait. I have some hot and mild deer sausage at home just looking for some usage. This seems perfect.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I just read through 5 1/2 pages of this thread looking for the Tater Tot Casserole recipe. LOL

Please post it, I need a good recipe for Tater Tots. 

Will definitely be trying the appetizer soon. Have a brisket on that will need to eaten up first though.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2016
    Okay, you guys are killing me here.  7 pages on Jimmy Dean sausage and Ritz crackers?  You've broke me down.  I'm making it this weekend...  :smiley:

So, as I'm not having a party and don't have a true opportunity for appetizers, what has been everyone's favorite way of serving it?

Should I slice and then grill the slices?   Make it an egg sandwich?
    Just cube and have with a pile of eggs?
    Or as described, on a plate with toothpicks for all to enjoy as a snack?

I think SWMBO'd would really like this, as it fits into the comfort food category she embraces (more than my smoked meats, unfortunately). 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    @KiterTodd
    Simply make the loaf in a pan as described and serve it sliced like a traditional meatloaf. More often than not, when making it for myself I just slice it.  

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    fergi said:

Thanks SGH, a big thumbs up for the wife and me!

I think this has been the best looking version.
    Agree. You could put these on toothpics for a party
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Making this as one of our apps for our Wildcard weekend party tomorrow.
    Edina, MN

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay, you guys are killing me here.  7 pages on Jimmy Dean sausage and Ritz crackers?  You've broke me down.  I'm making it this weekend...  :smiley:

So, as I'm not having a party and don't have a true opportunity for appetizers, what has been everyone's favorite way of serving it?

Should I slice and then grill the slices?   Make it an egg sandwich?
    Just cube and have with a pile of eggs?
    Or as described, on a plate with toothpicks for all to enjoy as a snack?

I think SWMBO'd would really like this, as it fits into the comfort food category she embraces (more than my smoked meats, unfortunately). 
    It was just me eating it and occasionally my wife would have some so;
    1. just sliced and snacked on it.
    2. great nacho topping
    3. great in breakfast burritos - just added eggs, cheese and salsa.
    I'm sure it would be good any other way also.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    After the initial appetizer, I made sandwiches with what was leftover, for my lunches this last week.  Tossed a hatch chili on it also!  =)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Durangler said:
    After the initial appetizer, I made sandwiches with what was leftover, for my lunches this last week.  Tossed a hatch chili on it also!  =)
    That sounds like an awesome lunch for sure!  Nice repurpose.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Sadly, still no Tots.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    I prepped a @fergi version. Not to be cooked till Monday morning. Bringing it to work.

And had some leftover... So I made me a mini loaf.

I added some Vidalia onions this time. And I finished it under the broiler in my oven to brown the top.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    That didn't take long... 

And poof. Gone
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Here is my addition to the thread- it was delicious!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the inspiration! I just started a thread about this cook & using a controller for it.

I substituted bread crumbs for Ritz, ground beef for hot sausage (wife is sensitive to spicy stuff), and a red shepherd pepper for the bell pepper. Also added around 2-3 tsp of rub to the mix.

My sous-chef today:

He's not very helpful, but at least he doesn't eat much.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Alright, I'm finally gonna give it a shot, sort of. Two packs of homemade sausage from a couple wild pigs with ritz and cheese. NO peppers and didnt have onions. Sprinkled a little honey hog on top. Covered with plastic wrap ready to cook tomorrow. 

Little Rock, AR