Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - First Post (Kick Ash question)

Options
I have learned a ton from reading the experts on this site - so appreciative. I traded up from my Weber smoker to an XL BGE and am experimenting with different settings.

My question: Those of you who are using a Kick Ash basket - do you burn with the coal grate in the egg, or remove it. My first cooks on low and slow without the steel grate seemed difficult to maintain a 225 degree heat. Could that be because there is too much air with using the basket alone?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I leave the fire grate in with the KAB
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    ^^^^^^+1
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Must people leave the grate out as I do. You are going to get both answers.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    ^^^^^^+1
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • TheRainMan
    Options
    well there you go...

nobody has noticed any correlation between increased airflow and higher temps?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    well there you go...

nobody has noticed any correlation between increased airflow and higher temps?
    I noticed the airflow increase with my vent settings. The reason why I keep the fire grate in my large. Anymore airflow without the grate would change around the vent settings I know 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mine flows considerably more air with both the fire grate and the basket in place.  The only reason I would remove my grate is to do a hot sear. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    XL = grate in
    L = your choice
    M and smaller = no grate
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TheRainMan
    Options
    XL = grate in
    L = your choice
    M and smaller = no grate
    Ozzie, sounds like you have thought this out - what is your thinking behind this?
  • Bulitt
    Bulitt Posts: 17
    Options
    I have a large and leave the grate out.  Works great!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    So, the basket is in the fire box, and the lump is down there too.  Not on top of the grate?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TheRainMan
    Options
    Wow @Botch - that was a lot of work - thanks! Helpful.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Botch- great post above...and not even considering the air holes in the fire box ;)
    @TheRainMan - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And the above can be expected for most answers to questions here-many ways to get to the promised land.  Pick one and see how it goes-then adapt as you eggsperiment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Botch ... terribly disappointed that you didn't cover the increase in volume of the incoming air as it heats up - about 20% increase per 100 degrees - and the additional gas as a result of combustion.  That's the real secret to understanding how to adjusting both the top and the bottom vents ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Botch  Nice discussion.  On the large BGE, the OEM fire grates are not all the same. Some of us have the older ceramic fire grates.  They have the same size holes, but only half the number the cast iron ones have.  So the air flow openings are less, but not enough to change your conclusion.

You demonstrate that the fire grate should not be the controlling the air flow, so removing it or leaving it in should not impact air flow. You conclude to remove it to aide in the cleaning functionality of the KAB.  I reach a different decision - leave it in.  I leave it in because:
    • Without the grate, small unburnt pieces of lump fall into the ash pit and never get burnt - a waste of potential BTUs and $.
    • The fire grate does radiate heat back up towards the food, making it more efficient.
    • The fire grate does radiate heat back up away from the bottom of the egg, resulting in less stress on the bottom shell of the egg (important to those of us without warranty protection for a cracked egg).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I haven't gotten my KAB for my XL yet, but I have noticed that my Xl seems to get to temp and hold temp better with the SmokeWare Cap.  I used New Years Eve and it got to temp faster and stabilized faster.  Now I haven't used it again yet, so I am hoping that this continues.  I am starting to rethink the KAB, but I am mostly getting it to help with cleaning out my XL.

What about the high Que Grate for the BGE, is it worth it in setting better air flow?  Found this on Amazon.  Kind of pricey.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-X-Large/dp/B00J95T6SO/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452183746&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=high+que+grate+bge+xl
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    @Ladeback69   Go back to review @Botch discussion of airflow.  Unless you are getting blocked air holes, the grate is not the controlling restriction.  Putting a more open grate on the inside will not significantly change airflow.  The bottom or top vents control. Using a KAB does help to reduce grate holes from getting blocked.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Caymanite
    Options
    I just used the KAB for the first time for a low and slow, with the fire grate removed, and I burned way more lump than I usually do. Wondering if this is because of the KAB or because I removed the fire grate. Will try the next cook with the grate in to see if makes a difference.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Caymanite said:
    I just used the KAB for the first time for a low and slow, with the fire grate removed, and I burned way more lump than I usually do. Wondering if this is because of the KAB or because I removed the fire grate. Will try the next cook with the grate in to see if makes a difference.
    First, note that the KAB sits apart from the inner wall a bit.  Even though the amount of pre-burn lump may appear to be the same as usual, it probably isn't.
    KAB users aren't beginning with the same amount of lump - if judging solely by vertical fill.
    (Or, as @JohnInCarolina might put it, 'KAB users aren't cookin' with a full load'.)

Also, as others have mentioned, more non-ash debris makes it to the base when using the KAB sans OE grate.  Maybe that adds to the impression that more is "burned".

If you accept the bottleneck theory as detailed by @Botch and others, then that is all that's left.

Or so it seems to me.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    @Caymanite   Are sure it really was "way more lump than I usually do"?  How much unburnt lump ended up in the ash pit?  See @Sardonicus comment about appearance.  Some more heat is lost through the bottom without the grate in place. It has been colder the past few days down here than it has been in a long time - it will require a larger fire to maintain temps.  I'm guessing a combination of all things make it seem like 'a lot'. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Sardonicus
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Caymanite   . . .
      Some more heat is lost through the bottom without the grate in place. . . 
    Hmmm . . .
    This is not the first time that you (and others) have mentioned heat transfer through the base without the OE grate in place.
    You have me wondering - Will use of this or other after market grates nullify the BGE warranty we paid for?

IF so, will BGE sacrifice the goodwill it has earned and use that as an out?

Not worried,
     . . . necessarily.
     :s  :|

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Botch said:
    Okay, it's time.  Viewer discretion is advised:

A single hole in the OEM grate for the Large is approximately 0.6" in diameter, or 0.3" radius (I'm using decimal inches because it makes the math simpler, and Because I Can!).  
    Area of a single hole = pi * r^2 = 3.1415 * 0.3^2 = 0.2827 sq. inches.

There are 34 holes drilled in the Large OEM grate:
    0.2827 * 34 = 9.61 sq. inches of opening for air to flow through.

Now, I regulate my low-und-slow temps with the bottom vent.  It's normally between a credit-card and 1/16" open, but last weekend when I smoked a brisket overnight at 13º F, I had to open it to 1/8", or 0.125"; that's worst-case so I'll use that.  The vent in my Large has a screen, and a strip of metal dividing the upper and lower openings, which are 1" long each.  So, the total area for air to flow through is:
    1.0 * 0.125 * 2 = 0.25 sq. inches.

So, let's step back and look at this.  It can be helpful to view airflow through the Egg like water through a hose: 

Hose:  water that flows out of the faucet, has to flow through the hose, and has to flow through the spray nozzle, at equal rates.  You can restrict the flow by shutting the faucet, or kinking the hose, or closing down the nozzle; whichever has the smallest opening controls the flow.

Same thing with the Egg:  air that flows through the bottom vent, also has to flow through the OEM grate, and then the KAB if you have one, and then finally through the Daisy Wheel; whichever has the smallest opening controls the flow.

The bottom vent on my Large has a 0.25 sq in area, while the OEM grate has 9.61 sq. in. of area, or 3,845% more area!!  So, finally, my point is (the crowd roars!) I can't believe that having the OEM plate in, or out, makes a damn bit of difference; the bottom or top vent control the airflow, not the OEM grate.  That's my final answer and I'm standing by it.

EXTRA CREDIT:  But wait, there's more!  Above, I stated:  
    ...whichever has the smallest opening controls the flow.
    That isn't exactly true!  Matter exists in three forms: solids, liquids, and gases (we'll ignore plasmas because physicists/astronomers are geeks).  Liquids and gases are both fluids, with one important difference: liquids are incompressible fluids, while gases are compressible fluids.  My above statement is absolutely true for liquids (smallest opening controls the flow) but gases can be tricked, compressed, and a bunch of more things happen, higher math than I can remember how to do (googlez "how a scramjet works" if you're interested).  
    At the tiny amounts of airflow to cook a briskie at 250, the above paragraph can probably be ignored.   :)

THE FINAL ANSWER:
    The whole idea of the Kick Ash Basket is to remove partially-burned lump, to both shake off the ash, and to clean out the bottom bowl easily; if the OEM grate is sitting there that gets in the way.  Take it out!  

(I promise I won't do this again, sorry!)   =)

Totally agree, I just don't understand why we over think this air in and out theory! It takes just a little air flow to keep 225-250.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    @Caymanite   . . .
      Some more heat is lost through the bottom without the grate in place. . . 
    Hmmm . . .
    This is not the first time that you (and others) have mentioned heat transfer through the base without the OE grate in place.
    You have me wondering - Will use of this or other after market grates nullify the BGE warranty we paid for?

IF so, will BGE sacrifice the goodwill it has earned and use that as an out?

Not worried,
     . . . necessarily.
     :s  :|

How would they know if you had a non OE grate? I have had several items replaced under warranty and all I have had to do is produce a picture of the cracked, fire box, fire ring and Mini base. I have never been asked if I had any non OE equipment. In 9 years of Egging I have never had any problems with warranty......................... :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Sardonicus
    Options

Okay, Jupiter_Jim
    Thanks loads.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    @Botch ... terribly disappointed that you didn't cover the increase in volume of the incoming air as it heats up - about 20% increase per 100 degrees - and the additional gas as a result of combustion.  That's the real secret to understanding how to adjusting both the top and the bottom vents ...
    Hmmm.  You're right.  
    I'll need to think about this overnight, but for now my defense is: most of the gas heating, and all of the combustion, happens within the lump, way upstream of the bottom vent, OEM plate, and KAB.  Stay tuned.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited January 2016
    Options

You conclude to remove it to aide in the cleaning functionality of the KAB.  I reach a different decision - leave it in.  I leave it in because:
    • Without the grate, small unburnt pieces of lump fall into the ash pit and never get burnt - a waste of potential BTUs and $.
    • The fire grate does radiate heat back up towards the food, making it more efficient.
    • The fire grate does radiate heat back up away from the bottom of the egg, resulting in less stress on the bottom shell of the egg (important to those of us without warranty protection for a cracked egg).

Point One:  At medium or high temps, those small pieces DO burn, sitting on the bottom of the Egg; plus, after a long low-und-slow, I pull those small lumps out of the cold ash and throw them into the next burn.  Tie.

Point Two:  The metal OEM plate, yes, would reflect radiant heat back into the firebox.  Boynton 1, Botch 0

Point Three:  True, the OEM plate would keep the bottom of the Egg cooler from radiant heat, along with blocking some of the smaller lump from falling to the bottom (see Point One above).  Boynton 1, Botch 0

Argh.  I don't wanna play anymore.   :s   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a KAB for the XL & MM. I removed the grate in both. Air flow is better, heats faster, use about the same amount of lump, low and slows are no problem, and it is easier to clean. Glad I bought them.
    Having had a fire grate explode previously inside my XL egg, and doing damage to the dome, PS and internal pieces, I no longer use the grates. After the warranty replacement on the XL, I purchased the Basket for that reason. Whenever I buy a BGE, it gets a KAB prior to use. Grates are pulled. Been using the KAB for while, no issues on stress in the bottom of the BGE, whatsoever. When home, the eggs are used everyday. I have done over 100 cooks, easily, no problem. Wish I had the KAB since day one. Pull the grate.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    That was a very interesting post... thanks.. Just for laughs Density Altitude must play in her someplace LOL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    From the KAB site, XL.
    They still recommend keeping the OEM grate in place on the XL.
    I know some on this forum remove it with no issues.
    I think it was mainly due to warping as the XL span is much larger than the Large Egg. But the newer KAB does use heavier gauge wire. 

• Extra-Large Big Green Egg Ceramic Grill and Smoker.
    • 17" Bottom Dia., 18.8" Top Dia. and 3.88" Depth
    • Overall height is 5.38" including handles.
    • Now with larger gauge wire similar to the other baskets
    • We still recommend using with your grill's lower charcoal grate
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas