Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon recommendations?

Options
Any recommendations on methods of cooking salmon?  Thx
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I'll be watching this...I've had the same question.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    1) soak a cedar wood salmon plank for 1 hr
    2) rub some olive oil on both sides of the salmon
    3) Season with DP Raging River
    4) optionally drizzle honey on the filet before cooking
    5) cook on the plank for 20-25 minutes
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    What temperature and if no plank, what is the method?  thx

• clintmiller
    Options
    I keep it simple:
    1. Cut salmon into serving-sized slices.
    2. Brush both sides of salmon with olive oil.
    3. Put rub on meat side. (S&P is fine. Or DP Raging River. Or Chupacabra. Or a mix of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and paprika. Or whatever. Don't stress over the rub.)
    4. Put fish on grill over direct heat (not raised grid) at about 400 degrees. Fish goes on meat side down over hottest part of grill.
    5. After 5 minutes, flip fish to skin side down.
    6. Let cook until the white gunk starts oozing out of the fish (probably 3-4  minutes or so, maybe more, maybe less).
    7. Pull and enjoy.
    The most important thing is not overcooking it. If you don't do that, it will taste awesome.
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    I would get a plank - they are worth it!
    I don't like to flip my fish.  they cook fine for me just leaving skin side down.

without plank - I have had good luck with:

1. raised grid @ 350
    2. put fish on foil, metal fish plate, veggie rack with holes, you get the picture
    3. rub both sides with oil
    4. I like DP Raging River, my fav is williams & Sonoma Potlatch seasoning
    5. slice Lemon thin and place all over the top
    6. put Capers on all around
    7. Cook for 20-25 mins or so until you start to see the white stuff or I use fork to when it pulls apart easy.
    The kids fav is when I just use Maple sugar (generously) on top - let it sit for 10 mins and sprinkle more on about 5 mins before I pull the fish

Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Thx!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I remove the skin with a fillet knife prior to cooking. The rest, ditto. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2016
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    What temperature and if no plank, what is the method?  thx
    I routinely make salmon with no plank, it's always awesome, butt simple, and I get rave reviews.  It's better than anything I get in a restaurant.

-Buy a whole filet of salmon (basically, one piece big enough for your crew, not sectioned).  The reason is you can better control the done-ness of the center part of the flesh since you don't have so many edges.
    -Season the salmon how ever you like it.   I tend to go with garlic, olive oil, S&P and then a greek seasoning. Maybe a splash of white wine.  Right before grilling I'll squeeze some lemon on it if it has even a hint of a not so fresh smell.
    -I cook salmon raised direct, but you can do it unraised if your coals aren't too hot and you are paying attention.
    -Spray the grates with some oil and place the salmon on flesh side down.  Once it is down wait a few seconds and give it a quick shimmy to break the initial surface stickage to the grates.  Now don't touch it.  Close the egg.  (the thick flat cast-iron grates are better, but it'll work on the stock stainless)
    -You are cooking the surface of the salmon not for done-ness, but for color.  How brown do you want it?  Basically, it's here for a couple minutes at most to get some char on the top.  Don't touch it.  Don't rotate it.  (A good indicator is to watch the thick cut end of the salmon.  You should see the cooked flesh go up about halfway and that's a good point to flip.  The center won't be cooked that far inside.)
    -Now get your biggest spatula, or two, and you are going to flip it in one motion so that it is skin side down.  I have usually already oiled the skin but if not, give it a spray or rub at this point.  Flip it, shut the grill.
    -The top of your fish should look great now and the skin will protect the flesh on the bottom side from getting burnt.  You can leave it here (no flipping) until it is cooked how you like it.  I tend to like MR salmon.  When you think you are getting done you can make a small cut with a fork to see how the salmon is cooking.   This is also a good point if you want to hit the salmon with some more lemon  or butter.  I find it usually doesn't need either but I'll put lemon if it wasn't fresh.

You can then take it off the grill and pretty much serve immediately. By the time everybody sits down you are good to go.  The meat will slide off the skin as you slice it.  Seafood will absorb the flavor of your lump or a little wood in a very short cook.

This comes out good on any grill.  The trick is only flipping it once.  It's fragile meat so if you get greedy it'll fall apart on you.  Take if off the grill gently also...lift and slide your platter right under to catch it.

Enjoy!!  :plus_one:

Here's one I made for New Years.  I usually don't buy one this big, but it did the trick on my large. 

Not a good picture of the flip (greenish from camera flash) but I had a party to throw.  You get the idea...

I did a search to see if I had any other pictures and I found this one I made on top of a rack of ribs.  :lol: I think I was having the fish as an appetizer since it'd cook so much quicker than the ribs...

and after the flip in what was an indirect cook, still looks good.

The seasoning is up to you.  Go as heavy as you like, or keep it real light with some olive oil, lemon/wine and S&P.

That's probably more info than you wanted!  :blush: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I love the the two cedar planked recipes located on the link below.  One is for a maple glazed plank salmon recipe and the other is for a mustard glazed plank recipe.  Love them both!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188947/planked-salmon-maple-glazed-and-honey-mustard-glazed#latest

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    The natives of the Pacific Northwest only used cedar planks because they didn't have cast iron skillets or metal racks.

I have metal racks and cast iron skillets so I don't use cedar planks. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• damnedhooligan
    damnedhooligan Posts: 213
    edited January 2016
    Options
    400 deg, direct raised, with lots of Meat Church Deez Nuts Pecan rub on all sides since the skin was removed. Flipped once.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Try this.1/3 cup each of: water, brown sugar, soy sauce.  1/4 cup vegetable oil.  Pepper, salt and garlic to taste.   Marinate filets for an hour or two.  Baste the filets as they cook.   This is a family favorite, lends a savory slightly sweet taste.  Sorry no pics but it does create a nice caramel color. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you didnt say if you were looking for something healthy with salmon =)

deep fried croquettes

httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomFileUpload41681d32564805a53315de280471e9bdjpg
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171350/salmon-croquettes

salmon pie with tomato dill sauce

100_0956jpg
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/213861/salmon-pie-with-tomato-dill-sauce

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

I mostly plank but grill direct sometimes.  For planking, I buy a 8' cedar board at Home Depot and cut it into 6 16" planks.  It's about half the cost of buying the individual planks. I buy my salmon at Costco where it's a little less and skinless.  I brush the filet with mayo and season with potlatch seasoning from Williams Sonoma, lay lemon slices and olive oil soaked fresh rosemary on top.  I soak my planks for at least 3 hours.  I heat the plank direct at 500 until it starts popping, put the fish on and reduce to 350-400.  Cook until it turns a golden brown.

When family comes for visit they always ask for me to do the salmon this way.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Webass said:

I mostly plank but grill direct sometimes.  For planking, I buy a 8' cedar board at Home Depot and cut it into 6 16" planks.  It's about half the cost of buying the individual planks. I buy my salmon at Costco where it's a little less and skinless.  I brush the filet with mayo and season with potlatch seasoning from Williams Sonoma, lay lemon slices and olive oil soaked fresh rosemary on top.  I soak my planks for at least 3 hours.  I heat the plank direct at 500 until it starts popping, put the fish on and reduce to 350-400.  Cook until it turns a golden brown.

When family comes for visit they always ask for me to do the salmon this way.

how do you reduce the heat from 500 down to 350???
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I realized my verbose method above may be way too many details for the weary!  :who_me:
    Here is the abridged version;

- Rinse, dry & season the salmon.
    - Prepare the egg for cooking.
    - Place salmon on flesh side down, direct or raised direct.
    - Flip once.  Cook until done.

F-ing yumm!!!   :sunglasses: 

LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you can salt crust them as well, very dilicate in flavor and texture
    this was done with a large trout. for some reason this looks complicated, the hard part is stirring eggwhites into salt =)

DSC_0140-1jpg

DSC_0138-1jpg

DSC_0143jpg

DSC_0145jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I saved this one for quick reference. It's from the forum and I owe credit to someone, not sure who!

Sprinkle a little Dizzy Duzt Raging River and let it sit for 15-20 min. Cook 400, raised direct, skin side side down for 15-16 min (depending on thickness). No flip, no turn, nothing. Comes out moist and juicy every time. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    To go a more savory route try it blackened in a cast iron pan. You can buy blackening spice at the store or look up a recipe online. This is by far my families favorite method but they like cedar planked too. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can do them en croute (in a pastry) or en papillote (in parchment) on the egg for amore delicate flavour as well. Any oven recipe will work with an indirect setup.

Steve 

Caledon, ON