Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in egg

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Burn a load of lump in it @ 600 degrees.  That'll clean it right up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Burn it out, 700 for half an hour usually works.Discard the lump and scrape everything clean.

I have had this problem a ton in my MM, and I think it's due to the tight seal created by the gasket that traps moisture. I've been cooking with no gasket on my large for a couple of years now and have never had this problem. I've started to open the bottom vent once the there's no fire to allow some airflow and I think it's helped.  
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Decot
    Decot Posts: 12
    Tried the high heat, did not cure the problem. Is there anything I can spray like a bleach concoction and then high heat again?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Post a picture of how bad it is and might get some better solutions. But, burning a fire has solved every post on mold I have ever seen. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Mine was pretty extensive this month after a few weeks of no cooking. A good "clean burn" at 700-800 degrees for a couple of hours did the trick for me. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I inherited my brothers egg and it had been under a cover for months with no use (maybe a year).  Crazy thick mold inside when it got to my house.  I got a fresh load of lump up to 600 for about 30 minutes then backed down the heat and let it burn itself out.  Next day I went back and brushed down the inside with a wire grill brush.......all clean!!  Not quite sure how that wouldn't work for you so we need to know a bit more to help diagnose.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Decot
    Thanks, I'll try the fire again and use the brush. Had lots of rain in my area for weeks. Egg on stainless table with BGE cover. I keep all egg ports closed so don't know how moisture gets in. This is my second egg. My first I had for 25 years and never had this problem. Has BGE changed the clay formula?
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I have a group of friends that are all eggers and only one has ever had a mold issue.  He keeps his outside uncovered so I would think water is getting in somewhere (daisy wheel I think) and causing it....Like others say, it'll burn off.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Decot
    After second high heat mold is gone but walls and lid are stained!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    What do you mean by stained? Post pic?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Agree w/ @Chubbs Pics?  Pics or it didn't happen :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • If you ran anything over 500 for an extended period, it's sterile in there. Like others said, discard the lump and egg on. 

Or or grab another cheapo vag of lump and burn again till it exhausts itself. It'll be good then. 

Was there anything like a drip pan left inside that'd be the starting culture?  Maybe some crud in the grate???  That's the only time you be had the fuzzy stuff. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Decot
    edited January 2016
    No drip pan, possibly crud, burned twice, I should be good to go.