Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Move XL

Options
I have a XL egg in a nest that I would like to move from my driveway up three steps to my deck for the winter. During the summer I would like to move it back down to the driveway. Any suggestions on how to move it?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would put a sheet of plywood down man up. 

Edit: I thought it was in a table, not a nest. I move mine on a flat surface with ease, I would have a friend move it uphill with me. 
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Case of beer and call some friends.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Do you have the handler attachment?  If not this might be a great reason to get one.  The egg merely sets in the nest ... the handler ties the egg into the nest.  I know it seems like a waste of money, but it makes moving eggs around much safer.

Since the XL only weighs in at ~220 to 250 lbs, ramps and a helper or two should be a safe way to move it.  Actually, with the nest and handler plus one hefty helper, you should be able to safely "bump" it up and down the steps.  Obviously, taking the guts out would be a help.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JR_Baas
    JR_Baas Posts: 23
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. Has anyone taken off the lid on the XL?  What is involved?   I just hate to take it off because the lid is lined up perfectly. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    JR_Baas said:
    Thanks guys. Has anyone taken off the lid on the XL?  What is involved?   I just hate to take it off because the lid is lined up perfectly. 
    Yes, I have several times. If your dome is perfectly aligned, don't remove it, the XL can be a pain to get straight again.

Only 3 steps, cook up some que and invite the local high school football starters over.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    If you plan on moving it yearly I would suggest building a ramp to make it up the steps. And a handler will make it much easier.  I keep my in the garage and move it to the driveway for cooking and the handler keeps everything lined up and will give you a confident place to maneuver it.  A plywood road to get from the driveway to the deck is a must if you are talking about moving it over grass. 

And as others have suggested invite friends over to move it and pay them with beer and food. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You say you use it in the driveway in the summer - so with this leap of faith I'll assume if you have a driveway then you also have a garage. Rather than two painful moves a year year after year why not carve out a spot in your garage? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JR_Baas
    Options
    RRP said:
    You say you use it in the driveway in the summer - so with this leap of faith I'll assume if you have a driveway then you also have a garage. Rather than two painful moves a year year after year why not carve out a spot in your garage? 
    The whole purpose of getting the egg on the deck an easier cook in the winter. The garage is not attached. Where the egg sits in the summer is closer to the house than the garage. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Get a 2nd XL for your deck.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Get so 2x4's and piece of ply wood and build a ramp from porch to the ground, remove the top and you should be able to pull it up to the porch your self. Mind over matter. Good luck.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    DMW said:
    JR_Baas said:
    Yes, I have several times. If your dome is perfectly aligned, don't remove it, the XL can be a pain to get straight again.

Only 3 steps, cook up some que and invite the local high school football starters over.
    If you haven't had the dome off, you will when it comes time to replace the gasket :) Practice makes perfect :) Remove the dome, the guts and then it really isn't that heavy.  Or as DMW said - friends or the local football team. 
  • JR_Baas
    Options
    Already have a Rutland on it. :)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am with Ozzie....get a secounds one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    get a set of straps that are designed to move big flower pots from a flower and pottery store or home depot, lowes. that is what I use to transport or move my xl if needed.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Anytime I move any of my three, I just loosen the top band and pull the lid.  Lift the fire ring and fire box out.  Takes about a minute to do this.....literally.  That puts the center of gravity low on the bottom half which makes it really easy to move with or without a helper.

Trust me, lining your lid back up is a lot easier than trying to super glue an egg back together.

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I wouldn't risk it. I've only moved my XL once and that's when I moved houses. If you are dead set on it build yourself a ramp that has a very tame angle to it. Something that you can store when you don't need to move it. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options

PotLifter 200-Pound Gardening Heavy Lifting Tool

Signal Mountain, TN
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I  wouldn't risk it. Take it apart. Take the lid off the innards out  and it's pretty manageable. I would still have someone move the base. It will give you a chance for a good cleaning. Warranty doesn't cover dropping it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    When they delivered my XL fully assembled I helped lift it from the back of the truck a fad onto my driveway. All we did was take out the insides and presto. If your doing it a couple times a year with help it's really not that bad depending on how many stairs you have.
  • JR_Baas
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    When they delivered my XL fully assembled I helped lift it from the back of the truck a fad onto my driveway. All we did was take out the insides and presto. If your doing it a couple times a year with help it's really not that bad depending on how many stairs you have.
    How many people did it take to lift it? Did you lift it with the nest? Where did you pick it up?
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I have moved my XL a few times, there were two men to pick it up. Take the guts out and leave it in the nest. Use the nest as something to grab on to. It is not that heavy with everything removed from inside. I would NOT take the top off. I am not as lucky as you as I have tried for two years to get the lid straight and can't. If you are a little unsure I would recommend adding the nest handler. Good luck
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    I'm a weak senior, with my son's help and this gadget it's easy to move the XL with the innards removed ...
    http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451920468&sr=8-1&keywords=potlifter

canuckland
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    JR_Baas said:
    Davec433 said:
    How many people did it take to lift it? Did you lift it with the nest? Where did you pick it up?
    Just myself and another. We lifted it with the nest and the innards. We simply grabbed it by the nest on both sides and moved it. If I was moving it far I'd take the innards out. It's only 219 lbs so if you split that up your really not lifting a whole lot.

My only concern would be where your moving it. If it tips or you trip it could be costly.
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    I just moved a while back and the old table that I had my egg in pretty much broke during the move.  I finally purchased a Nest to put my egg into and did it by myself.  For me, I had to take off the top of the egg.  The Band is two pieces and is simple to loosen up the top piece and pop off the lid and then put back on and line up once I had moved the bottoh half of the egg etc.  Now for you the base of that sucker is sunk into the egg and I would just try to move it within the nest with a friend or use the plywood rampin trick depending on how steep your steps are...maybe this is doable...otherwise you should pull the base of the egg out of the nest and move them down the steps in separate pieces while keeping the band attached to the base...just my 2cents 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    make yourself one of these, about $30 home depot parts. It's a 3-4 beer project.

parts list:
    2 -  2x3x6 wood studs,  2x3 are easier to hold than 2x4
    1 -  2x4x6 wood studs
    2 - 36" long 1/2" threaded rods 
    4 - wing nuts, 4 washers 1/2"
    6-8  - wood screws 3"+ long
    piece of paper big enough to copy egg radius

tools: jig saw, drill with drill & screw bit  for screws and 5/8 hole bit

to make:
    - cut the 2x4x6 in half. 
    - copy egg radius several inches below the base rim (rim part that sticks out below felt rim) on the paper.
    - trace egg radius on both 2x4x6.
    - cut to shape with jig saw.  no need for the wood to go fully around egg.  
    - drill pilot holes and screw shaped 2x4x6 on each 2x3x6 with wood screws, sinks screws so not to scratch egg if drilling from 2x4x6 side
    - come out from 2x4x6 ends about 6 inches and drill one hole each side of 2x4x6 to slide threaded rod through.  drill center of 2x3

to use:
    - run threaded rod through holes each side,  washer & wing nut one side of each board;
    - slip each board around xl base, slip rod through other holes and tighten down with wing nuts,   boards should be opposite sides of handle and hinge. tighten hand tight. 
    - make sure plenty of clearance if egg has eggmate hooks. 
    - you are basically clamping/wedging the xl in the hold you made with the 2x4x6 boards.  
    - when you pick it by the 2x3x6 boards, the boards will bend in a bit but the rods will hold everything together.  If the boards hit the eggmate hooks, loosen, drop down some and re-tighten.  
    -  just make sure the rods have the 2x3x6 boards snug.  

we use the one pictured to carry the cookers all over kingdom come.....real easy, real cheap and stores with no fuss.  take the fire box and fire ring out.

if you look close you can see that the 1/2" rods are bent.  that's why 1/2

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Remove the lid, remove the insides.  Get a family member, friend or neighbor to help you lift the base up / down the steps. Easy peasey. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE