Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature keeps climbing with Smokeware cap?

Options
Recently bought a Smokeware cap.  The temperature keeps climbing.  I have used it both by itself and with my CyberQ.  Been egging almost 2 years (and before that used a Weber) so I am familiar with "locking in" temps before cooks and airflow adjustments.  Did a butt and it rose from 225 to 288 over 6 hours.  Did the same with a roast beef, 250 to 300 during 2.5 hours.  Seems fine cooking 350+ but for anything lower the temp steadily climbs.    Seems this would be a problem with an overnight cook where it could rise at that rate and really effect a cook.  Anyone else have similar issues cooking at lower temps with the cap?  Am I missing something?  I really want to like the product for its weather proof cooking but for overnights I am concerned.  Thanks.  Happy New Year all!
South Jersey / XL Egg

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    If it is the latest Cap design you need to set the cap at it's lowest vent setting for 250. What was your lower vent set at? It should be open 1/4 inch at the most. I have the Smokeware Cap and with my Cyber Q I have held to at 225 - 235 for 15 hrs.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I quit using mine for the same reason. I know I'm in the minority by saying this, but I think it's overrated for low and slows. I cooked in the rain for years with the metal top. No problemo. 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I've used both the old design and the new design on long slow & low cooks. The new design, with the angled slots, definitely makes tuning for holding low temps easier... but it's achievable with either. Here's a shot of how I leave my cap for practically any cook using my CyberQ (click to enlarge):

I did a 24-hour cook on Thursday using my CyberQ. Other than fiddling with my temps more than I should have, it went perfectly. With a small opening in the SmokeWare cap, the CyberQ can peg pit temps with ease:

I started with a setpoint of 225. The spike at 8pm is when I opened the lid. I got nervous about overcooking just before midnight and dropped the setpoint to 200 deg; then around 7am I raised it to 235.

If I could go back, I'd have just left it at 225 and probably would have been fine.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    @dstearn I had the lower vent set at 1/4 inch or smaller when not using the CyberQ.  The top was open more than what was posted above.  Maybe thats it when not using the controller and I'll try again.  Thanks. If not, it's back to the DFMT.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I'll try again, if no luck, I'm with you.  Thanks.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    @DeltaNu1142 Thanks for the visual.  Frustrating not holding temps, especially with the CyberQ, after cooking with the DFMT.  I'll give it another shot with and without the controller.  I run my temp probes through the top so it's only open as wide a necessary to fit the probes.  If not, I may have to just build a roof over my cooking area  ;) and go old school top.  Thanks for the help.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    @DeltaNu1142, BTW I love the Pit Pal app.  Great for documenting cooks for reference later.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • dstearn
    Options
    @dstearn I had the lower vent set at 1/4 inch or smaller when not using the CyberQ.  The top was open more than what was posted above.  Maybe thats it when not using the controller and I'll try again.  Thanks. If not, it's back to the DFMT.
    How long after you start your lump do you leave the top open? 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    @DeltaNu1142 Thanks for the visual.  Frustrating not holding temps, especially with the CyberQ, after cooking with the DFMT.  I'll give it another shot with and without the controller.  I run my temp probes through the top so it's only open as wide a necessary to fit the probes.
    Yeah, I used the DFMT for several months before getting the original SmokeWare cap. I had way more problems regulating with the DFMT, mostly because I didn't keep it closed enough. Then I upgraded to the new cap, for no reason other than I can't leave things well enough alone. I would think running the probe wires through the top would be a PITA, but I've never tried it. I just run them out the side under the lid; the gasket holds just fine.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I start shutting down within 50 degrees of desired temp.  Top closed to the top of the angle and mostly use bottom to adjust from there.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Thanks @DeltaNu1142.  I going to try and run them under the lid.  Do you foil the probe wires to shield from heat?  I use a stone purchased with an adjustable rig so I don't have a platesetter with legs that would provide a shield from heat.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'm not sure why the SmokeWare cap is getting blamed for not being able to hold a steady temperature. After all the rate of burning thus heat generated is a factor of air inflow from the bottom vent and/or a leaky gasket. There are several diehard eggers here who use no cap at all and have no trouble regulating and maintaining their heat. Maybe @CarolinaQ will jump in here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I quit using mine for the same reason. I know I'm in the minority by saying this, but I think it's overrated for low and slows. I cooked in the rain for years with the metal top. No problemo. 
    Not a big fan her either, I do not trust it for long cooks unattended.  I love it for rainy and heavy snow cooks when I am near by, but that is all.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Two times in the last two weeks I've gone over 12 hrs at a rock steady 250 with a v1 SW cap. No toys, just the vents. 
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I went to Home Depot and got one of the chimney caps (I think it is the 8") for household vents.  It fits well over the DFMT, I just put it on for long cooks or when rain threatens.  It fits my level of sophistication.  I also have a band of the ceramic gasket material around the vertical lip of the top of the dome.  

photo IMG_2377_zpsjdvzbxaw.jpg
  • dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I start shutting down within 50 degrees of desired temp.  Top closed to the top of the angle and mostly use bottom to adjust from there.
    I would suggest that you ramp it up slowly. After 5 mins of starting the lump shut down the vents and let it ramp up slowly. Also check your gauge to insure that is calibrated.
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Hard for all of us to know exactly what is happening on your end...but to your question about holding temps at the lower end with the new cap, I have done several low and slows since retiring the DFMT and have held the desired temp overnight with nothing but the cap and the lower vent. That said, without the aid of any auto-temp control, this newbie tends to catnap overnight cooks to peak on the dome temp.

Good luck.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Have had great success with mine, too, but I use the DigiQ exclusively for cooks 375° or under, which, for us, has kept air flow in check pretty much regardless of damper settings. I keep the cap's vent gaps at just slightly more than an 1/8" wide and the motor vent open 30% there about. I get consistent readings even after damaging the cap when I knocked it off my table onto our deck, partly dislodging the cap from the sleeve and leaving quite the opening where the cap and sleeve are joined. There are only 3 spot welds holding the cap to the sleeve. Two of the 3 welds gave way in the fall:
    I'm too cheap to replace it, and since my cooks have not been affected, don't plan to anytime soon.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice.  Like I said above, I really want to like the cap for all of its stated advantages.  I realize temp is a function of airflow and fuel.  Just seems that there is a change in airflow since the cap (so far an unknown increase on my end).  Maybe it's time for a new gasket.  I'll keep at it for a bit.  If it works, great.  If not, it won't be the first accessory I have that sits in the deck box.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    News2u said:
    Have had great success with mine, too, but I use the DigiQ exclusively for cooks 375° or under, which, for us, has kept air flow in check pretty much regardless of damper settings. I keep the cap's vent gaps at just slightly more than an 1/8" wide and the motor vent open 30% there about. I get consistent readings even after damaging the cap when I knocked it off my table onto our deck, partly dislodging the cap from the sleeve and leaving quite the opening where the cap and sleeve are joined. There are only 3 spot welds holding the cap to the sleeve. Two of the 3 welds gave way in the fall:
    I'm too cheap to replace it, and since my cooks have not been affected, don't plan to anytime soon.
    If you're interested in repairing the broken welds on your Smokeware cap, you might consider using HighHeat J-B Weld.  I've not used it for a condition like that, but it may do the trick.
  • RRP
    Options
    For kicks and giggles the next time you fire up plan to add wood chips or chunks so you will definitely be producing smoke and then watch where the smoke is escaping. If it isn't all going out the vents of the SmokeWare then you should be able to determine where the air leakage is.
  • News2u
    Options
    Will definitely give the J-B Weld a shot. Thx for the tip.
  • RRP
    Options
    News2u said:
    Or use Permatex Ultra Copper which is rated at 700 degrees whereas JB Weld is 500 and will crack, lose its grip and fall out.
  • News2u
    Options
    RRP said:
    News2u said:
    Or use Permatex Ultra Copper which is rated at 700 degrees whereas JB Weld is 500 and will crack, lose its grip and fall out.
    You were thinking what I was thinking right after my comment, 700° fits my comfort level more than 500° does.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice.  Like I said above, I really want to like the cap for all of its stated advantages.  I realize temp is a function of airflow and fuel.  Just seems that there is a change in airflow since the cap (so far an unknown increase on my end).  Maybe it's time for a new gasket.  I'll keep at it for a bit.  If it works, great.  If not, it won't be the first accessory I have that sits in the deck box.
    My smokeware cap works fine.  Many people have complained that the shutdown time is very slow and it burns extra charcoal due to that.  Smokeware sells a drop in cap that I put on when I shut everything down.  This snuffs out the fire very quickly.

I also assume you installed the gasket that came with the cap?  Some put it on the cap and others put it on the egg, but make sure it is installed.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • News2u
    Options
    Shiff said:
    My smokeware cap works fine.  Many people have complained that the shutdown time is very slow and it burns extra charcoal due to that.  Smokeware sells a drop in cap that I put on when I shut everything down.  This snuffs out the fire very quickly.

I also assume you installed the gasket that came with the cap?  Some put it on the cap and others put it on the egg, but make sure it is installed.
    Shiff said:

Did not know till now about Smokeware's drop-in cap...will soon acquire. Thx.
  • RRP
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Drop in cap looks like this and works well!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:

Ron, does this cap extinguish the fire faster/more efficiently than simply closing the SW  vents?  Thanks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I have the flat cap as well, and I can say that it extinguishes the coals as quick or quicker than a closed DFMT. I do not know whether it's quicker than the closed chimney cap alone.
  • News2u
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:

Ron, does this cap extinguish the fire faster/more efficiently than simply closing the SW  vents?  Thanks.
    Sweet.