Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab legs - How to?

Options
i played football with the crab thief himself (Jameis winston) lol but I've never cooked them myself.

How do yall cook them? 

Thaw them out first?

thanks for any advice.

Also so on a side note. Cooked my first brisket overnight. 

I mi used a water pan, and foiled at the end. which I know allot of people are against. But after watching aaron Franklin. I figured I cousont go wrong if he does it. Turned out amazing 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Let me offer just one thing on the crab legs. They are precooked so no matter how you chose to cook them, you only want to raise the internal to 135-140. Any higher than this is over cooking and will dry them out. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SGH said:
    Let me offer just one thing on the crab legs. They are precooked so no matter how you chose to cook them, you only want to raise the internal to 135-140. Any higher than this is over cooking and will dry them out. 
    @SGH I was hoping you would chime in. If you were cooking these right now. How would you do them? 
  • SGH
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @SGH I was hoping you would chime in. If you were cooking these right now. How would you do them? 
    Are you set up to steam or boil?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Crab legs are one thing you really don't need the egg for.  You can use it but as Scottie said IT is key, just like with lobster.  They get rubbery when over cooked. (over reheated). For me, steam is a crab legs best friend.  Do the accompanying potatoes and corn on the egg.  Just my 2 cents.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Oh, and nice looking brisket man!  Strong work!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds, I love them in the microwave.

http://www.food.com/recipe/snow-crab-legs-298380

• slovelad
    Options
    SGH said:
    slovelad said:
    Are you set up to steam or boil?
    I think I can do either. I hVe a huge boil put with a basket
  • slovelad
    Options
    rosco said:
    As crazy as it sounds, I love them in the microwave.

http://www.food.com/recipe/snow-crab-legs-298380

@rosco I believe you... But I just can't do it....
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Is Jamies Winston on here? He'd know 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    well you must have a bunch of legs. Why not try one batch? Pepsi challenge?
  • SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you steam them, it shouldn't take but about 10 minutes at most from frozen just depending on how hard you run the steamer.  If you boil them and bring the water to a true rolling boil, they will be done in about 120 seconds if they are completely submerged. For crab legs, you don't have to season the water. You can simply sprinkle a heavy coating of Zatarans powdered shrimp and crab seasoning on the shells when the cooking is complete. They will be plenty spicy using the sprinkle method. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    Options
    @SGH wow just 2 minutes? That's quick
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Steaming is pretty foolproof. Bring a steamer pot up to temp while you grill your steak. When the steak is done throw the crabbies in the pot. Grill your veggies while the steak rests and the crab gets up to temp, about 10 minutes. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @SGH wow just 2 minutes? That's quick
    Bare in mind that is totally submerged and at a full rolling boil. Not a easy boil or simmer. 

Status- Standing by.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @blind99 great looking appetizer....where is the main course???
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @badinfluence I didn't take any pictures, too hungry - that was my wife's plate :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question!!! Even though I probably shouldn't admit it I love that show "Deadliest Catch"!  I have always wondered why the catch from several boats were worth million$ RAW! Then obviously processed, distributed and marked up in price they are not cheap, and I have always passed them by for not knowing what to do with them! Looks like I'll learn something new tonight for sure! THANKS again!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.