Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Butt - suggestions/advice?

Options
Got a  3lb pork butt from heinens today - figured I would try my first butt.  I want it ready at 1pm on sunday.  Suggestions on cooking, marinade, rub, etc?

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    A good rub to start with is the recipe at amazingribs.com called Memphis Dust

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

A 3 lb. butt will probably be done in about 4-5 hrs. max. at 250-275.  It's probably boneless at that size so temp is going to be your best bet when it's done and will pull well around 197-203 depending on the sturcture of the meat, everyone is different.  
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Every piece of meat is different, but a good rule of thumb for a pork butt is to allow 1-1.5 hours per pound on the Egg @ 235-240 degrees.  Here's a good link for a step by step method for pulled pork.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    thanks - it is a boneless pork butt
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    No marinade.  Just rub of your choice.  Enjoy, and welcome to the club. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You may be able to find some info in the below thread:
    New Years Pork Fest! Enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I am a fan of turbo method, so cook at 350-375 to an internal temp of 203. The number is arbitrary as I've heard every number from 190-205, but that's just what I do. I've done as small as a 4lb butt with good success.

Go simple with the rub and avoid heavy sugar, especially if u choose to go turbo, as the sugar can burn. I like bad byrons butt rub and dizzy dust.

For wood I haven't found one I don't like, but cherry and apple are both great with pork.

Good luck!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    if it's all falling apart before you start, tie it up with some twine so it stays a consistent shape.  apply your rub of choice.  as far as remade, i like dizzy dust, but it's easy to google/make your own too.  cook it indirect at a temp you can comfortably maintain, like 250-275.  internal temp of 200 should be enough that it pulls easily but it may be a little less or a little more.  

and take pictures to share!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I am a fan of turbo method, so cook at 350-375 to an internal temp of 203. The number is arbitrary as I've heard every number from 190-205, but that's just what I do. I've done as small as a 4lb butt with good success.

Go simple with the rub and avoid heavy sugar, especially if u choose to go turbo, as the sugar can burn. I like bad byrons butt rub and dizzy dust.

For wood I haven't found one I don't like, but cherry and apple are both great with pork.

Good luck!
    Love the turbo method.  Figure around 45 min/lb. As per the rub, I lightly coat the butt with yellow mustard and usually use Bad Byron's Butt Rub.  I shoot for 200 degrees and then begin to probe it.  It should feel like probing "buttah"!  I also foil/towel/cooler it for 30 minutes-1hour.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think with 3lber I would do a low n slow - turbo mix.  Start out at 250ish and once the meat hits 159-160 crank the egg to 350. This will let you get more smoke than a true turbo that would prolly cook your 3lber in about 3 hrs.  By doing the mix I'm guessing around 4hrs but I've had smaller butts be the most stubborn to finish.  I totally agree with @blind99 suggestion to tie it up.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Coat with mustard and then with your favorite rub. A accurate meat thermometer helps. I never cooked one that small. On a 8-10 pounder I let it go for 6-8 hours before getting the first temp  when cooking at 250-275*. On a 3lb butt and since it's your first I would get a reading at 2-3 hours. There are really just a few temps that are really needed and none are precise. When the butt enters the stall, when it is exiting, and the final temperature. During the stall or before you can go about your business; after that your time is then limited. The greatest increase in temperatures will occur prior to the stall; once stalled the temperature will on raise slightly, after the stall the temps will again rise but slower than the initial. Taking temperature readings vs time will give a baseline for future cooks.

Pork butts are forgiving. You can bump up the temperature if running short on time or back off if more time is needed. If I cook at a higher temp, aka Turbo, I back it down after the butt hits 170*. 

• blakeas
    Options
    so this is at 2 hours and the internal temp is 145 - it actually has a little bone in it by the way.  I have had the temp at 275 the whole cook
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You can bump the temp as per @Mattman3969 above to get to the finish without ill effect.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Just don't worry if it starts to stall. Feel free to bump the temp as mentioned. As long as you keep an eye on the temp, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • blakeas
    Options
    it was 10:45 last night when It finally came up to temp.  So it took around 4.5 hours...  at 275
  • blakeas
    Options
    all, it was just ok.  I got pulled pork from somewhere here in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago and it was so juicy and tender.  That's what I was going for.  I guess it is all in the meat, cut?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    blakeas said:
    all, it was just ok.  I got pulled pork from somewhere here in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago and it was so juicy and tender.  That's what I was going for.  I guess it is all in the meat, cut?
    Try to get a full pork butt that will have more fat content and bone in.  There are a lot of ways to make it juicy, like wrapping it in foil when it gets to 145 or so or just let it sit for a bout 30 minutes before you pull it and save your drippings to put back into it.  Some have added a Coke to help with juiciness I believe on here.  The last 2 I did, took to 145, pulled double wrapped in foil, finished in the oven so I could cook ribs next.  I let them sit out for about 30 minutes or so, add about a 1/3 of the drippings back in when I put it into a crock pot.  It was some of my best pulled pork. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I used to cut off a lot of the fat with the idea that it would get me more bark.  Lately I've done only a minimal trim and the butt was definitely juicier.  I'm also a big fan of brining.

You might try going a little bigger - leftovers are a good thing, and It may not dry out on you if you do a 10lb.  I always do two butts at once, since it's no extra work.

Phoenix 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    sounds like only one cheek!!  Go get the other cheek and cook them both, lol.  I usually do my rub, then go around 275 until internal is to target as has already been hashed out above
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Here is my method- havent done on egg  but a few times on the Weber.  I am guessing the temp during cook is ~300.

2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    6 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 tablespoon cayenne/ Red Pepper
    1/2 tablespoons Crushed Garlic
    2 tablespoons Rudys Seasoning

*1/3 White Onion in large slices
    *1 tablespoon Apple Cider

#3 Pork Butt

Rub onto pork and wrap in cling wrap overnight
    Use remaining Rub before placing on smoker
    Smoke for 2+ on rack, put fat side up

Place Sliced onion pieces and Apple Cider in Dutch Oven
    Put pork butt fat side up in Dutch oven in Smoker until tender ~205 degrees
    Pull Pork add Franklins Vinegar Sauce
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blasting said:

I used to cut off a lot of the fat with the idea that it would get me more bark.  Lately I've done only a minimal trim and the butt was definitely juicier.  I'm also a big fan of brining.

You might try going a little bigger - leftovers are a good thing, and It may not dry out on you if you do a 10lb.  I always do two butts at once, since it's no extra work.

My thoughts exactly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blakeas
    Options
    can anyone give me some more info on brining a pork butt?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    blakeas said:

What i do recommend is a dry rub of salt on the meat surface uncovered in fridge for a few days ahead of cook.  This does draw surface moisture out and results in a pellicle effect that helps cause great crust formation.   Any spices you add the night before is your call for dry rub but i never use sugar of any kind.   

I do put beer in drip pan though as that helps the fat drippings from becoming too charred during cook anotd adding a bitter flavor to meat

My go to dry rub for pork is two parts salt, one part red chili powder and one part ground black pepper.   Anything you add to this should be in smaller amounts and really is a matter of taste.   I always cook pb at 210 for 1.5 hr per lb, a.d for last 30 mins i wrap in foil, pour in pan drippings, and crank heat to 275.   This method has never failed me.   Good crust, moist meat, not overly smoky, nice bark, tasty easy to shred meat has always been the result.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    Options
    blakeas said:

A lot of guys use The Briner - myself included.  Makes things really easy.  Otherwise a food safe bucket and a food savered brick helps keep the meat in the water.

Recipe (per butt - double if two butts)
    1 cup pickling salt - (dissolves easily)
    3/4 cup molasses
    1 tablespoon of any rub
    1 cup of apple juice
    2 cups hot water to aid in mixing everything 
    Add the pork butts and cover with cold water
    Brine for 24 hours

Making room in the fridge for the bucket is the hardest part of the process - otherwise takes about 2 minutes.

edit - when you apply the rub after brining - make your own or get one that has no salt, or your end result could be too salty.  I recently tried Alton Brown's home made rub and I thought it was pretty good.

Phoenix