Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg or XL Egg.

Options
2»

Comments

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    When I went in to make the purchase try had all the BGE's sitting next to each other. The large which I intended to buy looked small next to the XL and the XL was only 300 dollars so it just made sense to go bigger now instead of later.
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    2 XLs works for me.  The XL is extremely versatile in that you can do direct and indirect at the same time or raised and not raised at the same time or indirect and raised at the same time, etc. etc. etc.
    THIS +1,000

In the XL you can cook for 1 or for 40.

Think about a whole suckling pig, a whole cabrito (goat), direct sear for 10 ribeye steaks, 15 hamburgers, 50 chicken wings... ONLY the XL

Direct and indirect at the same time.
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    Options

ChefB85 said:
    Thanks for all the feedback, my cousin has two mediums because I don't know what he was thinking. Money is not a problem I am just concerned with wasting charcoal if I buy the XL egg. Is that a possibility, or am I just overthinking this? I plan on buying mine in the next 3 weeks so I appreciate everyones feedback. You guys are all great, and I cannot wait to buy mine. 

never mind charcoal usage, use a couple of firebricks as a lump reducer.

I've had my egg since august and used about FIVE 16 lbs bags of charcoal and I use the egg at least 2 times a week, some weeks even 4 times, I've done high heat cooks, long cooks.

And I have half bag left and charcoal in my Egg for at least TWO short cooks.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I have a Large and Med.  My recommendation is two Larges.  You'll be able to switch accessories when needed.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    you can cook 30 pounds plus pulled pork in a large and 30 wings in a mini =)  i would buy those two first then if comp cooking becomes real down the road add another smoker and a kettle grill. i used to have a large and small at home, downsized the small to a mini and it easily cooks for two and uses almost no lump.  my mini gets the most use
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    While I don't own an XL, I do know that when I added my second egg, I became a much happier egger. I still wanted to eat while I was drinking beer and waiting for my smoking to get done. For that reason alone, you should buy two eggs.  =)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    It's the "drool factor" when you own an XL; my other neighbors cook on a Large egg or a Traeger.    I have the community mailbox on my corner w/48 slots, and it's about 20' from my XL.  They all comment on the smells coming from my egg, and many of them have got to "sample" the cooks right off the grill.  BGE should be giving me a commission on all the eggs I sell for them in just my neighborhood!
  • Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Options
    I have owned a large since mid 2006. I added a XL to the arsenal in May of this year. Glad I did. If I could do it over again I would have purchased a XL to begin with in 2006. If it is one or the other, my rec is the XL.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    When I purchased my large, my dealer talked me out of the XL.  I use my egg 2-3 times a week (just finished up some cedar plank salmon) and I have to say that only about twice did I feel like a needed more room.  I guess the large was the right size for me after all.   I just want a MM to go with my large.   Hopefully the better half will have a MM under the tree for me.   Fingers crossed.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Go xL for sure!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Gwizrace
    Options
    Xl all the way  love mine
    Cheektowaga N.Y      LBGE,PRIMO XL, COOKSHAKE fec100,TRAEGER PRO 34,
    Hunsaker Drum,WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN 22.5,Bbq Guru Dx2,Cyberq Could 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I started with an XL, then got a LG, then a MiniMax and now added another XL to the collection.  I wish i wouldve learned on a LG and i wish i wouldve had a vortex fire box reducer to save fuel.  But, my favorite Egg far and away is the minimax.  it is a novel new toy that I can't leave alone...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    XL. You can thank me later, after you do a packer more than 14 pounds. Or cook for a dinner party, or........etc.
    Merry Christmas!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    XL...................nuff said
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • saaben
    saaben Posts: 28
    Options
    XL without a doubt. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    XL.  No substitute for having the extra cook space when you want it.  I also have a medium for smaller cooks so I go back and forth depending upon the cook.

As as far as charcoal use goes, the XL will use a small amount more than an L because of the extra mass that is being heated up.  You'll need to be cooking everyday on it before it might become a consideration.  I would not worry about it.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Large is plenty big enough, if you want to increase your cooking capabilities get the adjustable rig and the add ons for the large. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ChefB85
    Options
    Just bought the Large today!!!! I can't wait to make some pulled pork and brisket this weekend!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    ChefB85 said:
    Just bought the Large today!!!! I can't wait to make some pulled pork and brisket this weekend!
    Congrats!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Congratulations! You can't go wrong either way! Remember...pictures or it didn't happen.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Glad you got an egg! Like many, my first was a large, followed up by a small, to cook something while the large was working on a low and slow.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Congrats on the buy and go easy on the after-market toys for a while.  
    Here's a great link for all things ceramic.  Chances are if you have a question the answer is in there somewhere.  And his recipe section is quite good.   http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm   
    When people start mentioning spatchcock chix give the recipe section above a look.  An excellent way to cook chix on the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • VanDawg38
    Options
    Large served me well for years.  Had to cook a 24 pound turkey for Thanksgiving.  Wife said she wanted it spatched, told her I'd need an XL to do it.  She made it happen.  :)

Large is still my goto egg, at least until I get an adjustable rig for XL. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @VanDawg38 - now that is how to get it done.  Nice move right there.  And full props to SWMBO for staying the course.  Time to get the AR while you can. Better to be lucky than good any day!
    Edit: apologize for the partial hi-jack but the above merits acknowledgement.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    I have a XL and Mini Max.  I love them both and think it's a great combo. I 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Congratulations on the hatching of your new baby! I'm sure you will enjoy the ride. And yes, seriously look into the AR and Woo, they lend a lot of options.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa