Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Appetizer That You Will Ever Eat.

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    Dude, my brother, Roll Tide!!!!
    They indeed rolled tonight my friend. Hope they can do it one more time!!
    SEC. Tide will Roll.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Made it tonight exactly as prescribed. HOLY COW!! That stuff is amazing. For the easy prep and amazing flavor, this is sure to be a regular in the rotation!! Really incredible Scotty.  Yum.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    SGH said:
    brimee said:
    It better be as good as you say...
    I guess if it isn't it had to be my substitutions  :s
    Well, what's the verdict brother? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
    thumbs up of course, I really like poblano peppers!

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    It's on like Donky Kong!! Will be eating shortly.  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Down right AWESOME!! Thanks Scottie! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I am going to try and get this in the rotation for the weekend. Has all of my favorite things except the Ritz crackers. @SGH, any ideas for a substitution for the crackers? I know I should try the recipe as is, but then, I would probably wind up throwing the rest of the crackers out. Also anxiously awaiting the tater tot recipe.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Dredger
    Sister, I have only tried it with Ritz crackers so I really can't give a honest assessment of any substitution. It would just be a guess on my part. With that said, if I was going to take a shot in the dark it would probably be with Panko bread crumbs. Why? Most everyone likes them. Again, that is just a guess though. The Ritz works so well that I have never deviated from the recipe since the late 70's. It's simply spectacular as is and as such I have stuck with it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @brimee @Thatgrimguy @loveTheEgg
    Im glad to hear that y'all enjoyed it my friend. It's one of those things that just sounds to easy to be true. But it's a winner for sure. Great looking loaves above my friends. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks, @SGH, will give Panko a try. Always have plenty on hand. I don't know why, have just always disliked Ritz crackers. The kids like them though. I'll do a Panko one just for us this week and the next time the kids come over, I'll make both for a taste test side by side.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dredger
    Just use the same weight of Panko as a sleeve of Ritzs weighs. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Options
    Just use the same weight of Panko as a sleeve of Ritzs weighs.
    Will do and post pics. Thanks!

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @Dredger& @SGH may I respectfully offer a substitution for Ritzs crackers?  You might consider Salteen crackers. My assumption is they would be a closer profile with salt, fat and texture. Panko with offer the binding properties but little or nothing with taste. 
    IL 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Damn Bama made the Spartans their **** last night!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Damn Bama made the Spartans their **** last night!
    Brother I was so glad that Bama lashed them. I was smiling like a mule chewing briars =) Hope that the Tide keeps right on rolling!!

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have never deviated from the recipe since the late 70's. It's simply spectacular as is and as such I have stuck with it. 

@SGH   you've been sitting on this recipe without sharing for 40 years?!

Looks great, will be trying very soon.  Thanks.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    @SGH   you've been sitting on this recipe without sharing for 40 years?!

You know, I really don't know why I never posted it before. I guess that I got caught up in the game of one up man ship that is so prevalent and just thought it to simple. However that is the true beauty of this one. It's cheap, easy to make, and simply outstanding. Looking back, I wish that I would have shared it 2 years ago. It's a winner for sure my friend. Hope that you enjoy it. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I was at a holiday party the other night and someone had brought over a bunch of different cookies. I was about 7 or 8 into my favorite one when I realized they were just Ritz covered in dark chocolate. I still ate about 4 or five more...
    You see, that is a perfect example of something not really sounding that good but in reality it is actually awesome. The sausage loaf is the same way. It doesn't sound that impressive at all, but it honestly is. Was the cookies pretty good? Could you detect the Ritz? 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks great and easy brother!  Appetizer for two my friend.
    Or one heavyweight :D

Status- Standing by.

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    I was at a holiday party the other night and someone had brought over a bunch of different cookies. I was about 7 or 8 into my favorite one when I realized they were just Ritz covered in dark chocolate. I still ate about 4 or five more...
    You see, that is a perfect example of something not really sounding that good but in reality it is actually awesome. The sausage loaf is the same way. It doesn't sound that impressive at all, but it honestly is. Was the cookies pretty good? Could you detect the Ritz? 
    The cookies were INSANELY good. Once I realized what the Ritz were I could certainly detect them. They're a good cracker.

I'm happy to give this recipe a shot at some point in the not too distant future. Sounds like it's great!

I would have guessed club crackers as a possible sub for the Ritz, panko seems like it might be too crunchy and not buttery/salty enough.

Cheers man, great post. Bookmarked!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SGH
    Options
    I would have guessed club crackers as a possible sub for the Ritz, panko seems like it might be too crunchy and not buttery/salty enough.
    Again, I have only used Ritz myself. I pulled Panko out of the air only because it has a semi-neutral taste. Most folks like it. Not everyone likes saltines. I'm sure that there are many things that will probably work well. However I have never personally tried anything else. As cheap as Ritz is, I would recommend sticking with them because I know for sure that it turns out great with them. Anything else is a shot in the dark. Again, I was just taking a guess to what most folks would possibly like if they didn't have Ritz. The Panko may actually suck in the loaf. 

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Question, @SGH ...
    You mention in your recipe, 1 pack Shredded Cheddar Cheese...
    How many ounces?  8oz, 12oz. or 16oz.?
    I'll be shredding from bulk. I'm guessing 8oz.
    Going to whip this up Sunday for NFL Football games.
    Thanks.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    The photo shows an 8oz pkg.
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @Durangler picture back on pg 1 shows an 8 oz bag.

Let us know how it turns out. Consensus so far is awesome...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A double batch fit perfectly in a 11" x 9" aluminum pan. I made no substitutions,  I used only 1/2 of a bell pepper and pecan wood for smoke. Everything else was as directed.
    I sliced and cut it into bite size pieces.
    Everyone enjoyed. It would also be great for breakfast with scrambled eggs.
    Definitely a winner!
    We need to come up with a name for this appetizer.
    How about "Scotty bites"?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    leftovers (that is if you save some) worked great as a nacho topping... 
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Durangler said:
    I had to look on the pack myself. But it is 8oz my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Durangler said:
    I had to look on the pack myself. But it is 8oz my friend. 

I gotta be honest, scottie, it's a bit of a letdown that you dont milk cows and make your own cheese. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    I gotta be honest, scottie, it's a bit of a letdown that you dont milk cows and make your own cheese. 
    I have sure done more than my share of it in a time gone by my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @SGH - You hit the trifecta of adjectives that make me happy in many areas of life.  Fast, cheap & easy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH - You hit the trifecta of adjectives that make me happy in many areas of life.  Fast, cheap & easy.
    I'm inclined to agree my brother.  

Status- Standing by.