Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Effects from beer

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked many chickens using beer in the cooking process. Also have made recipes which include beer. I read here to use beer as an overnight marinade for baby backs and have a rack cut and marinating now. I plan to rinse in the morning and rub with Gfw's Memphis rub and then follow his 3/1/1.5 which I've done successfully several time before. Now my question...what effect does beer have as a marinade? Flavor? or tenderize the meat/fat content?, or just waste good beer?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_05_9913_40_01.jpg
    <p />RRP, depends on the beer - any thing less than Guiness is probably a waste of good beer. The picture abdthe page dates back to 11/99 - seems like a long time ago - I actually prefer the Memphis-Style rub in a plastic bag for about 12-24 houres. Just my thoughts and Good luck! :~}

[ul][li]Guinness/Apple Baby Back Ribs [/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RRP,[p]I agree with GFW on the taste, unless the beer is a stronger one, you probably will not notice it in the meal. Beer is mildly acidic and makes a great gentle tenderizer.[p]Spin

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Spin:[p]My experience has been that beer or wine are great marinates; yet on the BBQ FAQ mention is made NOT to use alcohol with fowl. No mention is made as why you shouldn't. Can anyone clear this up for me?
  • Spin
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I would be very interested in learning why alcohol should be avoided in fowl marinades. Alcohol boils at 180°F and can be removed by heating the marinade. I did the bourbon chicken last weekend. Preperation included a 3 hour marination in the bourbon marinade.[p]Next time I will heat the marinade first. I will let you know if there is any difference.[p]Spin

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Spin,
    In an ealier post you answered your own question, my brother. Alcohol is a tenderizer and fowl is extremely tender to begin with and the addition of alcohol would have a tendency to turn the meat into mush. Thereby losing its texture.
    Give my Sis, Sue a hug!!

• Spin
    Options
    JJ,[p]It is amazing how easy it is to overlook the obvious. Thank you, my friend.[p]Sue sends here love,
    Spin