Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oven mits enough?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are oven mits enough to pull a plate setter out at 250%? I don't want to find out the hard way. I know I need some welders gloves but I'm in a time crunch. Thanks.

Comments

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    eggidiot,
    I use a pair of those silicon oven mitts to remove a hot plate setter - they work just fine. You can also put them in the dishwasher to clean them off afterwards. You should be able to find them at a well-stocked kitchen store.[p]Brian

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    IMG_0327.jpg
    <p />eggidiot,
    Double up on them and you'll be just fine in a pinch. In the future consider these Orca's about $15 EACH at Amazon. You can go diving into your coals up to 550 degrees if that gives you kicks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Do these come in green?

• RRP
    bw, honestly I don't think so as the word "blue" is actually even part of the product's name. Now, here's a hooker - I just shopped Amazon and they apparently don't carry it anymore - when I did find them they are like $40 a piece not a pair! Besides that they only go to 300 degrees now! Just today I was in harms way with them way higher than 400 digging an item out of hot lava-like coals - so go figure that one!

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    RRP,
    Try Williams-Sonoma. On sale for $12.95 each. These are the ones I use and they work quite well.[p]Brian

[ul][li]Williams-Sonoma silicone oven mits[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    RRP,[p]Orka mits ROCK! You can pick up a 500 degree pizza stone and stroll around your yard for about 30 seconds before you feel anything. Just be sure to put it down quickly & gently, then take the mits off cause they will get warm after a bit.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • RRP
    BrianP,
    Thank you - not that I intend to buy another set of them - OTOH I knew good and well mine were rated above 500 degrees - as well as having that fact in print in a "Cook's Illustrated" mag issue from a year or so ago. Furthermore when I went diving into HELL this afternoon a mere set of welder's gloves or 300 degree mitts would have made my fingers history!

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    RRP,[p]My Orca's are great! Use em to move hot lump, pick up pizza stones and plate-setters without a problem...
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    RRP,
    I have those in black that I got from Bed Bath and Beyond and love them.
    Larry