Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Star Wars The Force Awakens discussion (SPOILERS)

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My younger daughter also was unhappy w. the similarities to New Hope.  I don't know why this is such a big deal. It is the same story, just another chapter. Nobody goes, "Oh, Game of Thrones, which character will get killed off in this episode."

Any rate, Rey is much more interesting than Luke. She doesn't want to get off the planet.  And why would she care if the storm troopers wipe out a village. Most of the villagers don't care about her, or would be happy to kill her.

Finn is not Jar-jar. Maybe Samwise. A little lame, but doughty.

Kylo "Emo" Ren is just a Vader wanna be. Except for when he stops the blaster bolt, he's not much of a Force adept.

And the wipe of the new "death star" was a classic cliff hanger. We've got 30 minutes, we've got 4 minutes, we've got 30 seconds. Come on. That was a completely ridiculous, enjoyable push it right to the last moment.

And the first one, tah-dah! tah dah! Triumph! Joy! This one. Hey old man, want to take up your sword again?

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Where do they keep coming up with the materials and funds to build these Death Stars and Death Star planet? Someone ran the numbers on what it would cost to make the materials, ship them to a location in space, and construct a basic, no thrills, Death Star.
    The total: $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226.94.
    In the books, there was supposed to be 2 of those artificial planets completed soon after the battle for Endor. One of the planets was converted into a death star planet later on.

http://gizmodo.com/5146010/death-star-costs-156-septillion-14-trillion-times-the-us-debt

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    i saw it last night and enjoyed it a lot.   Though I agree it is a remake it was very well done.  I got choked up when Han and Chewy showed up, and when Leia appeared.  I think Rey is Luke's child.  The wise old barkeep sure reminded me of Yoda too.  It is an old and often told story line, but Star Wars is special.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Whatever dudes!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Just one question after watching it, how come every storm trouper was wearing armor and a helmot died after being shot just once??? What is the point of all that armor then? Why not just wear jeans and a white T-shirt?  Just sayin ...
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've seen it twice now. There was a Storm Trooper JB-007 played by Daniel Craig. I'm NOT making this up. Check it out on IMDB.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    yep that was daniel craig making a secret cameo.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i saw it for the second time this weekend.....I actually enjoyed it a great deal more the second time around. first time it was a 7 out of 10.........second time I give it an 8 out of 10.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Steve753 said:
    I've seen it twice now. There was a Storm Trooper JB-007 played by Daniel Craig. I'm NOT making this up. Check it out on IMDB.
    Wait...what??? 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Steve753 said:
    Wait...what??? 
    The storm trooper that Rey mind tricked into letting her go while she was strapped to that table was Mr. Bond himself. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I finally saw it this weekend and I enjoyed it. Was it the best? No, but it wasn't bad.

Finally glad people in the Star Wars universe have learned how to shoot their guns. I mean, come on. In the previous movies, nobody could hit the broad side of a barn. Finally, people can hit what they are aiming at.

How is it that everybody in the SW universe, can take one look at a piece of machinery they've never seen before and either A) know what's wrong with it and fix it? or B)sabotage it so it will fail or blow up at just the right moment?

I don't know. I liked it. Will probably go see the next one just like every body else.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Just one question after watching it, how come every storm trouper was wearing armor and a helmot died after being shot just once??? What is the point of all that armor then? Why not just wear jeans and a white T-shirt?  Just sayin ...

And in the 40 yrs or so, they never taught those Storm Troopers or Tie Fighter pilots how to aim......they always miss!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

And in the 40 yrs or so, they never taught those Storm Troopers or Tie Fighter pilots how to aim......they always miss!

But at least their accuracy wasn't called out like at the beginning of A New Hope.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    As a big fan of the franchise, I love it... I was disappointed with a few choices they went with, ie Starkiller (Death Star version III) and another orphan with a wanted droid on a desert planet, but overall they did a great job capturing the essence of Star Wars.  The whole time I was watching this movie, and I have already seen it three times, I felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie.  It had wonderful elements and the new generation of heroes and villains were a breath of fresh air.

Yes, Harrison Ford wanted to be killed off in ROTJ, so this was no surprise to me and I felt they did a good job.

New First Order storm troopers are bad a$$, Rey is awesome, Poe is a natural leader and stellar fighter pilot, and Kylo Ren may have one of the best movie voices of all time!   Kylo Ren's desire to become more powerful than Vader is quite a motivator and he seems to be well on his way.  I thought they made his character a very interesting one.  He fights the same battle as Anakin/Vader between the light and the dark side.  He has already shown more powers than Vader with regards to mind interrogation and freezing a laser bolt from Poe's riffle.  And he isn't even fully trained yet!  

I believe JJ felt and he needed to make a sort of reboot to A New Hope in order to reconnect old fans while creating a whole new generation of fans.  I felt it was mostly acceptable with the hope that the next two movies go completely off the grid and take a new direction.

I am personally looking forward to the long rumoured Boba Fett stand along movie.  I think that could be pretty cool as well.   

The Force will be with you... always
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Acn said:

But at least their accuracy wasn't called out like at the beginning of A New Hope.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    As a big fan of the franchise, I love it... I was disappointed with a few choices they went with, ie Starkiller (Death Star version III) and another orphan with a wanted droid on a desert planet, but overall they did a great job capturing the essence of Star Wars.  The whole time I was watching this movie, and I have already seen it three times, I felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie.  It had wonderful elements and the new generation of heroes and villains were a breath of fresh air.

Yes, Harrison Ford wanted to be killed off in ROTJ, so this was no surprise to me and I felt they did a good job.

New First Order storm troopers are bad a$$, Rey is awesome, Poe is a natural leader and stellar fighter pilot, and Kylo Ren may have one of the best movie voices of all time!   Kylo Ren's desire to become more powerful than Vader is quite a motivator and he seems to be well on his way.  I thought they made his character a very interesting one.  He fights the same battle as Anakin/Vader between the light and the dark side.  He has already shown more powers than Vader with regards to mind interrogation and freezing a laser bolt from Poe's riffle.  And he isn't even fully trained yet!  

I believe JJ felt and he needed to make a sort of reboot to A New Hope in order to reconnect old fans while creating a whole new generation of fans.  I felt it was mostly acceptable with the hope that the next two movies go completely off the grid and take a new direction.

I am personally looking forward to the long rumoured Boba Fett stand along movie.  I think that could be pretty cool as well.   

The Force will be with you... always
    I thought Kylo Ren was freaking awesome...then he took his mask off and that feeling kinda fizzled.  I think they blew their wad too soon with all that.  Could have let people believe it could be Luke or whatever.  Would have had a lot of peeps beliving Luke went to the darkside like his pops.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options

I thought Kylo Ren was freaking awesome...then he took his mask off and that feeling kinda fizzled.  I think they blew their wad too soon with all that.  Could have let people believe it could be Luke or whatever.  Would have had a lot of peeps beliving Luke went to the darkside like his pops.  
    I thought stopping the blaster bolt was a bit much, but when he drug that officer across the room by his neck I almost started cheering. I always like the bad guys.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Anyone interested in getting the blu-ray for free after online rebate?

The site below shows how to get Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie free after cash back. 

http://www.southernsavers.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-raydvd-free-after-cash-back/

When you go to setup the Topcashback account, if you use my referral link, I will get $10 for the referral. It’s a win-win, if you want to do it.

Here’s my referral link:

http://www.topcashback.com/ref/member46427277411

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I will add you get it from Walmart and it is in-store pick up
    Boom
  • Acn
    Options
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    ^ just watched this morning. I can't wait

I am almost done with Clone Wars show. Going to watch Rebels next. Have been reading some of the books too
    Boom
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I think rogue one looks good. I just hope they don't start running these into the ground like I think they're doing with marvel movies. Especially avengers ect. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i believe they said the next 4 or 5 will be 2-3 years apart
  • Acn
    Options
    tonyled said:
    I think that was for the 'Main' Star Wars movies.  What I've heard is Rogue One this year, Episode VIII in 2017, the Han Solo movie in 2018, Episode IX in 2019, and then another stand alone anthology movie in 2020.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options

Acn said:
    tonyled said:
    I think that was for the 'Main' Star Wars movies.  What I've heard is Rogue One this year, Episode VIII in 2017, the Han Solo movie in 2018, Episode IX in 2019, and then another stand alone anthology movie in 2020.
    that looks more accurate.  i read that a while back so probly old info
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I think rogue one looks good. I just hope they don't start running these into the ground like I think they're doing with marvel movies. Especially avengers ect. 
    Agreed, I'm a reformed comic book nerd and even I think it's a bit much. I like the grittier feel of this one and can't wait to see how it works out. I'll be catching this one in the theater for sure.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I haven't seen this movie yet, nor have read this thread.  Wilma just brought it home yesterday and we'll prolly see it Saturday.  It sux that we didn't see it in the theater, but what can you do?
    Flint, Michigan
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

The site below shows how to get Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie free after cash back. 

http://www.southernsavers.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-raydvd-free-after-cash-back/

When you go to setup the Topcashback account, if you use my referral link, I will get $10 for the referral. It’s a win-win, if you want to do it.

Here’s my referral link:

I had to go to WalMaert anyway, so I gave this a shot.  You owe me $22 if it doesn't!!!!!!  :)
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Here’s my referral link:

I had to go to WalMaert anyway, so I gave this a shot.  You owe me $22 if it doesn't!!!!!!  :)
    ha! I did my order yesterday. I have the movie and I got alert today my $22 refund is pending and will be avail to transfer to my bank (no fees, of course) within 3 business days
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @stlcharcoal did you use my referral link so I get the $10?
    Boom